Can someone advise me

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by bhavani namal, Mar 16, 2010.

1. bhavani namal

bhavani namal New Member

Hi all
    I am right now pregnant in my third month.I am in US and i didnt get my insurance.As per law without insurance no doctor treats pregnant ladies.
    so i am planning to go India as soon as possible.Its a long journey.
    I am planning to take qatar airways from NY.all the way 12.5 hrs journey.
    a 2hr halt and then again 4hrs.
    I dont have a doctor here to advise.
    I dont know whether to travel in 3rd month or any risks associated with
    my travelling.and i cant even stay for long time here without medication.
    till now i didnt go to a doctor.my husband is also worried a lot.
    so i want to know whether is it safe to have a journey in my 3rd month or to go after completing 3rd month...
    Pls advise.

Thanks a lot
    bhavani.

2. missamoo

missamoo Well-Known Member

flying when pregnant isn't a problem until your past 7 months (I think). they won't carry you then in case you go into labour enroute!
    the one thing you need to be careful of deep vein thrombosis so make sure you walk around alot on the flight and wear support socks if you can.

3. tickledpink3

tickledpink3 Mommy to Olivia and Aubre

It isn't a law where if you don't have insurance and pregnant, they don't treat you. It's more of a preference for private practices. It's safe but I do have some questions.

1) Not sure why you are wanting to return to India as regardless if you have insurance or not, there are state and local programs for mothers without insurance. Have you looked into that?

2) Where your husband works, does he have insurance that would you could get on? Or is he self employed?

4. eckarta

eckarta Well-Known Member

We had insurance and it got to be too expensive and THEN found out we were pregnant.. we applied for Medicaid thru our local office and qualified for that.. it has income guidelines so you could always check that out... and i dont think its a law here that if you have to have insurance before they will treat you... i know for a fact that in hospital elevators there are signs that say that they dont have the right to refuse you if you dont have insurance (might just be ER wise...) I work for a clinic and there are MANY people out there who dont have insurance and are pregnant... it just all goes to private pay and in some instances you can fill out a charity application and they will write some, if not all of your balance off.... So i dont think running away to india is gonna save you in the long run.. But it is your decision... are you from india??

5. rowleypolie

rowleypolie Mom of 2, #3 on the way

if you are a native of india you may not qualify for medicaid but there are other free clinics for people in need...contact the local health department in your area and they can set you up....but if having the baby in india is what you prefer than yes it is okay to travel up until the last part of your pregnancy as the other ladies have said