Can someone reassure me? Please....

jms895

Reaction score
I have had Caine weighed again today and he has gained a little weight but nothing compared to what I am reading about other babies on here :(
I know its not a competition and its good to gain steady but I need reassurance....

He was 7 pound 2oz born
Ten days later he was 7 pound 1oz
Week later 7 pound 5 oz
Today 7 pound 9 oz

So he has gained 7 oz in just over 3 weeks, which puts him on the 9th percentile thing on the chart (which I dont understand and HV didnt explain so would appreciate if someone could?! :shrug: )

Anway I am getting a bit worried but HV said its fine
We talked about his poohs and I explained he has about 5 or 6 a day :shock: so she says thats prob why when other babies can go 5 days so will weigh a bit more.... also he is drinking loads of Breast milk and has plenty of wet nappies so he is obv getting enough. When he has expressed milk he will gulp a good 3 oz and then want more 2 hours later.

Do you all think this is ok? I am just getting a bit worried :(

Really dont want to put him on formula yet....

Thanks
Jade xx

How much did he loose initially as that's maybe a fairer indicator of how much he's gained, i read somewhere that a pound a month is considered healthy-from the minimum weight after birth NOT birth weight. As everyone keeps saying as long as there's plenty of wet and dirty nappies (at this stage i'd expect them several times a day from what i've read the once every few days poo comes in about 4-6 weks), baby is feeding well and is alert and happy when awake don't panic yet!! You're doing a great job, breast feeding can make the most confident of us self doubting wrecks.

your doing a great job hun my LO is also on the 9th line and he is great. my LO gained

born 7lb12oz
10 days later 7lb 9oz
2 weeks 7lb 12 oz
3 weeks 7lb 15 oz
so roughly the same as yours. now he is 10 weeks old and weighs 11lb 2 oz.

and also he was pooing 7-8 times a day (very explosive) until last week and we went 3 days now we have 1 a day on a night time.

try not to worry he is gaining and has wet and dirty nappies which is great. :hug:

Thanks ladies for replying..... it does get you worried doesnt it, like a competition?

I will just carry on feeding him when he wants as I have been doing....

And with the pooh thing, yes am waiting till it slows down a bit and we stop getting pooh everywhere :rofl:

Jade xx

its not a race hun its a journey. layla is over 2 months now and is a slow weight gainer. born 7lb 8oz dropped to 6lb14oz and is only now 8lb 6oz. as long as they are alert, happy then dont worry. people are too quick to step in if a baby is a little bit slow at gaining. every baby is unique. you're doing great :) x x x

I agree with the girls - you're doing GREAT! :hugs:

Alyssa has been a slow weight gainer too. Born 8lbs 4.5oz, dropped down to 7lbs 12oz and now at just over 9 weeks old she weighs 9lbs 13oz. She's not a big pooer, either - she's a once or twice a week girl! :rofl:

She's on the 9th centile now too - and we were told again today how she is thriving. So don't worry - all babies are different, and yours is doing fantastic!!!

x

Thanks so much for all the reassurance ladies and babies :D

I know what you mean about reassurance - had a nasty HV make me worry last week when we brought Alyssa to be weighed. I love BnB for the support, help and advice.

yeh i had the same with the doc today anna! we know our babies, who do they think they are. bfing is hard enough without people trying to worry us even more!! grrr!!

Exactly!!! They need to be encouraging, not worrying us!

So glad Layla is doing so well - kiss her for me! x

i will.. and kiss alyssa from me. when you have alyssas jabs on thurs be sure to feed her whilst they do it. was a lifesaver. i coulda punched that doc though. i kept wishing layla would pee on him lol!! :) xxx

You definately should compare with other babies honey. Genetics is a bit part of it and my baby's genes are totally different to yours, and theirs to the next baby's!

Have you also checked her on the WHO charts at the top of this board??

Youre doing great honey!!!! She's coming on lovely!!! xx

9th percetile babies are the best!! Finn dropped below that, and is nowa bit above. Sucked me dry getting there, so he did. (It means out of 100 babies that age, all but 9 would be heavier that yours- but not mine :D)

Thanks again ladies!

Bean didnt know Finn was on the 9th percentile? How much is he weighing now? Bless him xx

9pounds 9 :D He's just moved up to 0-3 clothes (or big boy clothes as i like to call em :D) I'm sure he'll catch up sooner or later, small babies are easy to carry, cute looking...fit into small place nicely.. many advantages!

Bean I agree :D
Aww bless him in big boy clothes :dance: xx

i felt the same, it wasn't until these last 2 weeks that lucas has started piling on the weight - i thought i was ding something wrong and have to admit was just about ready to give up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->