Can you help me settle an argument?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Princess Lou, Nov 14, 2011.

?

Is a roast potato the same as a homemade chip done in the oven?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Princess Lou

Princess Lou Finally a Mummy!

Is a roast potato the same as a homemade chip done in the oven? I am trying to settle an argument with my Nanna (impossible I know but I refuse to give in).

I think I need to be more specific, lol.

My Nan was round earlier and I made roasties, now I know she doesn't like fancy food so I made them very simple, par boiled, placed on a baking tray and put in the oven. She said she didn't like them so I made chips how I always make them, cut them chip shape, par boiled them and placed them on a baking tray. To me, this is exactly the same, just different shape but, apparently she liked the chips.

2. tina3747

tina3747 Mummy of 2 gorgeous boys!

No? Homemade chips are done in a deep fat fryer?

3. KayBea

KayBea Mummy to Xanthia Lily

To me yes there the same if cooked in the oven, just cut smaller & sometimes salt/pepper or herbs etc added.. X

4. tina3747

tina3747 Mummy of 2 gorgeous boys!

If they're just done in the oven they're just chip shaped roast potatoes..!! My mum still owns a deep fat fryer, really they shoul be illegal now I'm sure they're the cause of most house fires! The chips are probably the most amazing things you'll ever taste though.... With squidgy bread and loadsa butter...yuuuum!!
    Might go see my mum tomorrow, round about lunchtime!!

5. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

No because I cook roast potatos in a tin of oil and baste them. If I do homemade chips I would toss them in a bit of oil and cover them with herbs and salt before putting them on a baking tray.

6. mum22ttc#3

mum22ttc#3 Mum of 3

^^ This.

Plus they taste totally different, chips taste like chips and roasties taste like roasties. :shrug:

7. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

Exactly :thumbup:

8. MrsBandEgglet

MrsBandEgglet Mummy to 3, expecting #4

No because I use different potatoes for each. I use white pots for chips and those lovely rooster pots for roasties. We only ever eat home made chips; I can't stand frozen chips they taste of nothing xx

9. smokey

smokey Mummy to a monkey

No not realy, even if they are cooked the same way the potato to crispy outside bit is a differant ratio and does atualy realy effect the taste.
    I can get LO to eat a homemade oven cooked chip but cant get him to eat a roast potato.
    Im exactly the same where as I like both they taste completly differant to me because the potato has alot more fluffy part where as the chip is more even on the ratio so the inside and outside compliments each other in a completly differant way.

Plus roast potatoes should be dipped in saladcream where as chips go with ketchup never the other way round in my house :)

Its the same as how pancakes and yorkshire pudings are made the same way esentialy but taste nothing alike

10. smokey

smokey Mummy to a monkey

I just asked hubby this as hes the cook in our house and does amazing roast potaoes and he just looked at me and said " you cant cook roast potatoes without oil they will taste awfull" that was about as much sense as I got out of him :)

11. tina_h75

tina_h75 mommy of 3

no, totally different. Roast potatoes are boiled first and then cooked in the oven with oil drizzled over the top and a sprinkling of salt . Chips are cooked in the actifry in my house.

Roast potatoes, chips and potato wedges - all very similar but at the same time completely different.