Can't BF for a week...

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by wiggy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

Well I got a uti 2 weeks after my c- section delivery. Got antibiotics that were safe for BF, felt great. Then antibiotics ended and uti came back with a vengeance. Dr had to give me stronger meds and highly recommended that I do not BF. Breaks my heart! We were just getting the hang of it and it had stooped hurting, LO gained a whole pound in one week. Plus I love that bonding time with him. I feel so awful though...104 fever, chills, backache, no appetite, and just overall sick feeling. So there is no choice but to take the meds. I am pumping and dumping to keep my supply up, and I pray LO won't get too attached to the bottle. We have periodically supplemented with a bottle, and he uses a pacifier, and he has had no problem with nipple confusion, but a whole week makes me sad. Anyone else experience this? Does anyone have any tips to make sure I will still be able to BF after a week of not doing it? Thanks!!

2. austinsmom

austinsmom Well-Known Member

I would get a second opinion about the antibiotics, and contact a lactation consultant.

3. SammieGrace

SammieGrace Well-Known Member

WSS...maybe there is anther option?

4. DarlingMe

DarlingMe Well-Known Member

What antibiotics? Ask the pharmacist which ones are safe and ask your doc to prescribe those. There are so many different meds they should be able to find one that is going to work with compromising breastfeeding.

5. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

I've taken different antibiotics for uti's, one time while nursing my last dd. It could lead to problems with nursing if he goes an entire week just on a bottle, especially at such a young age

6. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

There is almost always an alternative but unfortunately many doctors cannot be bothered to do a bit more work and look for one. Please ask for a second opinion xx