Can't do it anymore!!!

winterbabies3

Wife, Mother & Expecting
Reaction score
2 years EBF and i can no longer stand to do it anymore. I am also 13 weeks pregnant and the thought of doing this again with the new baby has me complete against it! I can't even stand the sight, sound or having her want me anymore ='( why all of a sudden!? My husband doesnt get it and just thinks I'm throwing a tantrum with her. I've tried cutting back feedings and it seems to be going well and then all of a sudden she wants it even more! Nights are still hell and she is still up 3-10 times a night! I cant just put her in a room and let her cry, it just sounds awful and she Isn't use to anything like that. We both just threw a fit over nap time and now i just feel awful and guilty! Its not her fault, but i cant sit here and cry over it anymore. Is cold turkey really that bad to do? I just dont know what to do other than that! Thanks for the rant

It sounds like you are experiencing breastfeeding aversion which is really common in women who are breastfeeding while pregnant. I didn't personally experience it, but I know a lot of women who all of a sudden could not stand having their baby/toddler on the breast anymore. Some women power through and do their best to distract themselves from the extreme agitation/aggravation, others decide to wean their baby/toddler off the breast. Whichever route you choose, just know that you've done your best and breastfeeding your LO for however long you are able is an amazing thing to do for her. Sorry I can't offer any specific help or advice!

You’ve nursed for two years. That’s a hell of an accomplishment. If you’d like to take these next several months left of your pregnancy to have your body to yourself, then do so!

I nursed my daughter for 2.5 years and was just done. I went cold turkey with her and never once regretted it. At this age you aren’t taking away their main source of nourishment. You are just taking away a comfort which can easily be replaced!

It sounds like you are experiencing breastfeeding aversion which is really common in women who are breastfeeding while pregnant. I didn't personally experience it, but I know a lot of women who all of a sudden could not stand having their baby/toddler on the breast anymore. Some women power through and do their best to distract themselves from the extreme agitation/aggravation, others decide to wean their baby/toddler off the breast. Whichever route you choose, just know that you've done your best and breastfeeding your LO for however long you are able is an amazing thing to do for her. Sorry I can't offer any specific help or advice!

This is exactly how i feel!! I have tried to power through for the last couple weeks and my fustration is at a all time high with it! Thank you so much for this info! I dont feel so crazy anymore:blush:

You’ve nursed for two years. That’s a hell of an accomplishment. If you’d like to take these next several months left of your pregnancy to have your body to yourself, then do so!

I nursed my daughter for 2.5 years and was just done. I went cold turkey with her and never once regretted it. At this age you aren’t taking away their main source of nourishment. You are just taking away a comfort which can easily be replaced!

Thank you!! You did amazing as well! How long did the crying last with cutting cold turkey? I feel so guilty but i have to do it! I havent had 5 mins to myself since my son was 2 and now he is 4 and my daughter is 2

She only fought back for a handful of days. I cuddled her extra in that week and just repeated that the milk was all gone. She didn't like that answer for a few days, but I would just rock her to sleep so that she still felt some of the touch comfort she was accustomed to. Then she just stopped asking. She enjoyed the cuddles and I think it ended up being a fair trade off for her.

Nursing aversion was awful for me. Another mum who was breastfeeding and pregnant at the same time said it felt like being molested by an old man. It's not that you feel any different about it emotionally or mentally but you can't help the way your body reacts. I think I rather alarmed poor OH by tearfully describing it as wanting to jump up and throw the baby across the room. Obviously there was no danger of me actually doing that but it's what my body was feeling a super strong aversion.

I was determined powered through because she was only one when I got pregnant again. I managed to bear it by making the feeds much shorter and further apart. I night weaned and OH took over getting up with her in the night for a while and gave her water in a sippy cup. I would distract myself by browsing on the phone or watching TV while I fed. Carrying on was still really hard. I don't regret it but honestly I'm not sure I would do it again if I was to go back in time. The worst thing was that it made me irritable with her when I was feeding her and I would try really hard to keep it together but I think she could still sense it. And sometimes I would let it show and feel awful after. I thought I would be tandem nursing but she only had a few feeds after her brother was born. She was delighted when my milk came in and said it was good but totally surprised me the next time I offered to feed her when she refused and said milk was for the baby.

I don't think any two women have the same experience BFing while pregnant. There is no guide book. You just have to take it day by day and make the best decisions you can. Sometimes that means weaning. I think the aversion is often a signal your milk is drying up. Most women who do continue are pretty much dry nursing from about 16 weeks.

Nursing aversion was awful for me. Another mum who was breastfeeding and pregnant at the same time said it felt like being molested by an old man. It's not that you feel any different about it emotionally or mentally but you can't help the way your body reacts. I think I rather alarmed poor OH by tearfully describing it as wanting to jump up and throw the baby across the room. Obviously there was no danger of me actually doing that but it's what my body was feeling a super strong aversion.

I was determined powered through because she was only one when I got pregnant again. I managed to bear it by making the feeds much shorter and further apart. I night weaned and OH took over getting up with her in the night for a while and gave her water in a sippy cup. I would distract myself by browsing on the phone or watching TV while I fed. Carrying on was still really hard. I don't regret it but honestly I'm not sure I would do it again if I was to go back in time. The worst thing was that it made me irritable with her when I was feeding her and I would try really hard to keep it together but I think she could still sense it. And sometimes I would let it show and feel awful after. I thought I would be tandem nursing but she only had a few feeds after her brother was born. She was delighted when my milk came in and said it was good but totally surprised me the next time I offered to feed her when she refused and said milk was for the baby.

I don't think any two women have the same experience BFing while pregnant. There is no guide book. You just have to take it day by day and make the best decisions you can. Sometimes that means weaning. I think the aversion is often a signal your milk is drying up. Most women who do continue are pretty much dry nursing from about 16 weeks.

Thank you Bunny! I never even heard of this til now. Its beginning to really take a toll on me and i just feel awful cause it is all of a sudden and she doesnt know how to act about it:nope: i hope we can start weaning and find another way to connect. Its funny that you mentioned drying up! I have noticed her not getting much at all and noticing her tounge wasnt white anymore from the milk! Learn something new everyday!!

My milk dried up around 16 weeks into my pregnancy, which is when my daughter stopped nursing. I could tell she was getting frustrated, she would smack at my chest and cry when she would try to nurse. So one day I just offered her a cup of milk when she was trying to nurse and she drank that down and never asked for the boob again. She was only 13 months old so she was young but she managed just fine.

You would probably find this sticky thread useful. There are quite a few pages you can browse through or you can post a new question on the thread and usually a few mums who have experience of BFing and pregnancy answer
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...eding-tandem-nursing-information-support.html

My milk dried up around 16 weeks into my pregnancy, which is when my daughter stopped nursing. I could tell she was getting frustrated, she would smack at my chest and cry when she would try to nurse. So one day I just offered her a cup of milk when she was trying to nurse and she drank that down and never asked for the boob again. She was only 13 months old so she was young but she managed just fine.

I've been waiting for the day she will stop on her own, but its not looking good:haha:

I think each kid responds differently. DD was happy to dry nurse. DS suddenly refused the boob one day before I even realised I was pregnant and that was that. I'm guessing he detected a change in the taste of the milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->