Can't find heartbeat with Doppler! :-(

Crazycolours

Reaction score
I'm 9+5 & have had 3 scans this pregnancy at 6,7&8 weeks. Good heartbeats detected each time. I have purchased a Doppler which can be used from 8 weeks gestation & have spent half hour searching for the heartbeat with no joy! I'm panicking now & wishing if of not bothered cause I can't help but think the worst :-(

Anyone had similar experience and all turn out ok?

Yeah it's quite heard early on, especially if you have a tilted uterus. I couldn't find mine yesterday morning, despite being very well aquatinted with a fetal doppler and 11 weeks along! I tried again with a full bladder and found it on the other side to usual!

It's really hard early on to hear. You have to make sure you use it really low down and use lots of gel. Have you watched any you tube videos?
I've found the heart beat a few times now and I'm 9 weeks and this is my second pregnancy and each time it can take up to an hour. I find that sometimes my baby is hiding behind something. Also your uterus hasn't grown above your pubic bone yet which can make it difficult to hear. I honestly wouldn't worry maybe put it away for a few weeks and try again then? Xx

with DD i couldnt find HB on doppler until 11 weeks..ultrasound detected it but doppler wouldnt until i was dot on 11 weeks!!

so still early.....they do cause panic though

Thanks everyone, now you mention it I dan-O I have a tilted uterus :laugh:

I'll try not to worry, easier said than done & keep trying :) xx

Very early to hear anything. My midwife found no heart beat on her Doppler at 10 weeks, I just had my 12 week scan and there was a heart beating at 155 BPM :)

It is hard to find early on for sure. But also, I went in for an ultrasound last week and the tech struggled to find the heartbeat even though she could actually SEE where it was. Because my baby is freakishly active, it moves a ton and makes it hard to track the beat. Could be the same for you!

I haven't tried mine yet but I figure I should wait until the MW finds it first! What kind of gel do you all use?

Hi! I used a Doppler all the time with my first, and have already found the hb 3x with this pregnancy (I'm 8w5d).

A little advice...

Don't lay flat, rather recline with your upper body propped up a bit. Be in a relaxed quiet place and don't have anything particular on your mind. Use lots of gel (I use aloe Vera). Locate your pelvic bone and place the Doppler just above it. Push it into your stomach and point it downward (like you are pointing it straight down into your pelvic floor). Don't "move" the Doppler around, rather keep it in place but just slightly change which direction you are pointing it. You will hear lots of sounds, mainly your own hb, but when you finally hear your baby, it's unmistakable and very fast, like a train. Don't spend longer than 20 minutes trying... Take a break, come back and try again later. You'll find it. And when you finally do, it'll be easier each time!

Try not to worry it's still quite early. I've been able to find the heartbeat for 2 weeks now and usually it takes me 5 mins max before I find it. Tonight it took me an hour and I was panicking. Baby was in the same spot as usual but was hiding behind the placenta :( your tilted uterus probably does't help.

I lay flat to find mine can't find it if I'm laid at an angle x

My midwife told me I was pregnant with my first that only about 50% of heartbeats can be found with a doppler at 10 weeks. Don't stress yourself out. In fact, don't buy a home doppler - that's just a really good way to give yourself more stress!

Im so tempted to buy another one but posts like this make me glad i havent, i used one in my last preg but i was 10weeks before i bought it x

Id say its too early. Your baby could be facing the wrong way or anything. Plus it will be able to move out the way. I used mine from 13 weeks and it took a little time to find her. Id not worry to much xx

Calm down. Majority of people can't find baby's heartbeat until 12 weeks. Depends on how baby is laying, baby is extremely down low etc etc. Yes this go around I found baby's heartbeat at 9w 1d but when I first used it on my daughter (got it at 12 1/2 weeks) I couldn't find baby's heartbeat until 13 weeks. I suggest in your case not to use the Doppler since it is going to cause worry. It isn't for everyone. If it's going to send you into panics like this stop. Go to your mw/doctor to reassure yourself this time and then don't use it.

If you do want to try again baby is low low low. For me this baby was still a little into my hairline down there in the middle ish. Give it another week or two and I'm sure you'll find it if you choose to keep trying.

I'm 9 weeks and have a scan on Saturday at 9+2. I'm going to look on Saturday after the scan cause I know if I can't find it I'm just too early (I too have a tilted uterus). If I don't find it I'll wait til my 12 week scan on the 26th then try again with the same logic. That way I KNOW baby is ok and it won't stress me

:flow:

Just to update everyone... Found heartbeat on Friday :) only for about 10 seconds & lost it. Had bleeding again yesterday though, must just be something going to have to put up with this pregnancy xx

Yay congrats hun!!!
I'm bleeding on and off too, some pregnancies are just harder work than others I think! :dohh: Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->