Can't get enough blood GD in tears!

bostondogs

Reaction score
I am so frustrated. Yesterday I met w/a nutritionist about having GD. She wants me to check my blood sugar 4x a day. Yesterday's readings were 111, 110, and 93 2 hrs after eating. No fasting as I didn't have the meter then.

I've tried two times today to test but both times my meter got all the way down to one before giving me an error because there isn't enough blood. I only have 10 test strips left until my prescription is filled so I can't keep wasting them.

I couldn't get either morning reading. Yesterday I only got them bec my husband was home and helped me. I'm in bed in tears now over this. My fingers are sore. I've had it on a 3 and on a 4 .. i have small uncalloused hands so it HURTS to have it on 4 for sure.......and still not enough!

I tried washing my hands in warm water and swinging my arm next to my side for this testing. Yes I got more blood but the stupid meter STILL isn't satisfied-the blood went just shy to the end of the tip.

i can't do this for 79 more days (due date)...help :(

Are you puncturing on the side of your finger? When I first started I was doing the pads and that hurts a lot! Also, press the device a little into your finger, I have found this allows for a lower number. Last, I found my thumb and middle finger to be the least painful and my pinky to be the most painful.

Yes, I'm doing the sides. I haven't tried my thumb, but now I know to avoid the pinky lol. I keep pricking my non dominant hand because I can't seem to hold the thing and prick w/my other hand, so that doesn't help. We accidentally got the pad last night and it bruised and hurt!

I might try the walmart brand of monitor. It's supposed to require .3 of blood vs this .5 the one I have does. I mean it's like a hair line away from being to the end of the strip and giving an error -- sooo frustrated :(

My monitor is from Walmart and I have found that it does require just a little bit of blood. I've tried it for accuracy against other monitors and it seems to be just fine.

I stuck the tops of my thighs instead of fingers. It didn't hurt at all, and I got more blood. Idk if this is frowned upon or not, but I hated sticking my fingers. They would be sore for days.

I stuck the tops of my thighs instead of fingers. It didn't hurt at all, and I got more blood. Idk if this is frowned upon or not, but I hated sticking my fingers. They would be sore for days.

I actually asked about this in my first pregnancy and my doctor at the time actually said it made no difference where the blood came from.

Thanks for the help guys. My friend is actually diabetic and has the same meter. She came over and we each tested our sugar together. That night, I couldn't get enough again and my husband did it for me. This morning I massaged my finger and tried again by myself. First try the prick wasn't enough, so I tried again. At least I knew it wasn't enough and didn't waste a test strip this time. Was able to get it - 77 fasting. My numbers have all been below 120 2 hrs after eating (mid-90s). I'm hoping this means when I go see the nutritionist Friday morning I Can at least cut back on the testing. 4x a day is hard.

See about getting a different meter. My insurance covered a good onetouch meter that hardly required any blood.

When testing fasting numbers, drink water first. I had a hard time with morning blood. You dehydrate overnight. Drink water first thing, wash your hands in warm water, then swing you arms low, and also squeeze and release your fist.

You will get an eye for how much blood you need. No issue with waiting a few more seconds and seeing if you can squeeze a little more, AFAIK.

I also had to use a different lancet number in the AM, because it was so hard to get AM blood. I don't remember, but a 3 or 4 was really low on mine (it went up to 8).

The Walmart one I bought was wildly inaccurate compared to my OneTouch, which my doctor endorsed and my insurance paid for (I picked it up once when I was low in insurance provided sticks). Sometimes it was dead accurate, sometimes it swung really high or really low.

So frustrating to have to waste a strip because of not enough blood.

I found a meter contour one next that gives you a second chance to collect blood! So you literally can’t waste a strip.

Keep washing your hands in warm water, and then keep your hand as low as possible while you are pricking. Before I prick I push blood down from my elbow, thru my hand, and into my finger. Then prick and squeeze from the bottom of the finger to the end. I’ve been doing it for 13 weeks now and my sides of middle and index are calluses a lot so I’m using ring fingers now. It does hurt. Can’t wait till I’m done with it as I’m sure we all feel.

But maybe try a different meter with the feature “second chance sampling” so you don’t waste anymore strips. I pay for my strips because we don’t have insurance for them and they’re 70 cents a piece, so it’s freat these ones can’t be wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->