Can't get relief unless I use an enema. Getting worried

SummerJune

Reaction score
I've always suffered from constipation, since I was a kid. But Ive never had it this bad. Started the same time as MS around 6 weeks. Just doesn't budge. Sorry for tmi. But I'm feeling desperate. I eat so much fruit and take mirilax, ate prunes. Etc. :shrug:

Any advice is greatly appreciated !!! Any one suffer this, does it improve over time or will my entire pregnancy be this awful??

If it's that severe, I would talk to your doctor.

I've been using metamucil. TMI but seems to coat the poo and makes it slippery.

TMI I'm writing this whilst sitting on the toilet.. Same story, always suffered with severe constipation and now I'm pregnant it's even worse. It's making me miserable. I haven't been in two weeks despite taking fibre supplements and changing my diet... I think I'm going to have to make a doctors appointment :(

It's absolutely awful ! It's like your whole system just shuts down. I've been eating very little also because I'm wondering where this is all being stored !!

Enemas can be very dangerous in the first trimester, don't use one unless your doctor advises to. They can cause miscarriage.

I have horrible constipation during pregnancy too. Gets so bad when I finally do go it is sometimes bloody (sorry for the TMI). The traditional things my midwife told me don't work... prunes, stool softeners, sitting straight upright on the toilet during a bowel movement, upping my fiber. I'm about at my wit's end so I know exactly how you feel. :cry:

Same here!! I only go when I finally give in a do an enema!!! I had three full term pregnancies before this one and with all of them I have relied on enemas!

I did try to do some research on enemas and there's a lot of mixed reviews out there. I did call my doctor and he said I can use it. I worry that not going for weeks at a a time is also dangerous.

I'm so glad you posted this. I thought about it but chickened out. :) I've been struggling, too! Like you since about 5 or 6 weeks. I went 11 days with NOTHING. I told my hubby I was getting worried and wondered where it was all going! :) He went to the store and bought me all kinds of food that Google suggested. I ate Raisin Bran and Shredded Wheat and ate prune after prune until I finally went. That was several days ago now so thinking I might try it again!

My friend had awful constipation during pregnancy and the only thing that helped was acupuncture.

So sorry you are going through this! I agree it may be doctor time, it sounds like you've tried what you can. The only other thing would be drinking more water, slippery elm tea, yoga and/or other light exercise. You say you eat prunes but what about prune juice? Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->