Car seat argument with OH

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by June2012, Jun 5, 2011.

1. June2012

June2012 Well-Known Member

I can't believe we are arguing over pushchairs and car seats.

I was unable to make it to the NCT nearly new sale and told my OH to get some baby items.

From the very beginning my OH didn't like quinny buzz and insisted that we shouldn't get it!. At the end of the day , I am the one who will be using it the most and not him.

He bought a mama and papas pram for a good price. Sigh I really wanted to get a quinny mainly because it is compatible with maxi cosi and the spare parts are easy to get. The Mama and Papas prams are in selected stores and the additional accessories are a bit expensive.

Today we realized that the maxi cosi is not compatible with the mama and papas pram and that we have to get a compatible mama+papas car seat. We went to babies r us, mothercare and halfords. None of the major retailers sell compatible car seats for mama and papas pram. Grrrrr!!!!

I read the reviews online and majority of the buyers state that the car seat is too heavy. Later we went to the Mama+Papas store and I was convinced that it is heavier than the maxi cosi. OH stated "Oh you don't have to carry it and it will be my responsibility to carry it etc etc"

I am so tired of my OH!!! Sorry for long rant!!! :(

2. amipregnant

amipregnant Well-Known Member

You poor thing! I know exactly what you mean, today we have argued about everything we can possibly think of and are no further forward. Do you need a car seat that attaches to your travel system, its something we figured we could live without but it depends on what you will be using it for. could you try and get the fixings on ebay to save money?? good luck u hope you sort it out.

3. June2012

June2012 Well-Known Member

Hi amipregnant
    My OH stated that it is best to have a car seat that is compatible to attach to the pram. This is mainly because he doesn't want to wake the baby each time we want to transfer it from the car seat to the pram. I am not too fussed but OH is picky on these things :(

4. Tryin4Number3

Tryin4Number3 Mum of 3 and pg AGAIN!

Which m&p pram did he get? We had an ultima for DD when she was first born last year and we got the primo viaggio carseat to go with it. Well we used the carseat for about 4 weeks then gave up and bought a maxi cosi one instead. I hated the m&p one, it was too heavy and DD never looked comfortable In it. Maybe u could get him to agree to sell this one and compromise on something u both like? My oh is happy to let me choose most things but the pram was the only thing he really wanted a say on. Think its because Its the bit that's most technical lol!

5. Kasia

Kasia Well-Known Member

It's really fantastic that he is so involved though:)

6. Tegans Mama

Tegans Mama home edding mum of 2

You would be better off with an actual pram or carrycot over using a carseat on a pram base - staying in an infant carseat over 2 hours is bad for babies spine development.

I started with an M&P carseat - hated it, too heavy, too small, no head support. Moved onto a maxi cosi which was fabulous. Save yourselves the money and get the maxi cosi, use it only in the car, and use the M&P pram as a pram.

7. Bluebell1

Bluebell1 Mummy to 1 baby girl

Sometimes Argos sell mamas & papas carseat cheaper, if you still want to for that. I purchased the maxi cosi cabrio which is super light as it was the only carseat that fits our cars & i think I'm going to have to rethink my pram too as the carseat isn't compatible with the silver cross I wanted.

8. tweedy

tweedy Well-Known Member

my carseat does not fit on my pram and it was totally intentional, i didn;t want oh to be lazy and just pop the baby in the the carseat directly to the pram. it is so bad for them and if you are going anywhere for any lenght of time, they should only be in the car seat for safety, it's not comfortable. when moving a sleeping baby, they will only stir and then will most likely stay asleep or at least rest better when placed in a completly flat pram. my daughter hardly ever woke and it's good practice to move them as you can reassess the amount of clothing, blankets when going from outside to inside etc.

it's so easy to forget that a 30 mins drive to shopping centre, 5 mins to park, 5 mins to get pram out and 1 hour shopping, 40 mins having coffee and then back to car and home, would mean baby in a car seat for nearly 3 hours, with probably the same clothing etc on. how uncomfortable would you be after 3 hours in a car seat?

9. Anna1982

Anna1982 mummy of 4

my car seats dont go on my pram either as its a double,
    I have the graco logico ones and theyre great

but if your dh is anything like mine he will do the carrying lol, mine seems to enjoy the fact he can carry two at once lol

10. Treelo

Treelo Mum of 3

Having baby in car seat for over 2 hours can also cause Oxygen Desaturation.

I had a M&P car seat and hated it, it was heavy and DS didnt look comfy in it. I would def go for the maxi cosi. On ds2 i never used car seat on pram just took him out of seat even if asleep and put him into the pram it never bothered him. I hate seeing car seats on prams.