Car seat position

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by msmissa, Jun 3, 2011.

1. msmissa

msmissa Mommy of 1 & expecting

I was discussing this with my friend who's baby just turned a month old. Where do you keep your car seat in your car?

We have a small SUV type car, and there's enough space in the back to place LO's car seat in any of the seats. When he was in his infant seat, we kept him in the middle, but now that he's in a convertible car seat (rear facing, of course, til he's 45 lbs), I have him behind the passenger seat, as it's quite difficult to get him in and out of his seat in the center (I'm rather short. Only 5'2")

So, again, where do you have LO's car seat placed in your car?

2. charlotte-xo

charlotte-xo Alfie and Darcey's mummy

you should only place baby in the passenger seat in the front if the airbag is disabled. we keep alfie in the middle of the back seats.

<3

3. msmissa

Oh no no no lol. He's in the rear BEHIND the front passenger seat. So he's in the back on the passenger side.

4. hippobaby

hippobaby Well-Known Member

My lo is also behind passenger seat, won't ever go in front and will be rear facing for as long as possible.

5. charlotte-xo

Oh sorry :dohh:

<3

6. katy1310

katy1310 Mummy of 1

Sophie's is behind the passenger seat - just in case it's at all safer for her to be on the side that's away from other cars.

7. KayBea

KayBea Mummy to Xanthia Lily

A baby should never be placed in the middle back seat no matter how old or what seat they are in!!!!
    Nor should an adult sit behind a baby.
    X

8. CharlieKeys

CharlieKeys Well-Known Member

If OH is in the car, he goes in the back, passenger side, if it's me on my own he comes in the front (airbags ARE switched off!)

9. CharlieKeys

CharlieKeys Well-Known Member

I've always been told/seen people say that hte middle seat is the safest for a baby in a car seat? :shrug:

10. msmissa

Agreed! Everyone has always been told here that the middle seat in the back is safest for baby

11. oliviarose

oliviarose Well-Known Member

Yes I got told this too with my daughter. The people at mothercare who fitted her carseat put her seat in the middle, as my car had a full seatbelt. The lady said that it keeps LO safe if there is side impact.

Harrison is in the back behind the passenger seat.

12. KatelynsMummy

KatelynsMummy Mummy to Katelyn!

My LO is in the back middle seat, the longest seatbelt so the only place her car seat can go lol :flower:

13. MrsVenn

MrsVenn Well-Known Member

Molly's behind the passenger seat as the Isofix points are only behind the front seats and not in the middle on our car.

14. Natsku

Natsku Well-Known Member

Maria is in the middle seat. It said on the car seat instructions that the middle seat is the safest.

15. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

The middle IS safest.

However, harrison rides up front with me :)

16. charlotte-xo

The middle seat is the safest position in a car. Incase of side impact from another vehicle so mothercare said anyway :thumbup:

<3

17. skydragonfly

skydragonfly Well-Known Member

I used to work at Mothercare, we were trained for car seat safety by Britax. The safest place in any car in most accidents is the middle rear seat if the has a 3 point seatbelt. I have my youngest in that position in my ford Galaxy.

18. rjm09

rjm09 kcm12

My sons been in a front facing car seat since 6 months old. He doesn't need to spend his first year in life looking at things backwards. We usually keep him in back on the passenger side just so he doesn't kick the drivers seat. We have a couple classic muscle cars that we take to car shows every week and the back seats are pretty close to the front seats. As for the SUV, I usually put him in back behind the drivers side. An accident is just that, it's gonna happen or not. We can only try to prevent them with defensive driving. I have side curtain airbags that extend to the back,so i'm not worried about where the car seat is. It's just easier to get him in and out the drivers side, and i don't want to crawl half way in the vehicle to reach to get him out! Kills my back in the DD cars, glad we've got the SUV!

19. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

Seriously?!
    Irrisponsible.
    I cant even write what i wanna say, im gobsmacked.

20. KatelynsMummy

KatelynsMummy Mummy to Katelyn!

In the nicest way possible, i hope you realised how much danger you put your LO in...