Car Seat Question regarding weight?!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by dizzyspells, Dec 11, 2009.

1. dizzyspells

dizzyspells Mia & Finnlays Mummy.xxx

LO is 5.5mths and weighs 20lbs at last weigh in (1 week ago).He is becoming quite squished in his Maxi Cosi now but looking at the next stage up they are 9mths/ 20lb is this 9mths and 20lbs or when they get to 20lbs??:shrug:

Feel he is so young to be in a big carseat but cant see his Maxi Cosi lasting him much longer as his head is about an inch from the top and he has started crying now when he is in it longer than 10mins!

Mia was fine in hers until she reached the limit so its all new to me!

Any help and advice would be fab!x

2. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

no idea sorry but maybe you could go into halfords/mothercare and ask

3. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Try looking for one that does rear and forward facing instead of just forward facing. It's much safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible so I'd get the highest rear facing weight limit you can find

4. candeur

candeur Well-Known Member

You can get the Combination car seats which are from birth and go forward/rear facing.
    We have the Britax First Plus which is really good, and Seren is still rear facing in it at 1Yr.

5. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

its ment as a rough guide either or

the thing i remember when my 2 were little was that the recommendation was that lo had to be able to sit up and hold there head up unaided

6. dizzyspells

Fab thank you,would prefer to keep him rear facing as he is so young so will have a look now at the Britax!!Always had Maxi Cosi so will have a google at the others.x

7. dizzyspells

He can hold his head fine but cannot sit unaided yet so I think one that is also rear facing could be the way to go.x

8. mommyof3co

Yeah I don't think they are meant to be a rough guide...atleast not here in the US they aren't for sure. If it says 20lbs and 9mo (well here they would say atleast 20lbs and 1yr) it is both, they have to be both.

Good luck finding one you like though!

9. suzib76

i just double checked that info in case it was out of date since jack was little but

"They should only be put in a forward-facing seat when they have exceeded the maximum weight for the baby seat and can sit up unaided or the top of their head is higher than the top of the baby seat."

got that little snippet from here

https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carrying_safely/others/restraint.htm

10. dizzyspells

It is so confusing as there is no way he will last in his infant carrier until 9mths he is not 6mths until xmas day so thats another 3mths and he is a big boy!!Been looking and looks like the ones that they can stay in other than the britax are all from abroad!!

I am sure not all babies make it 9mths i there small carseats you would think there would be more options!:shrug: Obv UK I am talking about here.x

11. xxxjacxxx

xxxjacxxx My Eggo is Preggo!

Han, Leo is 7.5 months and Ive just put him into a maxi cosi tobi. He is 23lbs now and his head was over the top of the maxi cosi and the straps were digging into his shoulders...he had to come out...

Here in the UK this backward facing carseat stuff isn't as widely advertised and its really hard to find a seat that does this/both.

12. suzib76

well its diff here coz our recommendations state the weight and then age as 'roughly' how weird i mean babies are the same worldwide, i often wonder how the advice can differ so much from country to country lol

13. shinona

shinona Well-Known Member

So pleased to see your post, dizzyspells! I am starting to have the same problem. J is a big boy too (a couple of weeks younger than your boy and only about a pound or so lighter! I want to keep him rear facing as long as possible too. I saw the Britax ones on Mothercare but they are both out of stock atm. We're a maxi cosi family too and I'm going to miss being able to lift the car seat out and stick it on the chassis.

14. mommyof3co

I had a look for you...here is a Britax that does forward and rear in the UK

https://www.mothercare.com/Britax-F...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44451031&mcb=core

And the page of other options :)
    https://www.mothercare.com/b/444510...764041&pf_rd_p=468460953&pf_rd_s=global-top-7

Hope that helps :)

as for them needing to be placed in a forward facing car seat that is not true, it's very true you should not exceed the weight limits of the infant seat but the next step should be the combination seat (convertible seats in the US) to keep them rear facing. Here is some info for anyone interested on why to keep them rear facing, alot of it is from US sources but it's based on facts and research about babies development and no matter where they live that's the same :) Obviously recommendations and things available are different but work with what you have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

https://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

15. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

16. dizzyspells

Thanks Jac,I had a Tobi(I think,or could of been Priory) for Mia and loved it!!.He is an Inch from the top and is hating it,if he has a coat on he looks so uncomfy!!I will stick it out untill I HAVE to move him.Just looked at a Maxi Cosi from abroad that does both and its nearly £400!!!eeek!

It is funny how the guidelines differ from country to country:shrug:

17. dizzyspells

Thanks for the info hun!!!very imformative you never hear this in the UK.

Thanks hun for the link.x

18. mommyof3co

I never got why the guidelines are different in different countries. For instance in Sweden it's completely normal to have them rear face until age 4-5, they have rear facing seats that go to 55lbs and have a really tall shell and offer tons of leg room. There is so much research from them showing how much safer it is. The US is starting to catch up they just released a seat that goes to 45lbs rear facing here, but less than a year ago you couldn't get one above 35lbs rear facing. If they KNOW it's safer why not offer the options for seats to everyone in all countries, not just a couple

19. dom85

dom85 Mum of 2, 3rd on the way

I have the Britax for Brady and it's lovely, looks really comfy and the sides are quite high so protect his head nicely. I like that you can recline it when it's forward facing as well although it will be a while yet before he uses it forward facing

20. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

It's bizarre - the one I posted above is the biggest weight rear facing one I could find, and it's only to 29lbs which is way less than even the US