car seat question

Gemie

Mum to 3
Reaction score
Okay so I'm a complete novice here so bear with me I have what might be a very silly question lol

Years ago when my son was born you didn't need an isofix base for the car seats you just strapped them in with the seat belt.
So we've bought a maxi cosi cabriofix car seat... now is it the law to use an iso fix base now? I mean, obviously we're getting one because quite frankly I want my baby as safe as possible in the car but I was just wondering. x

Not at all! It's just you will find all the new cars manufactured after a certain date have the isofix points (2004 I think, someone will correct me) and there are going to be those whose cars wont have them.
Car seats can still be fitted in the car with seatbelts but obviously the isofix is safer IF you have it! x

you don't have to use a base it just makes things easier cause rather than having to buckle it in each time you just snap the seat into the base.

Definatly not...
i have the same car seat as you and i was a speshalist at halfords on car seats.
its just more convinient for some people but not others.
i wont be getting one as we have a C1 and when the baby isnt in the car someone else will be using that seat :)

no you dont have to use the base just makes life easier getting LO in and out of the car. they dont make bases for every car seat so i wouldn't have thought it was in the law to use one

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttc5de6.aspx

It's not the law and even if you have isofix fittings in your car you dont have to use them.

We have the m&p primmo viagio car seat and opted with the surefix base which attaches with the seat belt which stays in the car and you just click the car seat in and out of.

In terms of safeness, both options are safe. Afterall if the seatbelt attached bases weren't considered safe they wouldn't sell them. The only difference is, from what I have read is that the isofix have an anti-rotation arm which clamps down to the floor, making the car seat less likely to twist in an accident. Also if you are planning to switch the carseat base from different cars regularly then it might reduce the margin for errenous installation as it's plug and play as opposed to fiddling with the seatbelt each time.

xx

Thanks everyone... thats made it a lot clearer now :)

I think we'll get one as oh is adamant we should but it's nice to know you don't HAVE to have one to be legal and safe. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"