Car seat Travel System Question

Bingles

Proud mum of one
Reaction score
I reallt like the mothercare my choice pram however it is €450 which for me is quite a lot and it does not come with a car seat but tells you which one to get. Now the thing is I dont drive so the only time bubsy will be in the car will be when my OH is taking us out any other time it will be with me in the pram. So would I be right in saying that I can get any car seat and do I really have to get a base I dont rem ever seeing a car seat in any of my mates cars with a base.

you could get any car seat if u didnt want to use it with the travel system, cos im guessing the car seat chosen for that pram fits specifically to it, so if you bought a different car seat it might not fit on the pram properly,but u could always double check. but can definatly use it in the car! and u can get a base but u dont need to, i havnt got a base and dont plan on getting on either as you dont need them they are just an option and to be a bit safer, and they can be quite exspensive! happy pram shopping anyway! :happydance:

As OP says, any car seat is ok...just might not fit your travel system. But then if your not going to use it as often, I personally wouldn;t spend the extra money on getting the one to fit the system.
The Bases.usually by Maxi cosi are really just for ease of getting the seat in and out of the car. Just clicks in and out rather than playing with the seatbelt.....but Car seats fit with the seat belts so easily these days that again.. it might not br worth it!
My car seat will fit my travel system, but only becuase it was on special offer and I thought it was one of the best seats around. I don;t have a base though, will just use seatbelt..

Thanks Jennifer, I was thinking a base would not be needed. My head is spinning looking at all the different prams I have seen a gracco one but really like the mothercare one.

Thanks Jaybee I think if I can get the car seat in and out without a base then I will its an expense I can do without.

Thanks Jaybee I think if I can get the car seat in and out without a base then I will its an expense I can do without.

Pleasure..also it means you could think about spending a bit more on the pram seeing as it seems you'l be using that so much!

Have been into shops to try out the prams?

Pleasure..also it means you could think about spending a bit more on the pram seeing as it seems you'l be using that so much!

Have been into shops to try out the prams?

No not really not yet had a quick look at a few but not played with any yet. I am still super paranoid that something will go wrong. However I think I have to start getting my arse in gear as I dont have as long left as I keep thinking I dont count dec as a month as it goes by so fast

No not really not yet had a quick look at a few but not played with any yet. I am still super paranoid that something will go wrong. However I think I have to start getting my arse in gear as I dont have as long left as I keep thinking I dont count dec as a month as it goes by so fast[/QUOTE]

I completly understand that thought.. but it is so much fun shopping for them!!
i would strongly recommend having a good play with the prams though. I was originally going to go for either a silvercross or gracco.... but didn't get on with them and ended up with mine.
Also walk with the pram for some distance, to check you can stride properly and not hurt your back.

I will deffo bear that in mind thanks. I could spend loads of time and money in baby shops and will do in january lol what pram have you got?

I will deffo bear that in mind thanks. I could spend loads of time and money in baby shops and will do in january lol what pram have you got?

I hope I wasn;t too bossy then!! sorry bingles!

We have a Britax Vigour 3. Had an amazinf write up in Which magazine a little while ago. Plus is sooooo easy to put and down. the pram bit on top though, does not pack down hugely, so is not brillaint for public transport...but is not bad.
I found the Silvercrosses too heavy. Fabulous and oldfashioned and great if you have a nanny and huge house to keep it in!

Not bossy at all this is my first lil bubsy and appriciate any advice xx A friend of mine got a silvercross and she said never again. To look at it is lovely but as a practical pram its a waste of time she ended up getting a 2nd one in a 2nd hand shop for €50

Thanks Bingles...get caught up and excited talking about baby!!!

Part of me wishes I had not paid full price for my pram now.... wish i gone down the preloved route.....but then I think about it and say its for my first baby...and it'll last for four years ish and can be used for the next one depending!

Eternal Rose posted a thread a while back for a website for pre loved baby things that her fiance found... it looked like a really good site.

I am the same my OH wanted to ask his sister for preloved bits and I was all NOOOOO way this is my first little baby and I want all new but it is only when you go looking at the price of things certain pre loved things dont seem so bad. I will insist on getting a new pram only because it is my first but as for moses baskets etc I wont mind preloved new matteres tho

I have the moses basket that both Me and my big sis slept in!! bit of an heirloom!
We have a crib that my hubby and brother slept in!
We are buying new mattresses though.
There is some link to old mattresses and cot death..something to do with urine reacting with the old mattress... so not going to take that chance.

We have bought loads of pre loved clothes from eBAY... mainly newborn but some 3-6 months! they are amazing. cost about £40 for what would have cost maybe £300 brand new... lots of brand names! well impressed.

Aww thats lovely I wish my mum and dad had kept stuff like that. I think my dad made the crib my sister slept in as he is a carpenter

Aww thats lovely I wish my mum and dad had kept stuff like that. I think my dad made the crib my sister slept in as he is a carpenter

Can he make you your crib??

IO have been asking the base question- No its not neededjust makes things easier so u can just clip in the carseat rather than setting up the seatbelt every time. Some cars u cant even fit both base and carseat into! x

IO have been asking the base question- No its not neededjust makes things easier so u can just clip in the carseat rather than setting up the seatbelt every time. Some cars u cant even fit both base and carseat into! x

Thats a very good point actually, somecars can;t take both bases and seats. Its always recommened to try the seat in the car before you buy to be on the safe side.

Yes, I've heard that you need to check the seat fits in your car... I guess they aren't all standard then?!?

What are those metal loop things on the seat of the car for - the actual seat or the base unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->