Car seat...?

Soontobe

Reaction score
Just wondering when you all swapped from either rear facing/capsule to front facing??

:baby:

It's different here then it is there as far as recommendations...but here is 20lbs AND 1yr old before you are allowed to. Hayden is 19mo and 22lbs and still rear facing. It's much safer to have them rear facing as long as possible and they hve recently changed the recommendation (but not the law...yet) to the limits of your convertible carseat which varies between 30-35lbs and usually about 36in. They really should be kept rear facing as long as possible...even if that's not the law there, it's proven to be much safer, they are 5x more likely to get injured if forward facing between the ages of 1-2...and WAYYYY more likely if under a year.

I'm going to keep Elyse in rear facing as long as I can, beyond 1 year old until she is 22lbs... realistically I won't be able to use the seat I have now as a carrier like I do now, it'll be wayyy to awkward to haul a 22lb 1 year old in it up the front steps.. I'm a weakling :)

Yup it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible. With Kathryn she outgrew her infant carrier at 5 months (she's very long!) so we got a convertible car seat that's nice and big, so I can keep her rear facing for longer. It's sooo much safer for them to be rear facing!

I'm going to keep Elyse in rear facing as long as I can, beyond 1 year old until she is 22lbs... realistically I won't be able to use the seat I have now as a carrier like I do now, it'll be wayyy to awkward to haul a 22lb 1 year old in it up the front steps.. I'm a weakling :)

The bigger ones don't click in either, they are just strapped into the car (they don't have a base), it's not so bad carrying them in and out. As they get older they are more tolerant of being in the car seat and being put in/taken out (at least it's been that way with Kathryn, she use to cry the while time she was in the car, she hated being in the seat! Now she doesn't mind, she is a bit fussy when being strapped in though)

Yeah we moved to a convertible too, once they were sitting up and we really weren't using the infant seat as a carrier anymore we went ahead and switched..but still rear facing of course. They just have more room in a convertible and like the pp said it's not exactly easy hauling a bigger kid in a carrier lol so it just ended up staying in the car all the time anyways so figured might as well make them more comfy n a bigger seat

Thats so weird, Ive been to our government site and it says it HAS to be changed once the child reaches 7kgs, which is 15lbs..and definately not over the age of 1yr..

ugh im so confused..

I'm in the UK and our car seat that came with travel system is only to 9 months ish, and there aren't that many seats available to choose from that are still rear facing from 9 months. So we may be forward facing from 9 months.

keely.

The guidelines are probably different here. They say not to move them in a front facing one until 22 lbs which Lola probably won't accomplish for a looooooong time :lol:

Though I am also now looking to get a convertible one cause she can sit up straight confidently.

:wacko: It's really confusing isnt it - especially as we all have one law in the UK but in the US I think you can have laws from state to state :dohh: I could be wrong on the car seat issue though...:shy:

Here it's 9kg/20kg and sitting unaided for 10 mins before the go in the bigger seats which can face forward and some do both. They recommend not before 8 or 9 months depending on who you talk to. Also depending on who you ask (HV or carseat sales person) some put the emphasis on the weight and others on development.....:dohh:....

We moved last week as Hebe is 9kg and sitting up nicely - although I have kept it reclined as far back as possible so she's basically in the same position as before but with more room in the seat :D

ive just burrowed the next stage car seat from my friend who told me her baby was in in from 3 months! on the back it says 9kgs for the weight but faiths 7.25 kg and feet are hangning over the end of her 'baby' car seat im unsure of what to do...change her or dont change her everyones got something dif to say about it

I want to change ours too. I don't carry liss in hers anymore, we just carry her to and from the car in our arms. I want to go to the 0+1 range. They look super comfy. Also she is longer than average so it won't be long until a new one is needed anyway. The 0+1 range are from birth to 4 years approx and can be rear or forward facing, so I think I will go for them. They have nice pink ones too, although DH doesn't seem keen :rofl:

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/H...ages/catalog/childseat-bg-comparisontable.jpg

Found this on Halfords website. Gives you an idea of what to buy!

Hannah will be rear facing until 1 year of age. We did buy a new car seat recently though a convertible one that can be either rear or forward facing

I just switched Aiden's convertible car seat to forward facing. He was in an infant seat until 6 months and then we got a convertible car seat that could be rear or forward facing. I know that in the US you're supposed to wait until the baby's a year old and 20 lbs or more. Aiden turned 1 year two weeks ago and weighs 24 pounds, so he fits the requirements. I would have left him in the rear facing position for longer, but it's easier for me to see him when I'm driving (which I do a lot because of our various babysitters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->