Caster oil views???

i cant eat pineapple!! well not to much of it anyway makes my tounge sting lol

I just don't want the sh*£s lol!

lol, avoid caster sugar then because ur guaranteed to get them if u use it. x

There are medical views on both sides of the fence of any matter pertaining to pregnancy, not just castor oil. There are arguments to be had, that many of the things considered 'bad' in pregnancy are simply more of a 'don't just in case because there's a tiny chance' Just as many of the things considered acceptable during pregnancy, are actually pretty bad if you read the right articles (I'm thinking drug use in labour specifically here)

Castor oil might not cause baby to pass meconium.. But it might! Is it really worth the risk simply to try and enforce a birthday because of discomfort? I guess that's something for each and every mothers conscience to decide along with everything else. However, just as it's biased to say don't do it, it's just as biased to say it's fine.

Me personally, I weigh up the risks of all I do with regards to pregnancy. I research everything fully and make an informed choice. Castor oil is simply too big of an anomaly for me, there's not enough evidence to support it's use, and far too much to support leaving it well alone.. So It's not a case of 'reading one article' and telling someone what to do on the basis of that, it's offering advice based upon many nights reading up on subject and offering my take on what I have read.

Ok this is getting frustrating....

There is no evidence or proof to show that castor oil causes a baby to pass meconium or that it puts baby in distress by hyperstimulation-this is all speculation.

Because women who are advised to try this are 40wks or more(postdates) it is questionable whether the ones whos babies actually didd pass meconium did so because they were full term or past term or if in fact it was caused by the castor oil.

This is controversial and some people believe it causes it while other caregivers firmly do not think it does and continue to recommend it to their patients.

You can look at this link to see that caregivers views differ on the matter but that it is in no way certain that it is the cause of babies passing meconium. It's getting really old that here people only ever post one side of anything and preach it like its law, try doing more research than reading one article....:dohh:

https://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/coMec.html

"Makes more sense than anything else. Castor oil works by irritating the digestive system which irritates the uterus, and by delivering prostaglandins to the woman's body, presumably through the digestive tract. There is no way this would pass through to the baby's digestive tract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I have to put my 2 cents in on this. I have used castor oil lots and work with a group that will take it as matter of course, without my knowledge. I have never seen meconium with its use. I have done over 200 births with these people and have never had meconium at all. That is pretty amazing, isn't it, but true.

"

Frustrating maybe ... but even if there is a 1% chance, then the risks far far outweight the benefits IMO

Not worth the potential worst case scenario just because you want the baby to "hurry up" ... pregnancy is not a race, a few more days, and thats all it is, days, 14 tops, isnt going to kill you :dohh:

There is no certainty, you are absolutley right, but why, why risk it? :shrug:

There is no evidence or proof to show that castor oil causes a baby to pass meconium or that it puts baby in distress by hyperstimulation-this is all speculation.

Because women who are advised to try this are 40wks or more(postdates) it is questionable whether the ones whos babies actually didd pass meconium did so because they were full term or past term or if in fact it was caused by the castor oil.

This is controversial and some people believe it causes it while other caregivers firmly do not think it does and continue to recommend it to their patients.

You can look at this link to see that caregivers views differ on the matter but that it is in no way certain that it is the cause of babies passing meconium. It's getting really old that here people only ever post one side of anything and preach it like its law, try doing more research than reading one article....:dohh:

"Makes more sense than anything else. Castor oil works by irritating the digestive system which irritates the uterus, and by delivering prostaglandins to the woman's body, presumably through the digestive tract. There is no way this would pass through to the baby's digestive tract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I have to put my 2 cents in on this. I have used castor oil lots and work with a group that will take it as matter of course, without my knowledge. I have never seen meconium with its use. I have done over 200 births with these people and have never had meconium at all. That is pretty amazing, isn't it, but true.

"

dehydration cant be good for the baby or yourself though surely.. and theres a lady on here who had a bad birth after having castor oil and her doctor said it was more then likely down to the castor oil fair enough what your saying there probably is no proof but the fact it might have a lot to do with it deffo puts it as a big fat no in my book

First off a dr will always blame what a mother did, they are just assholes like that. Just like they will push for pitocin and then an epidural and claim a baby was too distressed and they saved the day by giving a csection when in all likliehood the baby was either never distresed or they caused it in the first damn place.

I had a bleeding episode at 28weeks and no one checked me at the hospital so I checked myself a few days later. My oh so intelligent OB accused me of making myself bleed because I was not a dr and should not be checking myself-too bad I did so after the fact not before. They like to play that game though and masturbation or rough sex that bumps the cervix is so different how?? :dohh:

I find it hard to believe that running to the bathroom a few times with the runs is any more dangerous or puts you more at risk than having morning sickness and being able to do nothing but puke up your insides, generally day in and day out for weeks, and not be able to keep anything down-food or water. It takes a lot to dehydrate a person and a few toilet trips which you could also get from eating a greasy cheeseburger or spicy food is not inherently dangerous. Think about it, everyone is saying its dangerous to have the runs.....and how many times in each of your lives have you survived that "dangerous disaster"?:haha:

I tried castor oil when i got 41 weeks and was overdue last time. All i can say is...never again...dont do it. It tasted vile, made me feel sick, then i was sick, then i got stomach cramps, dehydration and ended up on the loo and felt like i had a severe bug for a day. Even thinking about it makes me feel sick, and thats 12 years on!

Plus...in the end it didnt work :nope: ended up being induced....and had meconium in my waters (dont know if this was due to castor oil but could have been :shrug:) x

when i was pregnant with my son last year i took castor oil... i wouldn't recommend putting it in orange juice as it floats on top and looks rank, i would put it with chocolate ice cream thats what i did.
I went into labour that night but it makes the contractions way more painful and the labour quicker... so consider it before taking it x

"

Frustrating maybe ... but even if there is a 1% chance, then the risks far far outweight the benefits IMO

Not worth the potential worst case scenario just because you want the baby to "hurry up" ... pregnancy is not a race, a few more days, and thats all it is, days, 14 tops, isnt going to kill you :dohh:

There is no certainty, you are absolutley right, but why, why risk it? :shrug:

this totally sums it up for me...My midwife has told me not to touch it, so its not just reading an article online, and if there was even 0.5% chance that it could even slightly upset my lil man in my tum I would not even consider it xx

There are medical views on both sides of the fence of any matter pertaining to pregnancy, not just castor oil. There are arguments to be had, that many of the things considered 'bad' in pregnancy are simply more of a 'don't just in case because there's a tiny chance' Just as many of the things considered acceptable during pregnancy, are actually pretty bad if you read the right articles (I'm thinking drug use in labour specifically here)

Castor oil might not cause baby to pass meconium.. But it might! Is it really worth the risk simply to try and enforce a birthday because of discomfort? I guess that's something for each and every mothers conscience to decide along with everything else. However, just as it's biased to say don't do it, it's just as biased to say it's fine.

Me personally, I weigh up the risks of all I do with regards to pregnancy. I research everything fully and make an informed choice. Castor oil is simply too big of an anomaly for me, there's not enough evidence to support it's use, and far too much to support leaving it well alone.. So It's not a case of 'reading one article' and telling someone what to do on the basis of that, it's offering advice based upon many nights reading up on subject and offering my take on what I have read.

I appreciate what you are saying. I wasn't trying to encourage the OP to take castor oil, just trying to let her know that there is more info around then just what was posted and showing her the other side of the argument. Everyone should make their own informed decision based off how they feel. If you believe there is a risk and it's not worth it to you then by all means, dont do it.

She asked about opinions so I presented to her something no one else had, let her do with it what she will. Its not about changing someones mind, just giving them something else to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->