Castor oil today. *UPDATED WITH LINK TO BIRTH STORY*

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by mummie2be, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mummie2be

mummie2be Well-Known Member

Yes, I know it can be dangerous, and yes I know it maynot work. But Im trying anyway. Ive spent the last houror soresearching the pros and cons and how to do it safely.
    Im scheduled for a sweep next week but would rather have the baby before that.
    Keeping my fingers crossed this may work.

2. laila 44

laila 44 Well-Known Member

Go for it!!!! Let me know how it goes. It worked many times for friends I know xx

3. lovelylaura

lovelylaura 3 little girls

honestly I would advise you not too. it can cause the baby to poo inside you and if they inhale this it can be devastating. Both my girls had done this and I hadn't even took castor oil they had to be monitored more carefully and I had to stay longer in hospital.

If you think that you really cant wait a week then that's your desiosion as you obviously had a quick google and know the side effects but if any other mum to be reads this then I wouldn't want them to think its a safe thing to do.

4. felix555

felix555 Well-Known Member

My friend did this and it actually did cause the baby to pooh and she needed an emergency c section. Your choice just be aware of the dangers

5. xsadiex

xsadiex Well-Known Member

Good luck make sure you drink plenty of water before and during! There is no proof to say that it causes baby to poo but obviously baby could get distressed if you take a crazy amount and get dehydrated. So be careful.
    I did it with my son and went into labour after horrible poos and puke. Pretty gross. Won't e doing it again this time! If I were to do anything I'd go down the cohosh route I think. Maybe you should wait til your a bit overdue to make sure baby is actually ready? X

6. Anderson8

Anderson8 Well-Known Member

I would advise you not too, but it's your body and your baby.
    You've waited this long, what's another week

7. Emma867

Emma867 Guest

The baby will come when it's ready, I'd wait until you are actually overdue before risking something like this.

8. Quailpower

Quailpower Well-Known Member

I didnt know about the side effects for baby but I do know about them for mum as my Grandma was induced with it by her MW!

Prepare for the most horrible, fiery and forceful diarrhea you have ever had in your life!

Thats the main reason I have never wanted to take castor lol

9. havestar

havestar Well-Known Member

I would advise against it as well. I tried it with my second and it was awful. The stomach cramps are intense and it leads nowhere. I was also unable to drink grape soda and chocolate milkshakes for over a year. LOL

10. Julesillini8

Julesillini8 2 Girls, baby #3 cookin

Oh man, good luck girl! When are you taking it? I'm so curious! Lol. I would never do it myself. Since you seem pretty sure about it, Wishing you the best Hun, hope everything with you and baby is ok! ( you are crazy, not even at or past your due date!)

11. babyodream12

babyodream12 Well-Known Member

we did it with my first and it worked just fair warning you may not leave the toilet for a while lol mixed it with orange juice but it was bad we will not be doing it again with this one!!

12. Ivory Doll

Ivory Doll Well-Known Member

I think you should wait til your sweep at least. When I read first this I expected you to be 41+ or something and losing your sanity lol!

13. cupcakekate

cupcakekate Cooking baby #3 :)

The diarrheoa is enough to put me off ever trying this!! good luck!!

14. samface182

samface182 mummy to two boys.

It's so risky and you aren't even overdue! Baby obviously hasn't came early for a reason :nope:

Your choice though! Good luck.

15. xdxxtx

xdxxtx NTNP

Good luck! I hope that baby cooperates! The only problem is, if baby isn't in the proper position, it probably won't work. So, hopefully baby is low and cervix is ripe. And I hope ya don't get sick - the first time I ever tried that stuff, it came right back up. lol

16. sbl

sbl Mum of 2

You aren't even over due yet. I personally cannot understand why you want to do it before your due date.

17. diggory77

diggory77 Well-Known Member

Trying to force your baby out early and prepared to risk your baby pooing and becoming distressed? Really? You aren't even at your due date! Even if your baby is fine, labouring whilst you have diarrhoea and are dehydrated is awful!

Sorry I can't sugar coat this. I think you are being very selfish.

18. hubblybubbly

hubblybubbly Well-Known Member

You know it's dangerous? And you're still doing it? More fool you.

I truly hope your baby is OK.

19. Kitta

Kitta Well-Known Member

If the baby isn't ready then nothing you do will help and castor oil is one of the unsafest choices. You're 39.2 weeks according to your signature, not even post dates and willing to endanger your child :-/ I don't get it!

20. laila 44

laila 44 Well-Known Member

Whoa ladies. Chill. It's her choice she can do whatever she wishes. Just because she is 39 weeks doesn't automatically mean that castor oil will cause harm. Worse case nothing will happen and she'll just poop alot. I know many people that used it and some were even 38 weeks and it worked just fine. So lets not jump on her like that. Not cool.