Castor oil

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Mummy to be x, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Mummy to be x

Mummy to be x The 4 of us...♡

Has anyone used this before? Can it be a little dangerous?
    :flower:

2. minkymoo

minkymoo Well-Known Member

Move away from the castor oil hun.

It was used a lot in the 60's - 80's for inducing labour but only under controlled conditions. I wouldn't recommend it, I have heard some horror stories.

3. Mummy to be x

Oh I haven't got any, Just been reading up on it
    :flower:

4. mumtobeplus1

mumtobeplus1 Expecting & Mum of 1

Yes it is dangerous, it can put bubs into distress and make him poo
    inside you, which is dangerous for you both.
    Not worth the risk imo. x

5. Mummy to be x

Oh, Forget that then

x

6. minkymoo

Stay on your ball, lots of long walks to keep her head moving down, and sex if you can manage it :)sick:)

7. Mummy to be x

yep been on the ball loads today, I have read that your supposed to sway side to side on it? I have just been bouncing up and down like a clown all day!

Yes I will have Sex too!!

8. mumtobeplus1

mumtobeplus1 Expecting & Mum of 1

Do you know if its safe to have sex after a sweep?
    (i bled with the sweep if that makes any difference or not?)

9. Mummy to be x

I think it is safe to have sex till your waters break?

Someone correct me if I am wrong though

10. minkymoo

I agree MTB, I believe it is perfectly safe until waters have broken.

11. Zarababy1

Zarababy1 4 boys. TTC #5

yes its safe...the sex after a sweep that is its actually advised by some midwifes, castor oil is NOT safe :)

12. Armywife

Armywife Mummy to 2 beauties

Hi hun! My mw told me last pregnancy that castor oil can't make the baby poo inside you (although this was widely believed until recently) the danger is it will most likely make you very dehydrated which is extremely dangerous to both mother and baby. Have you tried epo?

Found this:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Castor Oil to Bring on Labor [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The theory behind this induction method is that the castor oil causes diarrhea and the diarrheal cramps cause sympathetic cramping in your uterus, another smooth muscle. This is another of the methods that "won't work if you're not already ready anyway", as the sympathetic cramping will be ineffectual if all conditions are not already optimal for labor.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There has been much debate over whether taking castor oil to induce labor will cause the baby to have its first bowel movement in the womb before birth. This pre-birth bowel movement, called meconium, can be dangerous, because if baby inhales some of it it can cause pneumonia in the lungs. Meconium is also a widely-held signal that the baby is in some sort of distress. Most professionals with any experience with castor oil inductions agree that this is untrue. They have found that there is no increased occurrence of meconium in castor oil induced labors over spontaneous labors.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The real danger lies in the mother when using castor oil for labor induction. With the severity of the diarrhea, a pregnant woman can quickly become dehydrated which poses major danger to both mother and baby. Dehydration makes one tired and less able to endure through physical activity. Plus, not only does this endanger breastfeeding (proper hydration is necessary to make adequate milk), but a dehydrated uterus is an aggravated uterus, and an aggravated uterus causes more pain for the mother. More pain makes a woman less able to handle natural child birth and puts her and the baby at increased risk for a snowball of interventions. [/FONT]

13. Lil_Apple

Lil_Apple Mummy to 3 Beautiful Boys

Castor Oil is bad news :(

14. Mummy to be x

Thank you armywife! I haven't tried epo yet but I might get some tomorrow :D xx

15. charlene7828

charlene7828 Well-Known Member

never tried it but i kno a girl who did and she went into labour tat quick baby was born in hoatipal ward bed and he was alitle blue!

this has put me off trying it, but then u will find people who swear by it...

so it one of thoses tings tat it very hard to kno..

little question for anyone, i hear it causes dehydration.... could we control this if we kept our fluid intake up after taking it???? i do wonnder if it only people who dont drink any water tat mite b dehydrated??? just a thught!!

16. starlight2801

starlight2801 Well-Known Member

Please don't reach for the castor oil, it's bad news. At best the effects are unpleasant making you vomit and giving you diarrhoea and at worst it could be more dangerous than that.

Hope to hear something is happening for you soon huni xxx

17. brunette&bubs

brunette&bubs Mommy to James

Yick...plus its totally disgusting to drink!
    Who would be so desperate to do that.

18. Mummy to be x

I don't know.

19. PaiytonsMummy

PaiytonsMummy Well-Known Member

Castor oil worked for me!! Although i didn't ingest it...i massaged it into my bump, can't remember were i read, but apparently massaging castor oil into your bump stimulates contractions without the vomiting and diarrhoea, and is safer than ingesting it.
    I massaged it into my bump four times during the day (wed) and tightenings started more or less straight away...then the pains started coming at 6.30am thursday and he was born at 8.33am...and was absolutely fine...came screaming into the world :)

20. charlene7828

charlene7828 Well-Known Member

tats a new one to me!! rather try tat than drinking it!