cat litter

ButterCup17

Reaction score
can someone explain the rules to me about not changing cat litter when pregnant. my husband is out of the state for work for 5 days. he cleaned the cat litter before he left, but what am I supposed to do with it now? I live an hour away from anyone that knows i'm pregnant. i'm considering staying at my moms house the whole time (even though I don't want to) just so I don't have to be around the cats and their litter. we have a small house right now so the litter box is in our front bathroom.

I've always been told not to even go near the kitty litter. I would ask your doctor what safety measures have to be taken if you absolutely have to clean the littler box.

I was told to wash your hands after you clean it, like you usually would. The only problem with litter is if your cat has contracted toxoplasmosis. If it's an indoor cat, then it's unlikely. Even if you cat had contracted it, you'd have to ingest it for it to become an issue. So just clean up afterwards. That's what I was told by my OB and my perinatologist when I asked since I was single when pregnant. Oh, and clean it often as apparently it only becomes infectious to humans once the cats poop has sit for over 24 hours. But ask your own doctor and follow his/her advice.

I changed the kitty litter during my last pregnancy. I didn't touch it directly with my hands, and I always washed afterwards.

I have a friend whose husband literally will not go near the boxes. Her ob told her it would be find so long as she wears a mask, as in a flu mask, and gloves. So, that's what she did and everything was fine.

I'm going to echo the above - if you have indoor cats that don't eat or catch mice, your cats probably don't have it. They get it from eating raw meat. You could take them to the vet to get them tested for it if you're worried. If you have outdoor cats, or cats that catch mice they are more likely to have it, but you can get tested to see if you already have the antibodies for toxoplasmosis. If you caught it in the past you're safe now and can't catch it again. I've also been told it takes a day before the poo becomes infectious, so as long as it's done everyday it's safer. Finally, I think it probably is a good idea to wear gloves and a mask.

So, yeah. Depending on circumstances it can be done safety. But, all the same, don't let this get out ladies! For some of us it's our only chance not to have to do the litter boxes :haha:

As long as you wear gloves & dont get any of it on you or somehow ingested you be fine, if youve had cats for years you probs have a good resistant to the Toxicplasmosis which can be contracted, we hsve 2 cats but we no longer have a kitty litter tray, speak with Dr ir midwife but im sure you'll be ok ;)

I wear gloves and also wash my hands thoroughly afterwards. My two are house cats so the risks are very low but I'm still careful.

So long as you take precautions when changing it you'll be fine

So, yeah. Depending on circumstances it can be done safety. But, all the same, don't let this get out ladies! For some of us it's our only chance not to have to do the litter boxes :haha:

Exactly this! Lol

Just had this conversation yesterday with my midwife as I am in the same situation - I use rubber gloves, then wash my hands afterwards. If your cat isn't going out and eating anything it finds on the street, you/the cat should be fine anyway. This is usually a problem in street cats or cats that have lived in groups with other cats that may have had it.

Also the poo has to be there for over 24 hrs I believe for it to become 'toxic' (this is what my vet told me the other day).

DH empties the tray in the mornings & at night but if they go during the day I have to empty it because the smell makes me puke. Same with my last pregnancy & everything was fine, I just make sure I wash my hands after

You'll just need to take the right precautions. Face mask, gloves, and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

I read a LOT on this.
What comes to toxoplasmosis, it only spreads to humans if
a) your cat got it for the first time in it's life AND
b) litter has sat over 24 hours AND
c) you get the litter in your mouth/nose

This is near IMPOSSIBLE, as outdoor cats already have had toxoplasmosis and don't spread it after the first time, indoor cats rarely get it, plus you would never pick your nose after cleaning with your bare hands, without a wash!

This would mean, the highest risk situation is a young outdoor cat that craps all over your pillow.

Other bacteria can be found though, so wash your hands. Keep cats off bedclothes, if want to be extra sure.

One thing you SHOULD be careful about is raw feeding. Raw meat, especially if you buy animal quality, has lots of bacteria and micro-bugs. Use gloves or get OH to dice and pack the meat!

Personally I get sick of both kitty litter and raw meat... OH asked for help, I nearly barfed on him, and he then happily continued alone :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->