• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

cat poo?

Emma01

2 little boys
Reaction score
Hi is it true that cat poo can make me or/and my baby blind before and after he comes out and what other animals should i be weary of? I got told this but wasnt 100% sure please help!!!! Thanks.:baby:

Yeah its the toxomplasim (sp) in cat poo and raw meat x

Cat poo can have bacteria in it that can be harmful to pregnant woman and their unborn babies - so if you can get someone else to do the litter tray for you, ask them, or wear rubber gloves and wash your hands thoroughly xxx

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1107.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=137

Oh yes...toxoplamosis...the best bet is to stay away from the cat litter and get someone else to do it. It's a great excuse to be off the hook for changing the litter!

A family member of mine was diagnosed with this as her vision is skewed and her mum had a kitten while pregnant and was the only one to do the litter tray.
Not all cats have toxoplasmosis - a wormed house cat probably hasnt, but a hunter out door cat has a high chance of it - I would avoid litter tray if you can altogether as it is a real risk.
I go tmy husband to take over that job and I am going to let him keep that job forever!! xx

I have 2 cats that stay indoors and I'm still doing the litter tray (with gloves of course!) My OH is really squeamish with that sort of thing and would end up throwing up if he had to do it :rofl: I have enough on my plate without dealing with his sickness too!

*ETA - But yeah, toxisplasmosis is a danger so it is best for you to stay away from the kitty tray :)*

Thanks i was sure there was something in it. Il teach the cat to poo outside from now on but i shouldnt be doin it anyway cause its not even my cat but if no one else will do i guess im goin to. Thanks everyone xxx

If you wear gloves and wash your hands thoroughly afterward you are just fine. You can also get this from digging in the garden or eating raw meat. Also if you've been around cats all your life there is a good chance you are already immune. It's best to be careful and take the above precautions. But I wouldn't panic about it.

Thanks vikki its better to be safe than sorry i guess. I didnt know about it been in raw meat or fruit an veg that was a suprise il have to wash my grapes now lol xx

I have two cats. As long as you're sensible and wear some gloves and wash your hands well after scooping you'll be fine. Try and get a low dust litter. If you just take the cats litter tray away you'll be in for problems because it won't understand.

When I found out I was pregnant (and because I'm totally bored of scooping haha) we got an automatic litter tray. It scoops every time they go in and then you just need to throw away the little collection tray every week and replace it. Plus .. it keeps the cats entertained for hours ;)

My cat is an indoor cat and has been all his life so chances are he is fine, but any excuse to get hubby to clean the litter tray.... :winkwink:

Hey there, There is a whole list of animals which you should be careful of for one reason or another, most of which it is highly unlikely you would have contact with. For example sheep have chlamidia which can cause a mc so you need to stay away from lambing (which wrecked me as I am a sucker for baby lambs!). My doc went through a fair list with me until I was laughing my head off!! I'm heavily into my animals and animal behaviour so she said she was taking no chances!

chaos- where do you get them trays from? im not pregnant yet but have a cat he is an indoor cat but never the less i do the tray hubby doesnt have a strong stomach and i alsways swore i,d never get rid of the the cat.

so if we wore gloves and wore a nasel mask we would be ok?

I live with my OH's mum an shes got loads of animals you cant move for a cat, dog or sheep lol il be out of there soon enough anyway :happydance:

There are also warnings about doing gardening in case you find any cat poo in there. Think as long as you go for the rubber gloves etc you should minimise risk, but I'd stay away if you possibly can.

I think il stay away from the gardening lol its not really my thing haha. X

Me neither - but it's not OH's either. I do try and help sometimes but think I'll stick to cutting things back rather than pulling weeds out this year - any excuse!

Its his mums house so i dont really have to get involved anyway so i can just sit back an watch lol. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"