Catchment area

bbbbbbb811

Reaction score
if I apply for a school outside catchment area but they aren’t oversubscribed will they still take my child? The school is around 30 minutes away from current address but will be moving between September and December right next to to the school and my daughter starts reception in September. Can they refuse a place if they have space available because we are too far away?

Not the same but we also began the process of moving around the time we needed to be applying for our older daughter. We were trying to change towns but there was a problem with some of the documentation we used to obtain a mortgage so the process took much longer than expected and as a result, we missed the deadline (didn't know if we would even be able to move or if it would all just fall through).

We did end up securing the house in the end and had to make a late application.

As it happened, we ended up deferring her for a year anyway, so even though we were too late to get a place at the school we wanted (which is about twenty seconds' walk from the back gate of our new house), it didn't matter. We have reapplied and gone through the process again, and will hear in April whether or not she has a place there.

It was very stressful and upsetting at the time. I rang the local council and emailed back and forth with the admissions office to ask for advice. I would urge you to do the same. I also spoke to and visited the schools we were planning to apply to, to sort of 'make ourselves known' as it were.

I know there is an option (on the paper application form at least) to enter your new address if you are planning to move.

I'd ring whoever you can and ask what you can do about this. They're usually very happy to help. :)

I am not sure if this will apply if you don't live in a town, as we live in London. As far as I know, if you do live in a town the school would have to be in the same borough as your home address. We were planning on moving to a new borough while the boys were in reception. When I called the school board ppl I was told I could only apply once we have an official move in date which would have to be before the school year starts (or it would have to be a late transfer). I suppose you could lie but then again, it might all come out if they have to send your mail to somewhere completely different. Maybe the best bet would be to call your local school board (or rather the one for the new area) and find out what the catchment criteria are. Good luck!

Hi thank you for your replies! I applied to the school out of catchment, and I will find out in June(it was a late application) if she has got one of them! I’m hopeful on the second choice because they have 30 spaces roughly per a year group because they’ve recently expanded the school and haven’t reached full demand yet but I think to get our first choice we’d need a miracle! Lol but it was so close between which one I put first anyway I’d be happy with either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->