cats and pregnancy

lovelymummie

Reaction score
we have a 6 month old kitten is the litter safe during pregnancy? also what about when the baby is here will a cat be safe with a baby? like cot deaths when they go on there faces for milk?

im super worried as it happened to my sister but my mum caught the cat luckily x x

any advice needed and would help thanks :blush::blush: :flower:

Is your cat an indoor only cat? If so, the risk of toxoplasmosis is low. Still avoid changing litter- have somebody else do it, or wear gloves. Cats and babies can coexist just fine. I would not let any animal unsupervised around a baby.

Hi, i had a cat with my first 2 pregnancies, my df changed the litter tray and all was fine.
When the baby was born i just used to shut the cat out of the room at night so the cat couldnt sleep on the baby!!

Do not get a cot net, they dont work as my cat just used to try sleep on it like a hammock! best to just shut the cat out the bedroom. :thumbup:

My cat was 2 years old when my son was born and she was just fine. Just don't leave them alone together and tbh it was only initially she was interested in the baby. I always keep the room where the baby sleeps door closed as well so she has no opportunity to ever get into the cot.

As for cat litter so long as you either get someone else to do it or wear gloves and/or wash your hands after it will be fine. I changed the cat litter all the way through my last pregnancy and my son was fine. Cats get the bacteria from birds and rabbits/mice which are infected with it so if your cat doesn't get out to hunt there shouldn't be a chance, I'm sure I read that there is actually a higher risk from getting it from unwashed vegetables or meat..or both..it defo one of them lol.

You can change cat litter but be sure to wear gloves. Better yet, make someone else do it! :D
I think there are a lot of rumors about cats endangering babies and I doubt any of it is true. Having said that, I wouldn't let baby alone with the cat (or any animal) until they're old enough to "defend" themselves.

Is your cat an indoor only cat? If so, the risk of toxoplasmosis is low. Still avoid changing litter- have somebody else do it, or wear gloves. Cats and babies can coexist just fine. I would not let any animal unsupervised around a baby.

I have the same dilema, but we really cannot cast out our little Felix into the big bad world!!

In general I do not change the litter, however cant help but cuddle him because I love him and he always wants to be with me. I just ensure that i was my hangs thoroughly and disinfect.

Everything should be fine xxx

I have the same dilema, but we really cannot cast out our little Felix into the big bad world!!

In general I do not change the litter, however cant help but cuddle him because I love him and he always wants to be with me. I just ensure that i was my hangs thoroughly and disinfect.

OH NO! I would NEVER suggest that!! (I work in animal rescue for goodness sakes!) I just meant indoor only cats have a very low (to none) risk of toxoplasmosis. :) Do not cast out the Felix! Hehe

OH NO! I would NEVER suggest that!! (I work in animal rescue for goodness sakes!) I just meant indoor only cats have a very low (to none) risk of toxoplasmosis. :) Do not cast out the Felix! Hehe

Felix is an indoor cat and very spoilt!! hee hee

It is advised that if you're pregnant to gert someone else to change the litter trays :thumpup:
You can get a cat net for over your babys cot to stop the cat getting in.
We have two 5 month old kittens and we shut them downstairs at night so they don't get on beds etc.

I had the same thoughts about my cat Alfie. Luckily he does all his toilet business outside so i don't have to deal with that!
I am concerned about when the baby is born, purely because Alfie is so big, we'll just have to be ultra careful about shutting the nursery door and having the monitor on...
Have you noticed you cat being more affectionate? Alfie is very careful not to stand on my tummy anymore whereas he used to trample all over me! :) Follows me a lot more and wants to be on my knee the second i sit down. He was always friendly, but this is bordering on an obsession! :winkwink:

AWW reallly is that why my cat is beeing sooo nice and non stop licking my and was licing my tummy and doesnt walk over

Yeah, most animals seem to just 'know' :)

Im really worried about when lo arrives as one of my cats are really jealous, they are both 2 years old so i will have to see what happens. I love the fact I no longer have to do the cat litter OH has to do it hehe

I have 2 cats and Im hoping theyre okay with the LO, one of them is a little bit "scatty" lets say bless her!!!!

Its just a case of been really careful - my cats are both very scardy of new noises so I think if LO is crying they will spend most of the time outdoors!!!

Another thing I was going to mention that my Midwife said that if we did any gardening (not much chance!!!) but to make sure that we wore gloves for if the cats had "been outside" in the garden - so that nothing was transmitted this way too if they had done their business.

Happy and healthy 9 mths xxx

I had a Kitten right before BFP..But family decided it would be best to give her away..Better safe than sorry..I know alot of people who had cats and everything was fine..but dh didn't want the added worry...

It's all about being sensible. Wherever baby is don't let the cat near him/her :flower:

I have 3 indoor cats so toxoplasmosis is a low risk for me... but I still get OH to change the litter. It helps that I can't go near the tray now because of morning sickness :thumbup:

iv been wondering about this too. i have a burmese cat. i absolutely adore her but she likes to sit right near our faces, when we are on the couch. what about when my partner is at work and i want to go to the bathroom or kitchen? i dont have a door to my living room. its not practical to bring the baby with me everywhere i go and i know what my cat is like. i would be so worried, she would sit on the babies face. i live in an apartment. my cat doesnt go outdoors. i dread it but im thinking we will have to give cherry away. i will only give her to one of my friends. she is such a beautiful cat, that people just fall in love with when they meet her. well most do. so i know of a couple of people that would love to have her.

iv been wondering about this too. i have a burmese cat. i absolutely adore her but she likes to sit right near our faces, when we are on the couch. what about when my partner is at work and i want to go to the bathroom or kitchen? i dont have a door to my living room. its not practical to bring the baby with me everywhere i go and i know what my cat is like. i would be so worried, she would sit on the babies face. i live in an apartment. my cat doesnt go outdoors. i dread it but im thinking we will have to give cherry away. i will only give her to one of my friends. she is such a beautiful cat, that people just fall in love with when they meet her. well most do. so i know of a couple of people that would love to have her.

Can you not buy a small crate to put her in if you are only leaving the room for a few moments? It's a bit drastic to have to get rid if that is the only problem x 2 of my bigger dogs have crates and when they're in there I don't have to worry about them. Or maybe just a cat basket?

Can you not buy a small crate to put her in if you are only leaving the room for a few moments? It's a bit drastic to have to get rid if that is the only problem x 2 of my bigger dogs have crates and when they're in there I don't have to worry about them. Or maybe just a cat basket?

i hadn't thought of that!! thats definatly something too look into. its a horrible thought, of not having her here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->