Cats got kittens risk of toxoplasmosis ?

Buttony3

Reaction score
So again got myself in a panic, my cat has kittens, they are 7 weeks old and their fave place to play is the litter tray, forever cleaning up after them, they kick the litter out their tray after doing their business and some times the odd bit of poo, not to mention I have to wipe their furry butts if some gets stuck, my husband works long hours but cleans their litter every night. My concern is I kissed a kitten on the head and I'm so regretting it :( so scared of losing my baby, I am six weeks tomorrow and wash my hands loads but scared of the forgetfulness of cleaning my hands after handling them ie kissing their head! I feel crazy even writing this post but wondered if anyone has had kittens whilst pregnant, I'm more worried today as I have a sore throat and have cold like symptoms( sore throat and flu symptoms are signs of toxoplasmosis) any response welcomed xx

I *think* toxoplasmosis enters cats through eating mice and that, so if mummy cat is an indoor cat your risk of getting it should be quite low. Do ask a doctor about it though. They can do a blood test on you, too, because if you've had toxoplasmosis before you can't get it again (sort of like chicken pox for example) and it won't hurt your baby. So maybe ask for that test to put your mind at ease?

Have you had cats long? My doctor told me because I've had my cats my entire life I likely have already had toxo. He said you have to ingest fecal matter so if it was a closed mouth pucker I wouldn't be worried at all.

Thank you snuffkin, I am gonna try see doctor tomorrow to put my mind at ease, my cat does go out but hasn't caught anything in her life, no mice or birds, she's just not a hunter and I'm holding onto that fact, need to find myself a distraction from worrying! Xxx

I grew up with our pet cat who lived to 18years and we have had our cat for 3 years, I just had a crazy panic moment and it makes sense what you say bout perhaps already being immune *fingers crossed* thank you :) xxx

From what I understand, if your cat is an indoor cat and you've been handling her for years pre-pregnancy, you'd already be exposed to toxoplasmosis is she has it and because of that, it couldn't affect you while pregnant to come in contact with it again. However, if your cat is an outdoor cat, she can pick it up and bring it in, so that's a worry. It's the first time exposure to toxoplasmosis that is dangerous during pregnancy.

Anyway, I don't think that you should be worried, but it's good to call you OB for a professional opinion if you're going to be interacting with them a lot. At the very least, he/she can reassure that nothing is wrong or tell you what precautions to take if any are needed.

Thank you :) she's been indoors since kittens were born 7 weeks ago, I'm kicking myself at the bad timing, they go to their new homes next weekend and in meantime I hope doctor can maybe draw some blood, I have everything crossed that I am being a worry wort, the nhs helpline lady wasn't much help and said it's rare grrr... Thanks for your advice ladies x

Sounds like everything should be fine. She's been indoors since well before you were pregnant, so if you were going to be exposed to it, I'm sure you already would have been already. (And probably already were forever ago- especially since you grew up with a cat around as well.) Give those kitten some good cuddles and enjoy them while you still have them- just wash your hands afterwards! Even if you've already been exposed, you don't need litter debris on your hands :winkwink:

I think you will be fine, with my last pregnancy I got soil in my mouth while gardening and panicked too but went to MW and she took a blood sample and I told her I had had cats all my life so had probably been exposed at some point anyway.

Result came back and it was negative and I had no antibodies for it so was at risk of getting it so having cats all your life doesn't always mean you will have come in to contact with it

I understand the worry. I have 2 cats and I'm the one that changes the litter box. They are inside cats but we have a mud basement so we do get mice and moles and they catch them.

As far as I'm aware they never ate one though. I am slightly worried but tell myself the risk is small where I have had them so long and all the factors that the women above mentioned.

It doesn't hurt to talk to a doctor though :)

Also, from what I was told, even if a cat has it, they would have to poop it and then it takes 24 hours from the time they poop for the toxoplasmosis to become infectious. So if you are scooping the box daily, even if the cat has it, you wouldn't get it bc it hasn't sat long enough to become infectious. (you'd also have to ingest it as it's not air borne or anything) You can check that out too though with your doc or vet. When I was pregnant with lo I talked to both since I'm single and had to scoop the box and that was one of things I was told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->