Cats

nelliewhelan

Reaction score
Hi guys! I know now I'm pregnant I need to avoid litter trays etc but my cat is huge he weighs 7kg or 14 pounds! He's very clingy and likes to be close to me all the time. He paddle paws constantly and sometimes even uses my belly as a springboard when he's jumping around.

Since we found out about the baby I've been trying to stop him from doing this but the only way he will stop is if I feed him and I'm worried that the vets who already think he's overweight will take him away because they think I'm cruel.

I'm also really scared what he'll be like when I have the newborn. He likes pouncing on things under blankets and he's 11 now and has never been round children at all.

Is anyone else worrying about pets? This is my first baby so I'd appreciate any hints or tips from mums who have babies and cats!

Thanks

Hey, congrats on your pregnancy! I am cat lover too and have a massive one and did have a little one as well when my son was first born but she has subsequently died. In pregnancy I would just steer clear of the litter tray duties (unless ou have an outside cat then this isn't an issue) and even move the litter tray to be out of your space. And make sure oh cleans it regularly. I don't think cuddles and pawing are a problem so just keep enjoying your cat.

When our son was born we kicked the cats out the bedroom as he was in a Moses nex to our bed and tbh, we didn't want the cats disturbing us as well as the baby. As much as you are totally and utterly in love with your cat, you will be exponentially so with our bab so when the baby comes, ou will know what works for you in terms of what to do with the cat at night. And it's only sort lived anyway. Our sons in his own room now and the cats bacon the bed and waking us up at 2am with mice that he brings in.

I have 2 cats, when they try and jump in my lap, I usually put one hand over my uterus. One of them especially loves to massage my stomach, and I think she's slowly but surely getting the idea that that part of my stomach is a no-go zone. Besides that and the litterbox, no need to change how you interact with them.

One thing I am thinking though is that when the baby comes, I'm more inclined to find a good net for the crib to keep them than to kick them out of the room completely.

I've got 2 cats and had a litter tray my first pregnancy, oh had to empty it! He's now fitted a cat flap ;) our cats have to live in the kitchen most of the time (it's a big kitchen with sofas and an adjoining utility room with the boiler so they're happy ) but it's just cos one of them is very old and poo and wee 's everywhere if there's carpet! But when they do come through they're fine, the old one puts up with everything from my LO and now steals her food all the time! And the other one just runs off. I did find the younger one asleep in lo's Moses basket a lot before she was born so I learnt to shut doors, and I wouldn't let them sleep with her even now at 19 months! I do wash my hands and the kitchen more often now but otherwise I think baby's/pregnancy and cats are fine!!

My GP did say that if you have to clean the litterbox, wear cleaning gloves and wash your hands afterwards, but it's definitely more ideal to get someone else to do it.

These cats eh lol

I have 6 cats and love them all to bits but I am going to have to rehome 4 of them because I have too many and I am not too happy with some of their behaviour. All of my cats are spayed / neutured but four of my females have been constantly peeing everywhere since i moved to this house (7 months ago) They have started to pee on worktops, beds, walls, literally wherever and whenever and I am constantly running around after them cleaning up urine with bleach so that the place wont stink and ive got terribly paranoid about the smell of cat pee. My two younger cats who are 7 months and 14 months are very clean and use the litter boxes constantly....I have 8 boxes.
My big worry is that when i set up the crib, pram and baby chair I know these other 4 females will pee on everything and I just cant cope with it anymore. They never behaved like this in the other house and I cant keep paying £30 a time on feliway to stop this behaviour (doesnt work)

I had 3 cats when I was pregnant with DS and I had no problems with them while I was pregnant. After DS was born though 1 of my cats, who was very bonded to me and even had seperation anxiety when I was at work, became very jealous of DS and I had to rehome him with a close friend of mine. He would try and scratch any time he got near DS even before he could roll over on his own.:cry:

I am not too concerned.

I could be being a bit naive.

I have a Saint Bernard and they truly are gentle giants. I have no plans of leaving him alone with baby loose on the floor.

I am looking forward to being there for the two of them, baby and dog, to meet and play.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Andylou, my cat sounds like your females. We rehomed him when he was 4 from a rescue centre. For the first 2 years he would pee wherever and whenever he wanted I was on the verge of taking him back totally heartbroken when someone mentioned felliway which we've used ever since. With the litter tray and a cat flap he seems to have stopped but I do find the odd puddle every so often! My oh is dealing with litter trays and luckily there hasn't been a puddle since I found out I'm expecting!

We're looking to move house before baby comes and I know that will unsettle the cat! It's really all getting me nervous!

I guess it's just another thing to worry about! I spend my life worrying at the moment!

I have two cats. They were inside cats their whole first years with me. And when they were kittens. I started letting them out when I found out I was preggers and they came back. Score one for us. Then we started trying to get them to not use the litter box inside. It was tough. They peed on and around my fireplace. They pooped in boxes and they pooped in their cat beds. :wacko: after that, we started taking them out more often and we put their litter box outside too. They started going in that, and slowly we took it away, and now they go in grass or dirt. They bury it too. :happydance: I am planning to make them outside cats for good, but its hard. We let them out at night, and come 6 a.m. they are outside my bedroom window whining like they are dying! I don't want them around LO when he gets here so hopefully our putting them outside helps. If not, I may rehome.

For any ladies with dogs on this thread. I have 3. A Pitbull, a Lab, and a Pomeranian. The best thing to do is bring children around. I have a TON of friends with kids and my dogs LOVE them. It also helps to have them trained correctly. ei; feeding times, potty trained, tricks, not getting on furniture, and laying down(going to their bed) when told. We have done this with our dogs and we know they are ready for baby! :thumbup: Good luck ladies!!! xxx

From what I read if the cat is inside only and eats cat food that greatly reduces the chances of the cats contracting anything during pregnancy. The ones allowed out will be the ones eating mice/birds/...

I have 8 cats who are not leaving and same for my 2 dogs, a 50 lb mutt and a 30lb pit mix, both are crate trained but hardly put in crate. Our house is not overly big but we will make it work. I have litter boxes in the garage and some in the main part of house that will be blocked off with baby gate or something when baby crawls. Washing hands after is just common sense pregnant or not. There is also a risk of toxoplasmosis from under cooked meat, not washing the cutting board properly and gardening if a cat has been in there other ways too. I have changed the litter exclusively for the few weeks until I got a BFP and its the same inside cats so I am trying to not worry much.

I do not let my cats out due to where I live. I euthanized 2 hit by car cats in last year alone(one was pretty young other was few years old). I want to teach my child that animals are house pets not a yard ornament. Responsibility to take care of pets does not end when it is to hard or not convenient anymore. They have accidents and puke up. So do all animals-humans included.

Hi guys, sorry I seem to have set up a debate about pets! I'm really just looking for hints and tips about what to do with the cat when the baby is born, I don't want to get rid of him!

He's already shut downstairs by the use of a stair gate he's too old to jump over it! I think in the new house I will keep him downstairs at all times and make sure the baby is never left alone with him.

But what I was really wondering about is if anyone had any good distraction techniques for older cats that don't involve feeding him to keep him placid!

My top tip is tin foil in the Moses and cot before baby arrives. Cats will jump in to investigate but they hate it, we did that for a few weeks before LO was born, and they never ever went in cot or Moses again. Prior to that trick (before LO arrived) they started trying to sleep in them! X

that's a great tip sherley, ill remember that :)

I have one cat and he's my baby, there is no way in hell he's going anywhere when the baby comes. our plan is to get everything ready and in place well in advance so that ralph doesn't associate the change and destruction of some of his wee hidey-holes with the baby coming. he'll also not be allowed in the bedroom anymore :)cry:) because the moses basket will be in there. hopefully it goes ok! I think he'll be shocked at first but I think he'll love the baby eventually :cloud9:

If he should get over the gate go with a metal gate with bars up and down as opposed to the grids. None of my cats can make it over that.

I just get annoyed as I worked in rescue. Oh I am having a baby all common sense out the window must rehome or put outside asap. If the cat is used to outside it may work. If it is not chances are you will end up with a huge vet bill or no cat at some point. Trust me watching a cat walk up only using its front legs as the pelvis is broken and driving to the er vet is no fun.

Play with an interactive toy. Laser pointer or stick toy with feathers or something on end. Go easy if he is not used to playing/has joint issues. Feed little meals so that he is not going hungry 8 hours. How fat is he? can he get around/clean his butt?

Also great to get alot done before baby as give them a chance to get used to the new changes slower then all at once/while a baby is crying.

Thanks kittycat, he's about 7kilos or 14 pounds he still gets around ok he's been this big since we got him aged 4 from the rescue centre. He gets around ok and is very clean generally. The spraying thing the vet put down to being anxious because too many other cats were in his territory and the hormone plug in has worked wonderfully. He's used to the stair gate now as he seems to get lonely overnight and as soon as he heard me get up in the night he would come running and it wouldn't be possible to keep him out of the bedroom, where he enjoys pouncing on toes moving under the quilt!

He's not all that active anymore but seems to be whenever he's hungry then he becomes a nuisance!

Have 2 very treasured house cats. Absolutely wouldn't think about getting rid of them - one is very nervous and old and wouldn't tolerate a move. She may have difficulty with a baby but we will do everything to settle her. I'm not mad - i was never a 'cat person' but they are part of our family and we will make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->