Cauliflower cheese help please!

S

star-dust

Only just realised this forum has this section! I dont wnder out of septembryos much now but thought I would ask here, rather then there as I would like sensiable answers!! :rofl:

I love cauliflower cheese, my hubby on the other hand is a total feak and hates anything veg related or veg full stop!

anyhows I ave decided I want to make myself cauliflower cheese for tea but have no idea how to make it can anyione help with a nice home made recipe!
I only need enough to last me couple meals!

thanks in advance!

Hm I usually just eyeball it but grated cheddar cheese, milk, and flour are the main ingredients.. you can add a tiny bit of dijon mustard for extra flavour too, or maybe grind some pepper into it...

ok i would probably make it like this:

Cook the cauliflower just so it isn't so hard, for maybe 10/15mins on boil.

Cheese sauce:

Melt butter in a saucepan (low heat) slowly add plain flour bit by bit until you get a paste, a bit like playdough.
Then add milk slowly until it is a thickish sauce, you have to stir quite a lot and maybe whisk it. You can at this point also add some english mustard it brings out the flavour of the cheese.
Add the cheese and stir until melted, then i would also add one egg. It helps bind it all together if the sauce is a little runny, you don't have to add the egg though.

Then pour the sauce over the cauliflower and bake in the oven. :D

Mine is quiet similar to above but il post it anyway .

To starts Par boil the cauliflower hun (It allways ends up hard if not just cooked in the oven)
Maybe 10 mins in the steamer or in the pan.
Then cool right down (I run cold water over the cauliflower) then paper towel or tea towel the cauliflower off and put to one side

Make a roo to , plain Flour and butter like cook untill playdough conisistancy.

Take off heat and Add Hot milk, i think its about 250ml for a single portion cauliflower cheese :).. Go very very very slowly at adding the Milk hun as it can and will curdle and split if its not done real slow (Happened to me many of times lol).WHisk like crazy to prevent lumps.

(Oooooo and just a personal choice but when heating my mlk up in a pan i allways add 1 whoel raw onion for taste and remove when adding to the roo)

Once you have mixed all the milk in you will have a white sauce :), Put back to heat and slowly add in Cheese untill melted, I use a generous handfull of cheese in mine (But its really on prefrence)
Heat untill a nice consistancy and all cheese has gone.
Add to an oven dish over the cauliflower from earlier, And cook for 1 hour.

Half way through i sprinkle some cheese on top.

Sorry i was rambling its my fav recipe :) , Good luck . x .

If you want to bake the cauliflower after, I'd say as above boil it or steam it until it's not hard anymore. Then put the cauliflower into a baking dish, pour cheese sauce over top. mix it up... then I'd make a combination of bread crumbs and grated cheese and sprinkle that over top, and bake until the bread crumbs begin to brown :)

Oh you made me want it now, do you know whats really nice in cauliflower cheese (providing your not vegetarian) bacon, its gorgeous and I dont even like bacon usually lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->