Cell free DNA test?

breakingdawn

Reaction score
Has anyone here had the cell free DNA test? My doctor is recommending it since I am 36. I read online not only does it give you the risks for any genetic issues, it also reveals the gender. This is crazy to me since it is done at 10 weeks. (Just a couple weeks from now). Anyone else had this test done? I know it is only offered to higher risk pregnancies.

I haven't had one but I've been to a centre that does them as part of my work, it's over 99% accurate and that one percent is due to failure to collect the right cells rather than true false positives. It's a very very clever test, I'm sure it'll be offered in the NHS soon to replace amniocentesis and cvs.
I think if you're being offered it free then might as well, it would bring you a lot of peace of mind :) you don't have to find out the gender but they can tell you because they're looking at dna.. amazing isn't it.

Personally I get all screening done because even though I would be very unlikely to terminate a pregnancy based on the results of a test, I would personally prefer to prepare myself before the birth. But people feel differently and there is no right or wrong answer <3

I have a cousin who has had a Trisomy 18 baby and though usually it does not tend to run in the family, my age and that factor, just makes me want to do it. I think I would want to know the gender, it just seems so crazy to be able to find out at 10 weeks! Literally in just a couple of weeks from now. I am super nervous about the test for some reason.

I had this test done in my last pregnancy. I had 4 miscarriages before that pregnancy and 2 were confirmed to be chromosomally abnormal so we just wanted it for the peace of mind. And it gave us that. Found out we were having a healthy baby girl and I have to say I relaxed a lot more after those results! I'll probably have the test done again.

So I take it this would be a private test? I've not heard of this xx

This is not a private test. My regular obgyn has ordered it for me due to being over 35. However, if you're under 35 and not really ask risk for anything, it won't be recommended by your doctor therefore insurance won't have anything to do with it and out of pocket it cost around $2,000.

Thanks for the input Confuzion! Do you by chance recall how long it took for results?

Took 12 days exactly. I think the range was 10-14 days. We had it done through Panorama. I know there's a few other companies who do it so I'm not sure if they have different waiting times.

I'm 25 and not a high risk pregnancy at all (no family history either) but for whatever reason my doctor did the Harmony test at 10 weeks. I loved it though because it's always an extra peace of mind to know my baby is healthy and I got to find out I'm expecting a baby girl :) it only took 6 days to get the results. I definitely recommend it if you can get it done especially since it's non invasive

I had the MaterniT21 when I was pregnant with daughter back in 2012. I was over 40 and requested it since my risk was so high for trisomy 13 and 18(1 in 11). When I had the baby, the pediatrician came in and told me that the baby had markers for Down Syndrome but when I told her I had had the MaterniT21 and it came back clear she stopped searching for signs (nothing jumped out at her but she had been searching for things bc of my age). I liked having the option of a noninvasive test, and really glad there are a variety of them available now and OBs know about them. (when I had mine the only one was the MaterniT21 and my OB had never heard of it)

Thanks so much ladies for all the input!

PERWINKLE-- I just found out today they are actually doing the Harmony test. I am so confused. I thought my doctor said "Cell free DNA test"?? Do you recall how much you had to pay out of pocket? My insurance company had the WORST time finding out the info today and my doctor's office said, "Well, we don't even bill insurance for it. It is a flat $130" there is no way a DNA test without billing my insurance is that cheap. I cannot believe it is so difficult to find out the cost! I don't want to be surprised with a stupid high bill!

I'm 21 and had a harmony test done this pregnancy because my PAPP-A levels were very low and that alone put my in a high risk category for downs. In Australia, it's not covered at all by any rebates so it was totally out of pocket ($480) but I needed to know either way whether baby would have DS. It took seven days for the results - negative for T13, T18 and T21 and told us we were having a little boy!

Btw the cell free fetal DNA test IS the harmony test, it just depends on which company is doing the testing as to what the name is.

Good luck!

Thank you for clarifying that Bree! I guess I am just confused on how it is only $130 and they do not even bother billing insurance. Everyone else I have talked to said it is a really expensive test! So I am feeling confused. :O

Mine is the harmony test too. And they are right, if you call the number on the brochure they tell you the max out of pocket is $130. Mine does bill Insurance but I was told my insurance isn't contracted with them

Thanks so much ladies for all the input!

PERWINKLE-- I just found out today they are actually doing the Harmony test. I am so confused. I thought my doctor said "Cell free DNA test"?? Do you recall how much you had to pay out of pocket? My insurance company had the WORST time finding out the info today and my doctor's office said, "Well, we don't even bill insurance for it. It is a flat $130" there is no way a DNA test without billing my insurance is that cheap. I cannot believe it is so difficult to find out the cost! I don't want to be surprised with a stupid high bill!

Cell free DNA is what the test is looking for. Cell free DNA comes from the placenta so they can look to see if there is an appropriate about of DNA from each chromosome and not too much or too little, and whether there is any Y chromosome DNA (indicating that the baby is a boy, if not they deduce that it's a girl).

I have had this with both my pregnancies, even though I'm not over 35. The first time because after the NT scan the baby had some markers of downs, and this time because we liked the certainty so wanted to do it again.

Agreed your gyn can order it but you cannot request it. I guess some of baby's blood mixes in with mom's and so it can be analyzed. Crazy how science has evolved. I know panorama is one, but does anybody know any others? I would have to pay to get it done, but the panorama guy is an hour away

I've being looking into this, I'm in the UK and would have to pay for it, not on the NHS.

Agreed your gyn can order it but you cannot request it. I guess some of baby's blood mixes in with mom's and so it can be analyzed. Crazy how science has evolved. I know panorama is one, but does anybody know any others? I would have to pay to get it done, but the panorama guy is an hour away

You can request it to be done if your OB doesn't know about it. You ask your OB and give them the info and they can order it. (is that what you meant? just didn't want folks to think they couldn't ask for it) The tests I know of are the MaterniT21 from Sequenom labs in California, Panorama and Harmony. You can call the labs yourself and get info to give to your OB so they can order it. That's what I did.

OP: from what I understand (and what happened in my case) is that the labs doing the test have set an out of pocket amount and that's all you will pay whether your insurance pays or not. You shouldn't get a bill from the lab.

You can request it to be done if your OB doesn't know about it. You ask your OB and give them the info and they can order it. (is that what you meant? just didn't want folks to think they couldn't ask for it) The tests I know of are the MaterniT21 from Sequenom labs in California, Panorama and Harmony. You can call the labs yourself and get info to give to your OB so they can order it. That's what I did.

OP: from what I understand (and what happened in my case) is that the labs doing the test have set an out of pocket amount and that's all you will pay whether your insurance pays or not. You shouldn't get a bill from the lab.

Sorry I forget not everyone is me. I have Kaiser, and I requested it even offered to pay out of pocket. They said absolutely not because I'm 27. So for me to get it done I have to find a private practice who is willing to see me just for that and pay out of pocket. The labs won't work with Kaiser unless the Kaiser gyn requests it. There were two in the area but one lady was b*y on the phone and the other is just so far and I feel bad because I have cancelled three times on him due to losses =\. But that was when I called for Panorama.

Thank you for the names!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"