Cervical length at 24 weeks was 2.9, now at 29 weeks it's 1cm?? Should I be worried??

Rachb1987

Pregnant EDD 1st may
Reaction score
Since 20 weeks I've been into hospital 4 times with bleeding and after a routine colposcopy at 25 weeks was told I have a cervical erosion due to loop excision treatment a month before I conceived. They have told me this is the reason for the bleeding.
2 days ago I had a lot of braxton hicks in a short time and then work up with bleeding and a lot of mucus so went back into hospital where they examined me and just told me I have a "slight" risk of pre term labour and gave me steriod injections. However when I've read my notes it says on examination my cervix "appeared" closed, was around 1cm and could admit a fingertip?? None of this was mentioned to me...I called back and asked should I be worried and they said if the doctor thought it was a cause for concern he would of kept me in. I was under the impression a length of 1cm at 29 weeks was bad? Haven't been advised bed rest etc or anything else. Anyone else had a similar experience?
I've been having a bad time lately, as I lost my mum when I was 5 weeks pregnant and it's only starting to sink in...I feel like I have enough stress without the extra worry xx

I didn't want to be the first one replying, but didn't want to not say something. I am currently on bed rest with incompetent cervix after cervix cerclage done at 21 weeks (current 22+4 wks). When admitted in the hospital, my cervix was closed but funneling, measuring 2.1cm. A week after surgery and bed rest, u/s was showing no more funneling and cervix 2.8cm. However dr maintained bed rest restrictions for the rest of the pregnancy.

I think each dr is different and has different approaches from case to case. Based on my case and a couple of other similar cases, I would say that at least bed rest should have been recommended since 1 cm is a short length.

I have another friend admitted at 28 weeks with a shortened cervix and contractions and she was recommended bed rest as well. Another one at 23 weeks but hers was a little dilated and she was put on bed rest as well. The complications of a preterm baby should determine the dr to take in consideration bed rest.

Based on your case, if you can afford to be in bed rest even if you don't have a dr recommendation, I would say do so. Try to have your legs elevated as much as possible. If it would interfere with work, then you probably need the dr's note.

I think if you feel in your heart that something is not right, you should talk with the dr and express all your concerns. And if the nurse gives you a hard time, try to bypass and get to the dr. At least after you talk with him/her, you can better understand why they want you to do a thing or another.

Better to be safe than sorry. Hope other women will reply with their opinion and their experiences.

Best luck!

Well I put myself on bed rest....but gave birth to a little boy on the 22nd feb at 30+1. He's doin amazingly well! :) sometimes I guess you justgiving know your own body more than the doctors! Even wen I went in again with pains on the 20th the doctor told me I shouldn't have gone in :/

Congratulations on your baby and so glad it's doing good. I'm imagining it's a little of a hard road but it's great that it's a good outcome.
I am amazed by some doctors and their lack of consideration and sometimes knowledge.

I always look for good doctors and it's not always easy. I want to believe I have a good OB at least and she is my second in this pregnancy. I don't regret I made the change. As you can see from your case, what a difference makes.

Wish you and baby the best. May God give you strenght and healing :)

Even with a short or IC you can stay stable. Yes 1cm is rather short, but as long as it is watched and you take it easy you could stay at 1cm for weeks. Heck your cervix can even grow longer once on bed rest. It has happened to me twice. I have IC and with bed rest it stayed fairly stabled. Stable as in I kept closed, with no funnelling and no length loss or very little length loss. Also some women can have a very short cervix and actually go over 40weeks. My point is that a short cervix or even IC doesn't equal doom.

I think mixed with all the other problems though I knew 1cm wasn't good..I had him within 5 days of being examined. They wer contemplating giving me a stitch early on because of treatment I'd had and I always thought they should have done. Lucky for us all Connor came into the world healthy and is doing really well :)

My situation is starting to look scarily similar to this... lots of contractions and cervix shortened from 3.4 cm to 2.7 cm in 2 weeks...

The OB who measured my cervix didn't seem overly concerned. I'll definitely be very cautious though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->