• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Cervical Length

brooke28

Toddler & Newborn Twins
Reaction score
I go next week for a cervical length scan, and I was just wondering what this is, and what to expect during it??

I don't think I had this done with my singleton pregnancy. So I really am clueless about it.

I think they only do this with multiples it's just another scan and an internal.
I was told if my cervix was under 2cm long there was a higher chance of me going into premature labour.

It's an ultrasound wand that they insert. They are very gentle about this and they don't have to press up against the cervix or anything. It is very quick.

As for why: the cervix is like a long cylinder. Imagine a long can. It's what is between your babies and the world. As you get closer to giving birth, the can starts to get shorter (less mass between your baby and the world) and the bottom of the can starts to open, or dilate.

When you lose ALL of your cervical length, and the can is a pancake, you are 100% "effaced". The next thing to happen, if it hadn't already, is dilation, where the cervix starts to open.

If, early on in the pregnancy, your cervix is starting to shorten or even dilate, you will be put on bed-rest, to take pressure off of the cervix (it's not able to securely hold the babies in if it's starting to efface.) Sometimes this happens because of actual pre-term labor, other times it is just a weak cervix. And still OTHER times, a woman can have a "dynamic" cervix that is getting into the scary zone of length and then the next week *voila* back to the secure zone.

It's very good that the doctors are keeping an eye on your cervical length, it means you are in good hands.

If you have any problems with your length, join in the threads about that issue on the "Gestational Complications" forum. I used to frequent there.

xoxoxo

To echo the others, CL checks are usually done on women with suspected incompetent cervix, or have had cervical surgery in the past. Some centres also screen multiple ladies just because the strain is greater on your cervix than in a singleton pregnancy. This sounds like a routine screening for you hun, and you are actually lucky that your docs are being so thorough. It is rare to have cervical issues in pregnancy, so try not to worry x

I had the cervical checks done every three weeks from week 14 until week 26.Im glad that I had them done.

interesting..Hadn't heard of this. wonder if they'll do that to me..?

Thank you all so very much!!!

RainbowGift-You explained everything so well, I really really appreciate it so much. You have put my mind at ease now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"