Cervix terminology or complain.

jenkinskay

Reaction score
Could someone help because i don't want to google this information and stress myself out.

As most of you are aware I've been in and out of hospital since I was 23 weeks pregnant.

I had contractions again got dr and mw to examine me. 1 with a speculum and 1 finger and scan.

Speculum and fingers advised 2cm dilated with my cervix being soft and favourable.

Scan confirmed that baby is fully engaged and will not pop back out.

Now previous to this a week before I was advised the length of my cervix was 1.5cm. This means nothing to me.

A few days before that my cervix went to 3cm.

Now here is the confusion when I was transferred recently to labour ward I was informed by another mw that dr noted in my records OS closed?!? This has happened twice.

How would you interpret all of this and would you be tempted to complain?? Just to add I became good friends with the women on my ward and they all confirmed they heard what I heard. X

Hiya, what is the information
You are wanting to google? Is it that you aren't sure what os closed means? If so this means your cervix is closed and not dilated. I haven't read your posts previously so I don't know what your history is, is this your first baby though? Because if you have children previously then your cervix is always slightly open so this may be where the confusion between staff lies? Who was is who said 2cm dilated? The same dr?
If not then it may be a difference of opinion between medical professionals as to how dilated your cervix is. Xx

Hi.

This was my 8th admission.

Second child.

I've had a total of 4 doctors tell me I'm dilated and numerous mw confirm this. I just don't understand how drs and mw are saying soft, favourable, dilated, fully engaged then 15 minutes later a different doctor examines me and says different.

Ah right I see. Well the baby can still be fully engaged but not ready to come and the cervix can be favourable without being dilated, but the 2cm dilation I would take as starting to dilate personally, however you're not in active labour until 3-4cm. The doctor who examined you and said that you weren't dilating is a difference of opinion, measuring vaginal dilation isn't an exact science and because of individual's hand size etc it does unfortunately leave margin for error x

That's what I thought. Different hand size etc. but why did the doctor and mw examine me with a scan and speculum to confirm this. This has been several doctors on different days and shifts say that I'm dilated etc.

If it's your second baby your cervix could always be 2cm dilated which is what means " os closed"...it has not started to dilate because you are in labour by the sound of it, however some changes are happening. The fact that your cervix was 3cm long and now is 1 1/2 cm long means it has started to efface, meaning move forward.....it needs to do this before it starts to dilate. What is it you want to complain about? x

Last time when i was in waiting for induction my cervix changed from 1cm soft to 0cm and firm. I was able to have a sweep the first day at 1cm but the next morning it was impossible to give me another one! I think it can change a bit. :flower:

Your cervix can close again even if it was dilated before also.

I have also gone from being dilated 2-3 then back to 0 like you different drs so difference of opinion and margin of error..Not sure what you would achieve by complaining about this?

How many weeks are you? GL :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"