Champagne and crumpets, my November wedding blog *We did it! Photos included*

Quick question...

If you were a guest at a wedding and weren't having a proper three course meal but just a buffet, would you mind it if the cutlery was all mismatched and you didn't have like three forks and three knives all for different things? And you just had one of each, and perhaps not the 'right' sort for dinner, and there were more available if you need them? Also, would it bug you if everyone didn't have the same sort of glass and some people had wine glasses and others had brandy glasses and things?

Cutlery wise I'd say it doesn't matter much - buffets give a more informal feel anyway and I think mismatched cutlery is pretty quirky anyway. Glass wise however I'd say it does matter. Are you planning on laying the tables? You could always take a drink order beforehand and then only give wine glasses to those actually having wine, etc.

Are you hiring a catering company? Will they not provide cutlery? Are you hiring glasses?

I was thinking of just giving everyone a wine style glass but all different, like this: https://pinterest.com/pin/17381148533698241/
Only because I'm sourcing everything myself and finding it hard to get things all the same, plus I kind of like the mismatched look. Gonna have extra glasses on the drinks table anyway. No I'm not hiring a catering company, doing it all myself, and buying all the cutlery and things second hand.

I was thinking of just giving everyone a wine style glass but all different, like this:

Only because I'm sourcing everything myself and finding it hard to get things all the same, plus I kind of like the mismatched look. Gonna have extra glasses on the drinks table anyway. No I'm not hiring a catering company, doing it all myself, and buying all the cutlery and things second hand.

Did you post a pic? It didn't show :dohh:

I like the mismatched look too. Just to let you know though, I knew from working at a pub that supermarkets hire out glasses, but I just googled and found out Sainsbury's actually offer a free service :wacko:

https://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/products-values/instoreservices/glass-hire/

Obviously they're only bog standard plain glasses but it's amazing that they're free!

ETA just saw the link you posted - that looks good. As long as they all serve the right purpose I don't suppose it matters that they don't match!

Quick question...

If you were a guest at a wedding and weren't having a proper three course meal but just a buffet, would you mind it if the cutlery was all mismatched and you didn't have like three forks and three knives all for different things? And you just had one of each, and perhaps not the 'right' sort for dinner, and there were more available if you need them? Also, would it bug you if everyone didn't have the same sort of glass and some people had wine glasses and others had brandy glasses and things?
Wouldnt be bothered at all..I think the style and venue of your wedding it would be expected anyway..and quite quirky x

Wouldn't bother me at all!

If it was my wedding though I think I'd want the same type of glasses e.g. All wine glasses

Wouldn't bother me one bit with the cutlery. But as xemmax said I think the glasses need to match their purpose. Ie, everyone have a wine glass and a water glass. That doesn't mean all the wine glasses have to match, but as a guest I wouldn't want to drink wine out of a low ball tumbler or whiskey out of a wine glass, if you know what I mean!? I'm sure that's not what you intended though :)

I love it when things are all mis matched like that ,I think if you just found as many as you can put them all down the middle of the table and let people grab whatever they like it would be lovely x

Okay so after loads of saying I wasn't having bridesmaid's and not doing a big isle procession I think my dad would be upset if we didn't do that so we're being traditionalists and having two bridesmaids. I think one will walk down the isle and the other will stand at the end and sing but I'm not 100% on that yet. Anyway, the outfits. I love antique 1930s and 1900-1915 gowns, but also love the boho/hippie thing. All of which are impossible to find outfits for. I want them to look elegant and unusual but not costumey.

Sophie is very tall and very skinny (and lives on chocolate, bitch). She'd be the one walking down the isle. For her, we were thinking a replica of the green Atonement dress, but in vintage white or perhaps a dark colour like plum or olive green. Then a kimono or shawl over her shoulders for the ceremony, and to make it a bit more casual. In their hair they'd have geometric 1930s hair clips, and hair like below. Minimal jewellery.
231a876231583ff8970b2b78d2db32ca.jpgatonement-knightley-green_400-707971.jpg
Hannah I have more of a problem with as she has my figure (size 8-10ish and curvy with big boobs) I have found this dress which you're all gonna hate but I think it would look amazing on:https://www.etsy.com/listing/117460998/yellow-silk-edwardian-dress-as-is?ref=shop_home_active but I don't know if she'd go for it as she's 18 and very particular about things (I know you're all thinking you wouldn't wear it either, but it will look amazing on, trust me!). I was also thinking about getting something like this made for her, which I think is amazing, but not sure if she'll go for that either and she's impossible to get in contact with! 02c612d23880611656d92aac063c1142.jpg

I must have unsubscribed somewhere along the line... what did you decide about the glasses? I actually love the mismatched idea, and the grabbing your own idea! And it would go perfectly with your wedding :D xx

Looooove that green dress. It's beautiful. I personally would have it in one of the darker colours but vintage white or cream would be gorgeous too.
As for the second dress, I actually do like the style...but the colour? I prefer it more than the last dress too. But my MOH would LOVE that :lol:

If your second bridesmaid is 'difficult' to get hold of and find something she'll wear is he really someone you want as a bridesmaid?

I am obsessed with mustard yellow :dohh: She's actually very dark skinned with dark brown hair so I think the colour would suit her, and it goes with the theme. Anyway it doesn't matter, she had a huge strop at me over FB. Conversation went like this... My and Sophie discussing dresses (I added both to a convo, Hannah ignored it). I showed Sophie loads, she gave her opinion but she said she'd wear anything really. We talked about the Atonement dress for her figure etc and chose colours. I text Hannah to get her butt in to the convo and she does, asking what I want. Then "Meh, they suck. And why do we have to wear floor length ones. I wanted a short one for my leavers do". Ignored this, showed them both the hairstyle. Hannah goes mad, see below. Arghhh she is driving me mad. Bloody teenagers. And she is my bridesmaid because she begged and begged saying she said she'd wear whatever I liked etc etc, and I can't really have Sophie & not Hannah, and Hannah was gonna sing etc etc. They're both my little sisters by the way, though ironically much closer to each other than to me. I have two older ones too but one is nearly 50 and the other has just had a baby and would hate to do it. I would have asked her LO to be a flower girl but she won't be walking most likely. Aaaanyway, and breathe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 20.50.53.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-28 at 20.50.53.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 30
Looooove that green dress. It's beautiful. I personally would have it in one of the darker colours but vintage white or cream would be gorgeous too.
As for the second dress, I actually do like the style...but the colour? I prefer it more than the last dress too. But my MOH would LOVE that :lol:

If your second bridesmaid is 'difficult' to get hold of and find something she'll wear is he really someone you want as a bridesmaid?

I would prefer a darker colour, though if they both insist on the same dress, which Hannah is doing at the moment, I'll have to get different colours. I really hate matching dresses for some reason :shrug:

Argh, oh my god, I would NOT have her as my bridesmaid!!!! I purposely didn't ask one of my friends for the very same reason, that she would think the day is all about her. She threw a right strop over it but at the end of the day I knew I made the right decision, for my own sanity :lol: Incidentally, the same girl threw her toys out the pram over the hen do and is now not even coming :wacko:

So sorry doll, the only advice I can give re: Hannah is to not have her in the bridal party :lol: What was the hair thing all about?! Has she come up with any suggestions for dresses at all?!

And I'm with you on the matching dresses :thumbup: why don't you choose a dress that comes in a long and short version (coast do most of theirs in both lengths). That way they can have the "same" dress but Hannah gets her short one

Oh god the hair thing... I literally asked her what she thought of the hairstyle I had in mind (the one on this thread) and she came out with that out of the blue :wacko: She has very short hair and dyes it red and she knows it isn't my thing- we're sisters, we're rude to each other- but I never said anything about her hair in relation to the wedding, and I wasn't gonna ask her to grow it! Anyway, never mind.

I really want long dresses, I don't know why, I just have it in my head that I do. Even if I find a shorter one that I love I guarantee she won't like it. She wants this one but I really don't like it, it's not right for the wedding at all IMO:
https://www.joythestore.com/faf-v-bead-design-dress

Your ex-bridesmaid sounds delightful! You know, neither of mine have helped with a single thing wedding, and I would be absolutely amazed if they threw me a hen do. Ah well.

Oh and ironically, I can find no page boy outfits I like anywhere, and am struggling with the BM dresses, but I could easily kit out 30 flower girls in different outfits. But yeah, I don't have a daughter :dohh:

Yeah I don't like that dress either. She sounds like a bloody brat to me, at that point I would probably have told her to do one :rofl: but I don't have a good temper when it comes to people trying to have a say in my wedding! Obviously you're both going to have to compromise somewhere... but what if she isn't willing to? xx

Oh, no, I agree, that dress isn't right. And if she's curvey I'm not sure that dress would suit her? I have just found my perfect evening dress on that website though :lol: so thanks for that. Haha

You shouldn't have to compromise. It's your wedding!! God help her when she's a bride and is on the receiving end of all this :haha:

I am just gonna keep searching, and try and get my mum to persuade her to at least try some of my suggestions!

On a different note, I found the most amazing lipstick! It's long wearing and doesn't need a liner and it looks so so good. It's Colour Shine in Bare by Tom Ford. Was basically bullied in to it by the sales assistant (who also told me my eyebrows needed threading and that my skin was too dry -_- ) and it was crazy expensive but lipsticks last me forever and I'm so glad I've found the perfect shade :happydance:

This is the lipstick. I didn't want glossy but I think this just looks sort of dewy and I like the finish. And I like how it looks like I'm not wearing lipstick. I know that sounds silly but I need lipstick or my lips just vanish in photos. Anyway, I love it!

Attachments

• Photo on 29-03-2013 at 19.20.jpg
    Photo on 29-03-2013 at 19.20.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member