chance of MC drops after HB???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by third time, Apr 7, 2009.

1. third time

third time Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the truth?? I saw the HB at 8 weeks and then have been online, apparently once you have seen the HB the chance of MC drops to around 3% - esp after 9 weeks.?

Does anyone know if this is true or has anyone heard anything different. I think i'm loosing my mind worrying about MMC!!!

Thanks Amy xx

2. polaris

polaris Mother of two

Hi Amy, I worry a lot about MMC too because a friend of mine had one recently and didn't know anything was wrong till 12 week scan, on the scan she found out that the baby had died at 7 weeks. I have heard that once you see a viable heart beat the risks decrease dramatically, I have heard 3% too but not sure where that figure comes from. However, I do know that MMC is actually very rare compared to regular MC, the risk of MMC is only 1% so it is pretty unlikely. Doesn't stop us worrying though.

3. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I'm sure somebody posted a link the other day to the misscarriage association or something like that where it said that if a heart beat were seen and baby were measuring right at 8weeks then there was a 98% chance everything would be fine and it increased to 99.4% at 12 weeks or something similar.

4. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Here we go

http://www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/ma2006/information/ultrasound.htm

If the scan picks up a heartbeat and the baby appears to be the right size according to your dates, this can be very reassuring. Research has shown that if you see a heartbeat at 6 weeks of pregnancy, the chances of the pregnancy continuing are 78%. A heartbeat at 8 weeks increases the chance of a continuing pregnancy to 98% and at 10 weeks to 99.4%. So things could still go wrong, but as long as there is a heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage decreases as the weeks go by

5. third time

WOW - guys you just made me cry - hormones!

I feel so much better after reading that information!!! I just hope that I'm in the majority now - fingers crossed.

Probably will still contune to worry but feel much more relaxed already! The knowledge and support on this place is just fab!!

Good Luck to you all!

Amy xx

6. jessica rabbi

jessica rabbi Well-Known Member

im still worried too .. i had a missed misscarriage back in november 2008

im pregnant again and im 9 weeks 2 day i had a scan at 7 weeks and 3 days and seen a strong heart beat .. but im still scared and i probebly will be untill my 12 weeks scan

:bfp:03/03/09
    first scan on 27/03/09 seen the HB:happydance:

7. third time

8. third time

Hey jessica, we're 9 weeks at the same time, 10th Nov due???

I think we just have to stay positive. If you read the information on the miscarriage page that one of the other girls posted on this thread, it will make you feel a bit more relaxed!!!

Good Luck hun xx

9. Rebaby

Rebaby Mama to 2 boys

Thanks for the link, that is really reassuring. We saw the heartbeat at 6+6 and our next scan will be at 10+5, so i am hoping after that i might (possibly?!) be able to relax a little more!

10. third time

I know how scary!

11. moomoo

moomoo Mumma to 2 & 1 in heaven!

Im the same, also saw a HB at 7w4d.. and worried about mmc after having on last year in october... Got another scan booked for 10w4d but still paranoid!!!!!!

x

12. Wendyk07

Wendyk07 Mummy to Derrin and PAL

I hadnt realised that MC was so common until i joined here. I should be happy right now but i cant help but worry.

Roll on 12wks.

:hug:

13. third time

I'm starting to feel happy, everybody keeps asking if I'm excited, I'm really trying to be - OH is doing my head in with how excited he is, I just can't seem to stop worrying!

I suppose what will be will be!!

Amy xx