chances of a gender scan being wrong?

happygal

mum of 3
Reaction score
we had a private gender scan last week which was great. When i was first scanned the sonographer said after a few mins he had a good idea what we were having, but baby was laid with legs crossed so asked me to go for a short walk and to have a cold drink. We went back in to be scanned again and this time we were told we are having a girl, the sonographer carried on scanning for a little while longer then said, oh wait now im not sure. at the end of the scan he said he was 90% sure we are having a girl and that within the 30 mins we were being scanned, if it was a boy something would of popped up. we left the room feeling a little disappointed that we didnt know for sure, we went and sat in reception to wait for our copy of the dvd of the scan and the sonographer came back out and said he had forgotton to do the dvd so asked us to go back in for another scan so he could do the dvd for us. Again he was saying he thought baby was a girl but then as she turned over he sounded sure and said he had seen the 3 lines now and was sure its a girl. Me and OH were over the moon as between us we already have 3 boys so were really hoping for a little girl. The thing is though, untill we have our nhs scan in jan my OH wont believe that we are having a girl, he is so worried that he will let himself believe it only to be told at our next scan that its a boy so he doesnt want to get his hopes up. The sonographer seemed pretty certain the last time but i was just wondering if anyone knows if scans are often wrong? Im dying to go shopping for pretty pink clothes but OH doesnt want me to untill we have had it confirmed at our next scan. Only got to wait untill the 8th of jan so at least its not too long :thumbup:

Sorry for the long post, didnt think i would go on so much lol x

well they could be wrong. i've never had one tell me wrong but i've heard of others having the problem. Usually it's boys though. but, if you are having another scan i'd wait till then to buy the clothes. good luck!

my OH's face lit up when the sonographer said it was a girl, i really hope he was right, my OH would be over the moon. So far he has let me buy a pair of pink booties but im not allowed to buy anything else untill we have had it confirmed at our next scan.i guess it does me a favour really coz this close to xmas i could do without rushing out to spend my money on frilly pink clothes lol x

well they could be wrong. i've never had one tell me wrong but i've heard of others having the problem. Usually it's boys though. but, if you are having another scan i'd wait till then to buy the clothes. good luck!

It is more common for little boys to accidentally be mistaken for little girls, didn't want to scare you hun. When i had my scan the lady said sexing girls was harder, they can look like girls but are actually boys and their bits have not yet developed. I am sure you are fine tho, he got to see what he needed for a long long time. If he wasn't sure he wouldn't have said... you have a little girlie xxx

altogether we were being scanned for 45 mins so the sonographer got to have a good look. im inclined to think he was right seeing as he siad at first that he was only 90% sure but by the time we left he said it was deffinately a girl. i think my OH is just a bit worried because the sonographer was a bit unsure to start with. roll on the 8th of jan x

altogether we were being scanned for 45 mins so the sonographer got to have a good look. im inclined to think he was right seeing as he siad at first that he was only 90% sure but by the time we left he said it was deffinately a girl. i think my OH is just a bit worried because the sonographer was a bit unsure to start with. roll on the 8th of jan x

it can never be 100% accurate in my opinion wait until jan 8th and see waht they say xx

One of my friends got told she was having a boy and she bought everything blue and chose the name........... ended up it was a girl x

im hoping that when we go for our next scan next month we will be told again that its a girl, im guessing its fairly rare to get the sex wrong twice....i hope!

even the best U/S scan is only 99% sure anyway so 90% is pretty good. I was given a 75% chance of a girl with my last one and she is deffo a girlie girl. DH didn't want to buy pink things for her til we had a better scan but I didn't listen to him I knew she was a girl. I did keep the tags on things so I could exchange them later if needed tho.

I got told i was having a little boy at 17 weeks but then at my 20 week told a little girl!! :wacko: anyway i was told that in almost 4 years of the place being open i was only the 5th person to be given the wrong gender! so to me thats ALOT of correct scans :thumbup: i also got a freebie scan for it being wrong :happydance:

xxx

obviously if it turns out we are having a boy, we will still be happy.but when we have 3 boys between us, it would be so nice to have a little girl. im glad we dont need to wait to long untill our next scan x

I think as soon as you hear its a girl next scan you can relax, I was the same hun so i understand where your OH is coming from. It took me 3 scans before i finally believed he was a boy :cloud9: and that was only because he was showing himself for the whole 20mins!! xxx

Even the 20 week scans can be inaccurate. My hospital cites 90% accuracy at 20 weeks (boys' testes descend at 22 weeks or so). I was told girl at 17 weeks, and he was almost certain he said (and we got a toilet shot); but I forgot to ask at my 20 weeks scan, but am having it redone on 23rd Dec as they had to get some extra stuff, so will ask then. I won't believe it 100% until she comes out, or at least until my 4d scan, though, as I really think it must be so tricky to tell for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->