Chances of a sweep working at at 41+1

Nov11_Mummy2b

Poppy-Mae's Mummy
Reaction score
Ok I am currently 38+4 but had my 38week MW app today. Although I am not due for another 10days my MW has booked me in for a sweep on 5th Dec at 41+1 just incase my little girl hasn't made an appearance. Orginally I was going to be booked in at 40+4 but MW said the longer you leave it the more chance of the sweep working.
So if I do go over, what are the chances of the sweep working at 41+1 and has anyone else had a sweep done around this time and it has been successfull? Also what is the exact procedure of the sweep? How is it done and what is done? Me & OH did ask the MW but she replied using alot of technical words that we really didnt understand lol. Although she did say it would involve an internal.
I am hoping and praying that baby does come sometime soon, but would just like opinions or experiences.

hey i had 2 sweeps in my pregnancy i had one at about 38weeks and another at 40weeks..they put there 5 fingers up there and check how much your cervix has opened it if is open they can get in there and kinda try open it but if it isclosed then they can not..i hate anything to do with them going up there but it was not as bad as i thought..the next morning i woke up with like some off it come out and a little blood but that was all..

some ladys it works for but at 38weeks i was 1-2 cm dilated and it did nothing for me. xx
hope this helps

i don't know what type of MW you have Sarah but non of my sweeps have ever involved having a whole hand up there!

The sweep will entail the MW wearing gloves, a little bit of lube then two fingers being placed inside your vagina and move up to your cervix. Once she is at your cervix she will be able to tell how long your cervix is and then she will also find the opening of your cervix. Once she has located the opening of your cervix she will place one of her fingers inside the opening and sweep around the top of the cervix where the babies head is resting to strip the membranes from the cervix.

This has a good change of stimulating labour within 48 hours. Usually if nothing has happened within 48 hours you will be offered a second sweep.

My first sweep did not do any thing, but my second stimulated labour within 24 hours (DS1)

I have had a sweep today with DS2 and now its just a waiting game.

HTH

she had more then 2 up there i saw 4! i hated my hospital it was the worst care ever x

I had a sweep at 41 wks exactly and although she said she couldn't do it properly I went into labour 24 hrs later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"