Chances of twins?

Mummylou23

Reaction score
Am a twin this is 5th pregnancy had loss between two of my pregnancies
Am late 20s what's chances of this prdgnancy. Been twins? Nervous Lolol

I've actually wondered this myself as my OH has a cousin with twin girls, his dad has twins in his family and his mum has twins in her family! But I'm not sure where twins comes from or who determines them or anything! Hopefully someone will be along with a bit more experience of them!

If you're an identical twin then you have the same chance as anyone else since identical twins are random. Fraternal twins come from the mom having a gene for hyperovulation, so if you are a fraternal twin, you could also carry that gene.

As far as on the man's side...a man could carry the gene if his mother had it and then pass it on to his daughter. But if you marry a man who has twins in his family it wouldn't make you more likely to have twins.

Oh, and hyperovulation (releasing more than one egg) can occur without the gene. Women in their early 30's have a higher chance then women in their 20's.

The older you are and the more pregnancies you have, the higher your chances get, from what I've heard. Your chances of having a singleton are still significantly greater than having twins though.

I'm wondering about twins myself. They run in my family and I've gained much more weight a lot faster this time around. I think my pregnancy rhinitis is a lot worse than last time too. But then again, every pregnancy is different, so things could just be different this time around!

As for the question about how twins happen, Scout provided a very good answer.

my trousers didn't fit at 5+2 this time ??!??? and lasted way longer last time hmmm lol

I've had a sneaking suspicion that I'm carrying twins from the way I feel and both my boyfriend and son in 2 separate occasions said( neither knew the other said it) that they thought I was having 2.but I highly doubt either of us are. Although it seems common its still a pretty high probability

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->