Changing from Infant Carrier to Big Kids Car Seat....

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
So Hebe weighs 19lb 10oz as of yesterday which is 9kg.

The HV pointed out that I should check her carseat is still suitable and be ready to change shortly. I mentioned that my sister had told me they not only need to meet the minimum weight requirement, but they also need to sit unaided for 10mins. The HV said it was better to go on the weight rather than her sitting ability.

Hebe can not sit unaided for 10 mins - no way!!

Her car seat looks too small for her BUT it claims to safely take 13kg. The only downer is she's definately scrunched up in it.

I was going to look at some other bits I wanted so while I was there I looked at carseats. The lady in the shop said that she needs to sit unaided for 15mins and be 8 months old!!! She aint gonna fit in that seat for another month and a half!!!!

Anyhoooo....I bought a suitable seat and said I'd wait a while to put her in it.

Anyone else in this predicament??? :dohh: What have you done??

:D

You say she is scrunched up, would that be her legs??
Is he head near the top of her carseat at the moment??

maddi went into the next car seat before she could sit unaided, i never thought they needed to, the lady in mothercare, when we had it fitted didn't mention sitting unaided so unsure on that honey, we went by weight and maddi was great weight for her new one, and was sooooo heavy and scrunched up in her infant carrier :)

i'm in the same predicament lise.

we have now bitten the bullet and he's out of his maxi cosi and into a britax first plus. he has been facing backwards in it the last couple of days but i'm going to change him to forward facing. he is around 20lbs. britax say you go on weight and if they are over 9kg they can go forward i believe.

xx

Thanks girls :hugs:

Maddi - this was in Mothercare World....:dohh:

Alio - they didnt tell me I could face the Brittax backwards!!!!

You say she is scrunched up, would that be her legs??
Is he head near the top of her carseat at the moment??

Her legs are touching the seat infront IYKWIM and her head is where is should be but it's just she looks squashed into it. :D

IMO i would keep her where she is til she is abit more stable,

Found this on Britax

Move from a Group 0+ to a Group 1 seat when your child can sit up unaided with confidence, exceeds the weight limit, or if their head is higher than the top of the infant carrier

So until she exceeds the weigh or can sit up i would keep her where she is.
But if you want to move her across does your seat have a recline option??
Maybe her reclined in it would be more stable then sitting up option? No expert here lol

But yea i would keep her where she is for now, maybe give it a month to let her get more stable x

Her head isnt higher yet - it's right at the top but not over. She sits 'confidently' but not for 10 mins!!! It does have a recline position though. It think I'll stay with it a bit longer and just get her practicing sitting a bit more. Ta hun x

if it's a first class plus they are rear and forward facing? from birth to 4 years? they have four recline positions? is yours the same?

Are you talking about turning her forward facing? Or still rear facing but a bigger carseat?

No but she was showing me alsorts of Britax ones and with my 'predicament' I'd have thought she might have suggested it instead of being all 'oh no - she needs to be performing unaided triple salco's while reciting latin conjugation before she can even cast an eye over THAT carseat......'

We've just got the bog standard 'Eclipse' :D

I don't know about there but you def can here because the laws here are they have to be atleast 20lbs AND 1yr old before they can face forward. They are called convertible carseat and I would DEF keep her rear facing MUCH MUCH longer, even if it isn't the law there. It's been proven to be so much safer that way. I think it's Sweden..but I could be wrong, they do until like 3-4yrs? Something like that. Here they have changed the recommendation to the limits of your convertible carseat..but haven't changed the law as of yet. Our Britax Marathon goes to 35lbs and 36in rear facing and Hayden at 19mo is still rear facing. Their necks aren't strong enough if you were to get in a crash until atleast 12mo old but the longer they are rear facing the better, it's so much safer for them.

No but she was showing me alsorts of Britax ones and with my 'predicament' I'd have thought she might have suggested it instead of being all 'oh no - she needs to be performing unaided triple salco's while reciting latin conjugation before she can even cast an eye over THAT carseat......'

We've just got the bog standard 'Eclipse' :D

:rofl: I asked in Mothercare and they said I couldn't move Fin into a first class car seat til 9 months and I was like WTF??? I asked at Mamas and Papas and they said that was crap you go on weight. Then I asked via Britax and they said bullshit (well not in so many words). You go on weight. If they're over 9kg they can go forwards. Having said that Fin can sit up unaided for quite a bit? Can she sit up at all? Or does she struggle?

I've just looked on Mothercare's effin website and the First Class is on offer too!!! I'm gonna take it back an stove her swede in with it.

She's 9kg thats a fact but she cant sit for 10 mins on her own Ali - she's almost there but not just quite. :( She knows pythagoras theorem though.....does that make a difference or are we still looking at rear facing at this point....:dohh:

We have this one

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs..._productId_711721_langId_-1_categoryId_165763

you can use it from birth till 4 years, forward and rearward facing:happydance:. When Hebe grows out of it....you can save it for your next one:muaha:

We have this one

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs..._productId_711721_langId_-1_categoryId_165763

you can use it from birth till 4 years, forward and rearward facing:happydance:. When Hebe grows out of it....you can save it for your next one:muaha:

Thats the one I'm gonna make them swap it for!!!!! :happydance:

I dont need it for anymore blasted babies......I cant risk ANOTHER girl.....:hissy:

Was it Crown Point Ali???? I'm gonna hunt her down if it's the same bird....:trouble:

I moved Grace from her baby carseat to a forward facing one when she turned 9 months. She looked a bit squashed and her feet touched the seat in front. But I was told by a few people not to put her in a forward facing one until she was at least 9 months when she could fully support her head and sit up unaided :shrug:

It seems so crazy to me to use those as guidelines lol, guess I'm just not used to it..if we followed the same thing here Hayden and Landon would have been forward facing by 4mo and Casen at 5mo, just seems insane to me lol. But even if their legs were a bit squished it's easier to fix a broken leg than neck even though there has never been a reported case of broken legs in a crash. Just something to think about, not tying to scare anyone, say their are wrong, just giving my opinion because it's not something you can take back you know? If you get in a wreck, it only takes one time...it's a very scary thought. If the weight limit goes higher I would keep her rear facing as long as you can

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->