Cheek biting

A

AppleBlossom

Since I can remember I've always had the habit of biting the loose skin on the inside of my cheeks (gross I know) and for years the dentist has repeatedly told me off saying if I didn't stop I'd end up getting oral cancer. Thing is it's such a bad habit I can't stop and even do it without noticing and only realise when people tell me off. I'm really worried that I really will get cancer if I don't stop but I don't know what to do :(

I do this too!! Dentist has never said anything like that though! x

Same here, and the inside of my lips ... thankfully my dentist has never told me off either. My husband has though.

I honestly wish I could give you advice on how to stop, as I'd give it a try myself. Will keep my eye on this thread and see if it will be of any help in the future.

Hate to say it, I have this horrible habit too. It's a wonder I don't have holes in my cheeks. haha

I'm another one!! Why the hell do we do it??!!

A nervous reaction?

I find I do it more when nervous or stressed.

I mostly do it when sitting behind the computer and leaning on my hand. It pushes my cheeks against my teeth and I automatically start chewing.

Time for more chewing gum I think!

I've always done it - especially when I'm concentrating or nervous about something. I've heard about the oral cancer thing, but I think that will only happen if you're really taking CHUNKS out of your cheeks!

I mostly do it when sitting behind the computer and leaning on my hand. It pushes my cheeks against my teeth and I automatically start chewing.

OMG THATS SO SCARY AS I READ YOUR POST I WAS DOING EXACTLY THAT! LEANING ON MY HAND AND BITING THE INSIDE OF MY MOUTH.

IM A CHEEK BITER TOO. NEVER HEARD OF THE CANCER THING THO.

I just do it without thinking. Mostly when I'm sitting watching tv or something. About the cancer thing, my dentist said that cancer forms when cells start mutating. By bitng your cheeks you're constantly destroying the new skin cells that are starting to form over where the old skin has been removed. In time the cells go a bit crazy and start mutating. I dunno whether this was just a horror story to try and stop me. If it was that was some sick story!

How strange just as i was reading this post of yours its excactly what i was doing leaning on my hand and biting away :(

Yeah the cancer thing is true, I've chewed the inside of my mouth and tongue since I had teeth lol.
Idk how to stop either apart from willpower, I tend to do it when I can't get to sleep or when I'm thinking. Also when I'm stressed or nevous.
Hypnotism? x

I used to do it alot aswell, no idea how i stopped. Think i just grew out of doing it.

I do this too, its a very odd habit, slightly cannibalistic (sp?) don't ya think? :rofl?:

I do this too and tried many times to stop but its become such a habit , my auntie dose this too she said its a nervous reaction but with me i find myself doing it while im relaxed and doing nothing lol

Hence why i wanted to get my tongue pirced but i chickned out lol

I do this also.. and once when I had my teeth worked on and my cheek was numb i chewed on it sooo much I bruised the side of my face cause I couldn't feel it.. I felt really dumb :(

It is the same problem here but my dentist never told me about cancer. I wanna leave this habbit but can't.

i used to do this too but i dont do it any more for some reason , what about chewing gum might help a bit xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->