Chest pain related to breastfeeding?

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

For the past 2 weeks or so I've been experiencing strange chest pain. I've felt heaviness, soreness, and occasional sharp pains. I went to the doctor today and I'm getting some blood work done tomorrow, then a stress test to rule out a risk of a heart attack. Had an EKG and it was normal.

After I left the doctors though.. I massaged around my (left) breast, and it felt really sore around the base of the breast. Since I've been massaging it, some of the pain has dissipated (although the heaviness is still there off and on). The doctor mentioned that it could be something to do with breastfeeding, like a clogged duct, but I hadn't felt any hard spots and she really didn't seem too knowledgeable about lactation in general. She was a new doctor to boot, and both her and her partner were very young (looked about my age!).

So my question is - has anyone had anything like this happen to them while they were breastfeeding? I'm really worried that this may be serious, but I'm trying to stay calm and think of other possibilities.

Thanks in advance. :hugs:

I had this and thought I was getting bronchitis. However it turned out to be mastitis. A week of antibiotics and everything's fine. It might not be the same for you.

Thank you. :hugs: I don't think it's mastitis.. I'm really not sure what it is. :( Since the pain radiates further up into my collar bone it's got me really confused. I don't have a fever or anything, and otherwise I feel perfectly fine. I got the blood work done this morning so hopefully everything comes back normal.

My doctor said to put cold cabbage on it, read this website for more info: https://www.lactationconsultant.info/cabbagecure.html

She also said to make sure that baby is completely draining the breast at each feeding, if your LO is not-- make sure to pump out the leftover milk!!!!!

Hi Leids,
You have described EXACTLY what I've been feeling the last 2 weeks as well...even my left breast with the sharp pains and the heaviness across my whole chest especially heavy towards the middle (cleavage) area. I've had a slight shortness of breath as well (nothing major though) but the problem is that it has been a constant heaviness with the sharp pains that happen throughout the day...the sharp pains are not majorly painful (they are tolerable) but uncomfortable. I also have been breast feeding for the past 10.5 months so I looked up online and found "nipple vasospasms" but I'm not sure if it is that or not. I went to the doctor yesterday hoping they would give me an EKG but they didn't do any tests at all because the doctor told me that what I was describing was "inflammation of the chest" also called "musculoskeletal chest pain": "It is caused by pain in the cartilage and muscles of the rib cage and in the ribs." He said I most likely slept wrong and caused that area to be inflamed. And he told me to take 3 Ibuprofens (600mg) per day for 1 week and if the pain doesn't go away, then I should return.
Have you gotten any other results? Or anymore answers??
It seems as though we have the same thing.
-Rachel.

Hello everyone!

I have been experiencing the same thing. Heaviness in chest (particularly between the breast), some shortness of breath, pain between my shoulder blades, sharp pain in left breast. Has anyone got any satisfactory answers from the doctors. I went to my doctor they did a chest x-ray, and ekg, but thought maybe it was my asthma??? That doesn't sound right to me.

Hi,

My sons 4 months and I've been getting chest pains on and off for varying lengths of time for the last 6 weeks.
Doctor suggests it's anxiety and I have PND. She might be right but I think the chest pains sound just like what you are going through. Does it have a name?

Thanks

Hi! Im new to this group. 6 week postpartum appt tomorrow. I have also been getting these chest strain pains.

I had a back spasm 2 days ago and have numbness or heavyness on my whole left side too So uncomfortable. Being a new mom is crazy. All these different positions your body is in for nursing and pumping and carrying.

I read that alot of musculoskeletal pains are normal and Alot of women get them. It's all been freaking me out and causes anxiety attacks on top of it all The last thing we need. Hang in there ladies.

I know this is an old post but would love to know how these ladies stories turned out! I’ve had 2 ekg’s, a chest X-ray, and a heart ultrasound and no luck thus far. Seen my GP, a cardiologist and a pulmonologist and no one knows what’s wrong with me!!! I have shortness of breath and chest heaviness... any help to this mystery would be amazing! I also called a Lactation consultant who said she doesn’t think it’s breastfeeding related since I’ve been breastfeeding for over a year..... I’m at a dead end

Have you had blood tests to check for anaemia? Hb AND ferritin? Glad they've ruled out more serious things like PE and post partum cardiomyopathy for you

Hi! Im new to this group. 6 week postpartum appt tomorrow. I have also been getting these chest strain pains.

I had a back spasm 2 days ago and have numbness or heavyness on my whole left side too So uncomfortable. Being a new mom is crazy. All these different positions your body is in for nursing and pumping and carrying.

I read that alot of musculoskeletal pains are normal and Alot of women get them. It's all been freaking me out and causes anxiety attacks on top of it all The last thing we need. Hang in there ladies.

Hey I was wondering How you are feeling now? any news on any results? I’m feeling exactly how your felt

I know this is an old post but would love to know how these ladies stories turned out! I’ve had 2 ekg’s, a chest X-ray, and a heart ultrasound and no luck thus far. Seen my GP, a cardiologist and a pulmonologist and no one knows what’s wrong with me!!! I have shortness of breath and chest heaviness... any help to this mystery would be amazing! I also called a Lactation consultant who said she doesn’t think it’s breastfeeding related since I’ve been breastfeeding for over a year..... I’m at a dead end

Any news?

This is an old post and the poster hasn't been on here in a while so you're best starting your own thread for answers :)

Hi ladies,

For the past 2 weeks or so I've been experiencing strange chest pain. I've felt heaviness, soreness, and occasional sharp pains. I went to the doctor today and I'm getting some blood work done tomorrow, then a stress test to rule out a risk of a heart attack. Had an EKG and it was normal.

After I left the doctors though.. I massaged around my (left) breast, and it felt really sore around the base of the breast. Since I've been massaging it, some of the pain has dissipated (although the heaviness is still there off and on). The doctor mentioned that it could be something to do with breastfeeding, like a clogged duct, but I hadn't felt any hard spots and she really didn't seem too knowledgeable about lactation in general. She was a new doctor to boot, and both her and her partner were very young (looked about my age!).

So my question is - has anyone had anything like this happen to them while they were breastfeeding? I'm really worried that this may be serious, but I'm trying to stay calm and think of other possibilities.

Thanks in advance. :hugs:

Hi does anyone know what that is called?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->