Chicken Pox in pregnancy!

lioness168

Mum to 2 beautiful girls
Reaction score
Does anyone here know if getting chicken pox in pregnancy is dangerous to myself or the bubs? DH has just rung me to say he has developed chicken pox during the day today! So who knows how long he has been infectious for prior to develoing his spots.

um im not to sure, i take it you haven't had them before? i would contact your Dr. just in case hun. I wouldn't think it would be any different than the flu but better safe than sorry.

I had a mild case years and years ago, but I know you can get them again. Thanks for your answer :D

yah but i think you build a little bit of immunity, i would defiantly talk to your dr :)

Talk to your doc! You can get shingles (reactivation of your old chicken pox infection) if you get exposed to someone with chicken pox now. But assuming you DID have chicken pox before, it shouldn't be any problem for your baby.

If you didn't have it before, there are some developmental risks for the baby...so you might want to double-check with your doctor. Probably you've had it and will be fine, though!

I was about 18 at the time and only got spots on my torso. Trust poor DH to get chicken pox :D

Lioness check with doc but if you have had it all should be fine.

Yes and you can't catch shingles from chicken pox it is the other way around! Ihad bad shingles last year and was told to stay away from people who had not had CP. Shingles is a reactivation of the dormant CP virus which stays in your nervous system from when you had CP. It gets reactivated in some people due to stress or other illness and follows one nerve path so you only get the blisters in an isolated area. With me it was from my spine all the way round one side under my boob! Nasty!

Theres some good info on the NHS website about chicken pox, shingles and pregnancy if you wanna have a look. I would contact your doc too just to be on teh safe side

Yes I used to work at a nursary and had to leave when I got pregnant because a lot of the children where getting chicken pox and even though I had it when I was little
when your early pregnant it can be very dangerous for bubs my doc said . X

There was a woman in my line of work who had shingles. [Different to chicken pox I know!]
The doctor told me to steer clear, even though the risk is little there is still a risk there!
Speak to your doctor and see what he says :) xx

The doctor can test you to see if you already have the antibodies, and if not, he may want to give you the man-made antibodies to protect you.

And the posters who say you can't catch shingles from Chicken Pox are right, and shingles would be a lot worse...I'm sure you'll be ok since you've been exposed before :)

Thank you girls for all your responses. DH had his bloods taken yesterday and they also swabbed the spots to make sure they are or are not chicken pox. DH slept on the lounge last night as he doesn't want to take any chances. SO hopefully we will have some answers this afternoon.

my mum had chicken pox when she was pregnany with me, im fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->