Chicken pox or allergic reaction?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by lauraemily17, Oct 9, 2013.

1. lauraemily17

lauraemily17 Mummy to 2 boys

Looking for some advice from anyone who's lo has had chicken pox.

My lo hasn't been well for a few days now. Temperature, off his food, generally not himself & very grumpy & clingy. An infection of his foreskin was diagnosed yesterday and he's now on anti biotics. We put all his symptoms down to his infection.

Today, he woke up with a couple of angry looking spots by his mouth, they were only mild yesterday, looking just like teething spots that he gets quite a bit. There was no other spots.

Within a few hours he is now covered in spots! I can almost watch them spread over his body! They start out looking like little red pin prick spots but are getting bigger.

I'm not sure if it's chicken pox or an allergic reaction to the anti biotics. They don't appear to be itchy.

Here's some pics.

On his bottom
    https://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa415/lauraemily17/8BFADD96-5658-4F13-A9DA-A1E91EDEF665-905-000000C25E45A467_zpse224bb21.jpg

Legs
    https://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa415/lauraemily17/8230DE8D-3D02-4988-988E-9A80AFDAB764-905-000000C264288E75_zps8b6d2c4d.jpg

Face
    https://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa415/lauraemily17/F71AE1DF-5266-4EBB-972A-8DFAD4054B81-905-000000C269A48BD1_zpsb2997eea.jpg

2. Itsychik

Itsychik Well-Known Member

Those spots look like chicken pox to me (it's how the ones on my DS started when he got them), although the ones on my DS started on his back/neck and then spread. It's also common to be a bit sick/poorly a few days before the spots show, although it's difficult to know whether that could be from the potential-chicken pox or from the infection.

I don't have any experience with allergic reactions though so I can't make a comparison.

Maybe, if possible, keep your LO in for the rest of the day and see if any of the spots spread or start to get bigger? On my DS within a day he had some spots which were already starting to blister/bubble, so it was a clear indication to us of what it was.

Hope your DS feels better soon :flower:

ETA: My DS never really had problems with the 'itching' of the spots (he was 21 months old). But they were definitely the WORST in his diaper area, literally covering his bits and in between his little bottom cheeks, so that might be a good area to keep an eye on for spots/blisters.

3. binxyboo

binxyboo Well-Known Member

They look a bit poxy to me.

Scratch one, and then wipe your finger in a spot free area - if it spreads to that area - it usually means it's the pox.

4. lauraemily17

lauraemily17 Mummy to 2 boys

Thanks for the advice ladies, I was quite convinced he'd wake up this morning covered in pox! He didn't, instead they're starting to turn into ulcers, it turns out it's actually hand, foot and mouth!!