Chicken pox vaccination

a_c

mummy to one
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on whether to go private & pay for this or not?

I don't see the point in vaccinating against chicken pox, unless your LO has any health problems that means catching it could make them very ill, if your LO had severe excema or if your LO spent alot of time around someone with a low immune system i.e as they had a serious illness like cancer. x

I am 29 and never had CP.
Our son almost 7yrs has never had it even though it went through the school like the plague and LO, nearly 10mths has avoided it too.
I was very worried when I was pregnant last spring because it was rife at his school and the MW's were concerned if I caught it and my GP was angry (!!!!) that I hadn't considered a vaccination BEFORE I fell pregnant (I didn't know there was one in this country).
In children CP is quite mild - it looks worse than it really is and although uncomfortable and a few sleepless nights it is classed as one of the more normal childhood illnesses. It is worse in adults that haven't had it and I def don't want to catch it now.
That said, I wouldn't vaccinate my two against it. I am not anti vaccination and I agree that the usual jabs must be done but for something which is deemed quite mild I wouldn't be putting a needle in them.
As smelly07 says if LO spends a lot of time around someone with a weakened immune system it might be worth a chat with the GP x

I wouldn't, chicken pox is one of those things that most kids get! Unless they have an illness or spend a lot of time with someone who has reduce immune system I'd just let nature take it's course, it's mild in children xx

It's optional here. My SIL vaccinated all 3 of her children from CP even though the kids will get shingles / mild chicken pox after vaccination.

I'm opting out of it because would rather LO get chicken pox and be entirely immune from it without shingles.

It's really up to you at the end of the day.

I wouldnt. If they get when theyre young, its not such a big deal.

I don't really know much about the vaccination, but wouldn't it be better so they wouldn't get any scars?

I think it's great they have a vaccine now. They offer it as part of the regular vaccinations here. I got my son vaccinated for it at his 12 month appointment.
It really reduces the risk of your child getting the chicken pox by a lot and if you get the booster shot when they are older (around 4-6 yrs) it reduces their chances even more. They may still get it, but if they do it will be a really mild case. I'd much rather vaccinate and hopefully prevent my child from having to experience the disease than send him around to sick kids houses to catch it young, so he's not at risk when he's older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"