Chickenpox exposure

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by sallymuffin, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sallymuffin

sallymuffin Well-Known Member

I went to a childrens party last weekend, and got told today that 2 of the children there got chickenpox a couple of days later. Do you think that this is anything to worry about (I know there's not a lot I can do about it anyway, just curious)? I'm one of those people that disproves the theory that you can only get chickenpox once as I have already had it 4 times in my life (2 as a child, 1 as a teenager and 1 in my late 20's) - not sure if this is relevant.

2. stouffer

stouffer Well-Known Member

I'd phone your midwife to see and mention that you've had it a few times, just in case.
    Did they check for immunity at your booking appointment?

3. hulahoop09

hulahoop09 Mum to lg and pg #2

Was it wkend gone or one before? If it was latter i wouldnt worry too much if you havent broken out yet. I have had chickenpox twice and manager recently had shingles but i have been ok. Its apoaranrly more dangerous late in pregnancy. Xx

4. Lau88

Lau88 Well-Known Member

My nephew had it early in my pregnancy. I've only had it once so I'm not sure if it'd be the same for u but my gp said as long as uve had it then not to worry and baby should be fine.

5. sallymuffin

sallymuffin Well-Known Member

It was the weekend before the one just gone. Baby is still as active as ever, I think that it's probably OK as I've not had anything come out on me but I might give MW a quick ring to be sure.

6. claire23

claire23 Well-Known Member

Hi hun, I also lost my immunity to chicken pox, so have to be very careful now. I did come into contact with someone who had shingles and GP insisted on me having zoster immunoglobulins to booster immunity and prevent severity of the infection (although I didnt catch in the end). If you do get chicken pox they may prescribe you antiviral drug acyclovir. The incubation period (before spots appear) is 10-12 days, so if you dont have spots by now, you will probably be ok. The most dangerous period is after 36 weeks as the baby can get chicken pox then, otherwise the risk to the baby is minimal at this stage of pregnancy. xxx

7. claire23

claire23 Well-Known Member

Oh and if you want to put your mind at rest, ask GP to do a blood test to check whether you have immunity to chicken pox. xx

8. heather91

heather91 Preggers with 2nd

My daughter has chicken.pox and I've never had it. Mw tested my immunity to it today,have to wait til Thurs to know the results. Im pretty sure I have it tho. Ill let you know how it goes! X