chickenpox

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by marie_g, Apr 24, 2009.

1. marie_g

marie_g Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm so worried. I work at a nursery and a few weeks ago a boy came down with chickenpox who I work closely with. Since then around 5 children have been off with it. I though i'd had it when i was young but my mam isnt so sure!!!!!!!! then i did some reading and it says it aint good for me or the baby....anyone got any advice???

Should I ring the hospital tomorrow or wait till monday??

Thanks

M x

2. K477uk

K477uk Mum of One!

A friend of mine hadn't had chicken pox, and had no immunity (although her brother had had it when he was young, and she was around him!) she had already been given a blood test, along with the rubella one, and when a child at school got chickenpox she was given a jab. If you are not sure I would try and contact your mw and get some advice from them!

3. Armywife

Armywife Mummy to 2 beauties

Hiya, i am at home sick with Shingles at the moment which means i definately have immunity to chickenpox however i was given a varicella zoster immune globulin injection on wednesday at the hospital just to be on the safe side. The pregnant woman i sit next to had to have a blood test after i was diagnosed to check her immunity and if she isn't immune will have to have the same jab. You defo have to let mw know you have been in contact with it though. Injection isn't nice but is worth it to keep baby safe. Try not to worry too much and keep us updated. Big hugs x x x x x x x

4. babycakes76

babycakes76 Well-Known Member

When the midwife took your blood (at booking appointment) one of the test would have been chicken pox immunity....did you have it?

It isn't good for you or buba to be around those with CP, i would phone your midwife/maternity unit for advice.

Best to be safe than sorry x

5. 10thSept

10thSept Mummy to one

even if you haven't had it, there is a high chance you are immune - I would get yourself to a midwife and get it all confirmed - you never know, you might get a couple of days off work! I think the whole chickenpox thing is most dangerous in the 1st tri anyway.
    Good luck hun!
    xx

6. AP

AP Well-Known Member

I was the same, wasnt 100% sure i had it, but turns out I did, but they just did a simple blood test the other week there just to check.

7. marie_g

marie_g Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone

I rang the midwife this morning and I had to go for a blood test, just got to wait for the results I guess. I'm going to still have to go into work though - fingers crossed that i've already had it.
    My arm is killing off the blood test -it's all swollen. I got a bounty pack though with free wipes, fabric conditioner and washing powder - so that cheered me up!!

M x

8. amylw1

amylw1 my 3 boys in avatar. x

my 3yr old has just got over it, i rang my docs straight away because i knew it oculd be harmful to baby. docs told me that as long as i had had it there wasnt a concern. they can do a blood test to see if your immune if not they can give you an injection or something.

if worried ring your doc.