Chickenpox

saraaa

Mum of 1 and growing 1 😊
Reaction score
My son was playing with someone with chickenpox last Tuesday. Obviously I didn't know I was pregnant then, after looking on the NHS website it says you should be fine if you had it as a child... which I did.
Do I need to call my gp? I was googling and some people had to have blood tests to see if they were immune to it. Just a bit worried about the complications and abnormalities it can cause to my baby.

When my friend was pregnant her daughter got chicken pox, my friend had it when was younger but she rang her GP for advice, so that's what I would do

If you had it as a child you should be alright, but I would still call your doctor to confirm. If it were me I would request the blood test to check my immunity, but I'm a worry wart!

Thanks ladies, he hasn't caught it yet! But we were all in the same room for the afternoon x

My blood test reveal I don't have immunity to chickenpox. I never had it as a child. My doctor told me to ensure I don't get it. It's abit crazy being around people and wondering who has chickenpox. Wish I knew this before I got pregnant, I would have gotten the vaccine.

The NHS website says

"What if I have had chickenpox?

If you've already had chickenpox, it's extremely unlikely that you will get it again. However women who have come into contact with someone with chickenpox or shingles should see their GP if a rash develops.
Read the answers to more questions about pregnancy."

I might call NHS direct and ask as it takes so long to get through to my doctors, I would have been 3 weeks pregnant then so I don't know if it'll make much difference, just want to be prepared for it my son has caught them

Saraaa I don't think you have anything to worry about. You already have antibodies for it and you can't catch it twice. I'm in the US and I wasn't given much information for it other than being told I'm not immune. But thank you for mentioning about shingle my uncle has shingles. I didn't know I needed to stay away from that too. Definitely won't be visiting anytime soon.

So I have a history of cold sore (the one that shows up around the lip) but I could have sworn that I read that the cold sore virus, shingles virus and chickenpox all share the same strain of virus...maybe I misunderstood what I read cause my doctor is well aware I have cold sore and didn't say i'm covered for chickenpox....sad

You likely have nothing to worry about. However, it's always good to have everything in your file so I would personally call my gp just to let them know. That way if anything were to come up they have all the info on hand.

But you're probably fine!

My mum had really bad chickenpox when she was 6 months with me, and I'm fine, it's just meant that I am immune without having chickenpox XD

I gave my mom chicken pox when I was a kid. She had it when she was a kid, too. I think she managed to get it again as a diabetic because her immune system isn't as great as that of someone without diabetes. Your risks are extremely low. I am not concerned about my kids getting chicken pox, even if I'm pregnant. My prenatal bloodwork shows that I'm immune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->