Chickenpox

Tacey

Reaction score
Does anyone know if exposure to chickenpox is an issue if I've already had it? I know you can get shingles after having chickenpox before, could that be damaging to the baby too?

I saw a friend on Wednesday whose little boy was very unhappy. She thought it was teething, but he developed a rash yesterday, and the doctor thought it could be chickenpox although wasn't certain. My daughter has never had it, so I'm a little concerned that if she gets it, I'll have even greater exposure. Any experiences or advice?

You cant get shingles from being around someone with chicken pox, its the other way, you can catch chicken pox from someone who has shingles if you havent already had it. Once you've had chicken pox it never truly leaves your body, it lives in your nervous system and can flare up when you're very run down and you develop shingles. Both you and baby are safe around chicken pox as you've had it before xx

You cant get shingles from being around someone with chicken pox, its the other way, you can catch chicken pox from someone who has shingles if you havent already had it. Once you've had chicken pox it never truly leaves your body, it lives in your nervous system and can flare up when you're very run down and you develop shingles. Both you and baby are safe around chicken pox as you've had it before xx

Excellent! That's just what I wanted to hear, thank you! :thumbup:

I was getting a bit worried about how I was going to look after Alice otherwise.

My son and my daughter both had chickenpox during this pregnancy, seeing as I had chickenpox as a child my doctor said all was fine

if the little one had chickenpox your daughter will in all likelyhood get it take her to the doc at the first sign of the rash as they can give her medication to make her more comfortable and keep the outbreak to minimum

If you have been in contact, I would still ask your doctor or midwife to run a Vz (Varicella zoster - chicken pox name) antibody screen.

Some people do not get full immunity and a quick blood test will assure you all is fine. If you are not immune, they can organise to give you Vz immunoglobulin that will give you immunity, needs to be given asap though.

I never had chicken pox as a child, and my 3 year old niece developed them back along and I was around her and in contact with her within the time she got it - I never got it and our baby is fine. I went to the midwife and she took a blood test to see if there was a possibility I could get it but nope - all good :) Midwife says it more dangerous if you are in the last trimester as it could cause problems for the baby though so glad I'm not that far a long yet. Think it differs with all people xx

I actually broke out in chicken pox while I was pregnant with my 8 year old and I mean baaadddd it was all over my body and I mean all over and just so happened to be the same weekend as my baby shower. I went to the hospital ( I was 18 hours away visiting my parents) and she was throwing my shower. Well anyways everything was perfectly fine, doc did an u/s and he was perfect and still is:) On top of that I had also got fifth disease which has not symptoms for any adults. ( i was babysitting some kids and they got it, the parents told me so I called the doc) They did a blood test and confirmed it. It can be fatal to an unborn fetus soooo I had to have an ultrasound every week for the last 3 months of my pregnancy to make sure everything was fine which it was:)

I've heard so many mixed opinions on this, So I figured this might help..

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/chickenpox/

My Son had it right around the time I found out I was pregnant, doctor assured me as I'd had it when I was younger I would be fine

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->