Childcare

Blondie2008

Mum to the amazing Bethan
Reaction score
I am just filling out a form in work to get my baby's name on the waiting list for the Playcentre where both me and my husband work.

I just cant get over the cost. Its £135 a week. I hope to come back part time and so only have to pay for 3 days but it'll still take a huge chunk out of my part time wage!

Its terrible! How do people afford to have more than 1 child!!

Sorry - no point to the post. Just a bit of a rant.

Blondie xx

I know how you feel, I'm hoping that between our parents we will have a lot of the time covered but it is absolutely ridiculous. My sister is actually a nursery nurse but her nursery don't offer any discount to family members so thats no help!!:hissy:

I actually can't afford to go back to work after Theakston is born because if I did it would cost us £170 a week in childcare! I currently bring home about £960 a month after tax so after childcare I'd be bringing home £280 a month which in my opinion just isn't worth a 37hour week and not seeing my child! Instead I'm going to look into getting a night job at a supermarket or the airport as they pay £8 an hour so I'd only have to do 3 or 4 nights to bring home the same as maternity pay.

Well i thought that we would get some discount since my husband and i both work within the place where the Playcentre is but its only £2 cheaper a day for us than for members of the public.

Oh well. Baby is on the waiting list and we can decide what to do closer to the time!

hate to say it but if that is for full days then i would say that is really reasonable! i have worked in childcare for a long time and a lot of nurseries will charge a lot more than that for 3 full days for a baby.

i do know what you mean tho, it is a huge chunk of your paycheck, and i always wondered how parents with 2 or 3 chidlren at nursery managed and quite often why they bothered cos most if not all or more of their wages must have been going to the nursery.

Yeah i have been told that the cost isnt too bad compared to other places and so i'm glad about that. I really dont want to have to give up work and we decided to start a family so i should prob stop moaning!! lol!

xx

I am just filling out a form in work to get my baby's name on the waiting list for the Playcentre where both me and my husband work.

I just cant get over the cost. Its £135 a week. I hope to come back part time and so only have to pay for 3 days but it'll still take a huge chunk out of my part time wage!

Its terrible! How do people afford to have more than 1 child!!

Sorry - no point to the post. Just a bit of a rant.

Blondie xx

I know its wild, I am a childminder and social services rang me last week to take 2 kids full time and they were £130 a week each x

I am lucky in that my sister will be our childcare; she doesn't work and my nephew is only in nursery (pre school) part time so its not worth her working at the moment.

We couldn't afford to pay for childcare to be honest.

Cx

that is the reason why I more than likely will not go back to work till baby is at school. A 40hr week, to bring home just baout 300 a month isnt worth it and not fair on the baby. My parents cant help out at all as mu mis ill and dad works offshore, and oh's mum is 100 miles away.
I can get the childcare vouchers, but only up to 243 a month, OH can get the same IF he manages to get his work to sign up to the scheme.

I don't know what that converts to, but for most of last year I paid $175.00 a week for my son. His new dayhome now is about $154.00 a week. When this one is born and I go back to work we are expecting to pay around $1000 - $1300 a month. It's pretty crazy!

The child care element of child tax credits helps with childcare of our british mums. Over here I pay 4.50e an hour for child care and when I go back to work 15 hrs a week I will be earning about 8 an hour. But I can calim child care tax credits so I wont be spending too much on child care.

In London I'll be paying over £800 a month but what really worries me is the hours. Nurseries close at 6pm and charge £1 a minute for each minute that you are late! I work in advertising and even if I could leave at 5.30 on the dot there is no way I could get back in half an hour to pick my baby up. Because I got made redundant when I do go back it will be to a new job so I won't even have any grounds to negotiate part time or flexi time. The industry isn't known for it's empathy towards mums..... I'm petrified at the moment but we can't live on my OH's salary.
Can't wait until she is born so I won't have time to worry about such things until I need to!!

Hx

I actually can't afford to go back to work after Theakston is born because if I did it would cost us £170 a week in childcare! I currently bring home about £960 a month after tax so after childcare I'd be bringing home £280 a month which in my opinion just isn't worth a 37hour week and not seeing my child! Instead I'm going to look into getting a night job at a supermarket or the airport as they pay £8 an hour so I'd only have to do 3 or 4 nights to bring home the same as maternity pay.

We worked out childcare costs and came out wth simular figures for partners wages. My work has a scheme where you can buy childcare vouchers and this is deducted from salary before NI and tax, so you get it tax free. We looked at childcare tax credits and didnt seem to make a great difference to the cost.
Mother in law offered to look after baby between herself and his grandma, but with the cleanliness of her house and stories ive heard from when his lill sis was a baby (left in dirty nappies so long she smeared it all over wall and herself) i wont be taking her up. I can also fore see her passing the baby onto his grandma all the time and she's not upto looking after it full time.
The best option we've worked out is for OH to take on the childcare full time and look at him finding work part time and nurserys when babies 3. Fortunately i'll be moving up pay scale when i return from mat leave and we should be able to afford it (fx).

I am really lucky as my mum is a registered childminder and already has my son for free, she will be having this one too although is still refusing to take any money for it!! I am the total opposite to you guys as I am trying to pay something more!!

In all fairness tho I think the amount you are paying is ridiculous and I would try and find a local childminder as I have found them much cheaper than nurseries in my area!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->