Childminders

Mummy May

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Have you used one? What are your experiences? I'm probably going to have to use one for my son and ATM I'm feeling a bit wary xx

Ive not used one i send my kids to a nursery. If they are fully qualified i wouldnt be worried.

I'm so fussy when it comes to things like this. Due to my job (social worker) I am so wary of everybody! Nobody cares for my kiddies unless its my mum or sisters. If they're not available, then they stay with me or DH. Am I over-protective? Probably lol

I do however know many fabulous childminders through my work and know a lot of people would be lost without them. Childcare outside the family just isn't for me though

DS was with a childminder for a month last summer, he'd juts turned 1. I was beyond nervous but it was fine :). DS was always happy when he saw her and happy when he came back. I had a couple of visits to the childminders home before he started going with her and that put me at ease.

I'm not sure it's for me either. My daughter is in a fabulous nursery but they can only squeeze my son in for one afternoon a week and I need two so have contacted a childminder but I'm really not sure if I like the idea. Also, it's not just about them being qualified, they have to be nice and if I didn't like her it would be a no go. Xx

DS was with a childminder for a month last summer, he'd juts turned 1. I was beyond nervous but it was fine :). DS was always happy when he saw her and happy when he came back. I had a couple of visits to the childminders home before he started going with her and that put me at ease.

It's my little boy lol I feel now like you did then xx

It's really a case of individuals.
Childminders are offstead inspected in the Uk in the same way as nursey's.
I am an ex childminder and Over the years have witnessed good and bad practice and really it all depends on what you are looking for in a care provider.
I was a childminder who chose to run my operation like a nursery with a very child centred structured day. I didn't do my own chores or shopping etc when minding children. It's personallly something I think means the child gets a better deal. After all, I am paid to look after the child.
I know that others look on it as though the child is just part of their family and that therefore going shopping and doing house work around the child is part of family life.
You need to be very comfortable with the environment your child is in, with the person giving the care, with the style of care given and the other children in the situation too. It's best to visit at a time when other children are there too so that you can see the childminder in action. What sort of play are the children engaged in? is the environment incredibly tidy and unchild friendly. It's also good to ask for other parents to talk to. My mums were all happy for me to give their contact details so that they could discuss the care I was giving to potential new clients.
Contracts, information sheets, properly written bills and receipts are all important and show a professionalism.
At the end of the day you have to be happy.

Thanks Creative, that's really helpful. I wouldn't expect them to be shopping or doing chores whilst my children were in wireless care that's for sure xx

Thanks Creative, that's really helpful. I wouldn't expect them to be shopping or doing chores whilst my children were in wireless care that's for sure xx

That's the sort of thing you can ask when you meet up. I only developed my thinking when I met my first client who said that she was looking for really child centred care. I kept that ethos and it meant that my books were always full and I also had waiting lists. If I take up minding again after this baby is born then I shall follow the same programme. Lots of crafts, cooking, outside and inside play and I also used a notebook to transfer details of all the activities the child had done during the day, dirty nappies, food eaten etc. Lots of work for me, but a lot of satisfaction at the service I provided.

We used a CM for 3 years and have not one regret! Even now after 7 months Ellis still asks to see them! Not once did we have to seek alternative care because they were ill and we always got at least a years notice if holidays. It was a couple with grown up children with 30 years experience and they had a range of children of different ages. They took Ellis swimming, regular toddler groups, to the zoo, soft play, trips to town - coffee shops and small shops, not proper weekly shopping but this was a great learning experience for him! We got regular EYFS updates, pictures, observations etc. He always came home with stuff he'd made or drawn.

Nurseries weren't for us, the ones here were expensive and alot of my friends complained that their LO's key workers kept changing or leaving and other complaints too like playing in the rain with no coats on, no flexiablilty with routine etc whereas Ellis was able to nap in his own time, same with eating. That said, there are good and bad with every option and you need to investigate thoroughly.

My nursery have just reccommended another CM to me so I think I may ring her too, nothing wrong with keeping my options open huh! Xx

Deffo go to a few, you will get a feel for them and your instincts will let you know if they are the right place for your LO's and you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->