Chrismas/New Year's Babies & Birthdays

LauraLu

Reaction score
Hi all!

I simply cannot believe that my little man will be a YEAR old so soon!!! Good grief, time sure does fly!

Anyway, this question is for those of you who have birthdays around Christmas and New Year's. Our son's birthday is January 3rd...I really want him to have good memories of his birthday. I have heard so many stories of people getting "looked over" because their birthday is so close to Christmas. My mom's birthday is Dec. 6th, and she said people sometimes forgot because they were too into Christmas at the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it extra special? Any fun memories of your own birthday (if you were also born around this time)?

Thanks a bunch!

My son was born on Jan 10th and I definitely go the extra mile for his birthdays. You will find though with the 1st your son will be happy with a big helium balloon, family, and some tasty cake to get his face messy with.

Later on, it is just important to save money through the holidays to ensure your little guy gets a proper party. My brother was born on the 2nd of January, and admittedly... my parents never gave him the same all out birthdays my other brother and I got because they were broke after the holidays.

This year my son is turning 6 and we have Batman and the Joker coming to entertain his friends as well as a set of face-painters! I always make sure I have a ton of balloons and a really great cake, I also make sure I give him the same presents I would if his birthday was months away from Christmas.

I keep energetic and don't let myself talk about the holidays or being burnt out. His day is HIS day.

...and yeah, I know I am crazy for having my son's birthday stuff booked already, but I am paranoid about leaving things to the last minute. lol. I'm also a certified event planner, so I get a bit OCD.

Good luck!

You could end Christmas a bit earlier in your house and make sure all decorations etc. are down? It's my birthday today, so Christmas is in full swing in the shops and out and about, but it doesn't start for us until tomorrow. It's been slightly different this year with having my LO, but there's still no real mention of Christmas and certainly no decorations and the like until my birthday is over. Similarly, my mum's is on 16th January and everything had to be done and dusted before then.

Could maybe be nice (once he's older and understands) so have New Years Day and then 2nd January is the day you take all Christmas things down ready for his birthday - would very much be about HIS day then.

You could end Christmas a bit earlier in your house and make sure all decorations etc. are down? It's my birthday today, so Christmas is in full swing in the shops and out and about, but it doesn't start for us until tomorrow. It's been slightly different this year with having my LO, but there's still no real mention of Christmas and certainly no decorations and the like until my birthday is over. Similarly, my mum's is on 16th January and everything had to be done and dusted before then.

Could maybe be nice (once he's older and understands) so have New Years Day and then 2nd January is the day you take all Christmas things down ready for his birthday - would very much be about HIS day then.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :flower:

I love the idea about taking down all Christmas decorations on Jan. 2nd...It will give him the opportunity to really get excited about his day! Thank you!

My due date is Dec 25th, and I've already planned a half-birthday type of thing. I get stories from people all the time about how their birthdays were skipped over or how they got fewer gifts or less attention.

I think a summer birthday party is a lot more fun than a winter party too. Most people are with their own families/out of town during the holidays, so it wouldn't be easy for little friends to come over. Yep.. Half birthdays will be celebrated as real birthdays. I don't care who thinks it's silly :p

You could try to make sure you give him a fun experience for his birthdays instead of a big pile of presents to pile on top of his Christmas stuff. Things like going to some kind of amusement park, trip to the beach etc.
I don't know from experience of having a birthday close to Christmas, but if you make it more about having a really special day it may not matter so much about the presents?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :flower:

I love the idea about taking down all Christmas decorations on Jan. 2nd...It will give him the opportunity to really get excited about his day! Thank you!

You're very welcome. I'm sure he'll be suitable excited about running all over the house! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->