• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Christening advice please?

Amber4

Reaction score
So I didn't have any plans to get LO christened as I am not and neither is OH. I have been thinking about it and would like maybe to have a naming ceremony? I like the idea of her being blessed. OH Dad really wants ger christened so perhaps a compromise? I'm just wondering if this is possible as we don't go to church reguarly and we don't actively follow a religion. Would I need to contact the church and speak to a vicar? Tbh I have no idea as never considered it until now.

Thanks xx

We got Holly christened on Sunday and it was by the same vicar who married me and hubby. Originally we had contacted her by email about the wedding, just left our number and she phoned us back. Some churches can be quite strict and will only christen your baby if you go to their church regularly, but other churches will be happy to christen your baby. Probably best to just contact the church you want and ask if they will be prepared to christen your baby. But only do it if you and your OH want to though, don't feel pressured into it by family :flower:

I've christened both of my boys and I'm a single Mum, usually without both parents they won't Christen them, and I don't attend a church and I'm not religious, but I was Christened as a baby, but they were fine with mine. My oldest had the same vicar that christened me but he couldn't do my youngests as he moved away but he got a friend of his to. It didn't cost us anything (we're all christened Methodist) they just asked for a donation but we donated £50 and then the rest of the guest donated too. I'd just email them explain you and OH aren't christened but want your LO, most of them won't mind they like welcoming babies, I get a card for easter christmas and birthdays but they never pressure me to go down, but others can be a little old fashioned about it, and ask them how much they charge. Some will some just want donations :) x

i had LO chistened a few weeks ago.
i have been christened but never really been to church except when we had to at school..

i paid nothing for the service but gave a donation & so did all the guests i think. xx

Okay thank you! I am thinking of inviting about 25 people perhaps upto 30. Is that too many for a small church? X

i had 29 guests in our small church.
the christening was with the sunday service so there was about 8 other there we didnt know. xx

You really should contact a church and speak to them, as every church is different. We had my LO christened, but the only reason we could was because his Dad was christened. Although we never actively go to church. I've never been christened, and she did try to convert me! Haha. It was free of charge - besides donations of course. Then there's the lovely party afterrwards <3. His church do offer naming ceremonys and 'thanksgiving' ceremonys for babys in the church.. which is a compromise which allows them to actually have the water on the head later. x

That sounds fine. I had around 35 at ours :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"