Christmas Stocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetcheeks85

Reaction score
Can someone explain the tradition please :dohh: Never had one as a kid but think I would like to introduce it in our family. What do you put in them and when do u hang them up etc? x

We'll be hanging ours up when we put our decorations up and were just filling ours with basic things, new toothbrush, new dummies etc. But most people fill them the smaller presents like books, dvds, teddies etc.

Quite basically you can put whatever you like in them :)

We hang the empty stockings up on Christmas eve before bed and Santa has filled them by the time the boys get up in the morning. We put things like small toys, bouncy balls, cup, cars, crayons etc in them.

We put ours on the end of our bed on Christmas eve and we used to open them on bed. We always had a apple orang gold coins and chewing gum then they would be toys socks knickers bath bombs and things like that depending on how old we was and there was always a Christmas teddy on the top were going to do the same with lo and I make oh one to x

Thank ladies :thumbup: Another quick Q Do use tell ure LO that all the toys they recieve r from santa or just the ones in the stocking? x

My tradition is a little bit different than most.

When I grew up we have a stocking we would hang on our bedroom door every night before bed. My mum would fill it with chocolates/sweets a banana and an orange when I was asleep. So my stockings were just full of sweets.

I like this idea so I will be carrying it on with Callum (he won't be allowed it all at once though obviously! :rofl:) but I also like the idea of a present stocking so I will be doing both. He will have 2 stockings.

Because he is still very young I plan on putting this stockings on his bed (hopefully he will have his toddler bed by christmas) but when he is older I will put them on the door.

In his sweetie stocking he will have things like chocolate coins, those little mini chocolates you get like in the quality street tins etc, chocolate buttons...

In his toy stocking he will have bubbles, mini pocket library books, small cars...

Oh and all the toys under the tree are from Santa in this house, the stockings are from Mummy and Daddy :winkwink: x

We always had santa sacks (alot larger than the stockings you hang up) and basically every present apart from our main one went into them. This meant there were bigger presents, small presents, clothes, pjs, slippers etc and then unwrapped in them we would have selection boxes and fruit. This is how we do it for our girls too. :)

stockings and 1 main presents from santa everything else is from us or whoever bought it.

In our house the stockings go up with the Christmas decorations (because they are so darn cute!). We fill them with mostly candy, but a few little toys as well. My teenagers will usually get a book or dvd in them and my little ones will usually get a coloring book and stuffed animal.
The stockings are from Santa, (although we don't really talk about Santa too much, I want my children to know that everything comes from God. The people who gave the gifts are his willing vessels) all the packages under the tree say from God.
My parents all send me money before Christmas so I can go Christmas shopping and we add in what money of our own we can. So all the gifts are really "from" all of us, but God is the provider so we praise Him for everything.
My children do call my parents to tell them everything they got and thank them for contributing. My parents love being able to get them what they want without having to do the shopping and then shipping it. It works out well.

When I was growing up stockings were hung up on the fireplace when all the xmas decorations were put up. It usually had an orange, chocolate coins, some sweets and a couple of small presents like colouring pens, a purse or a teddy.

OH and I have decided though that we will put little ones stocking at the bottom of her bed. She's only going to be 4 months at xmas so hers will include a buggy book, some xmas bibs, a teether and probably an orange and chocolate coins as they are sentimental to me and I couldn't imagine a stocking without them.

Stocking for me was from Santa. It would be put at the end of my bed Christmas eve and then when I woke up at about 3am it would be full with little presents and some chocolate coins. I would play with those for a little while and then go back to sleep for a few hours then drag everyone up to open the family presents under the tree :lol:
Stocking weren't ever the main presents for me because my mum didn't want Santa having all the credit :haha:

Stockings will be from Santa and all toys from Santa under the tree and a few other gifts from us.

Colin's stocking will have:

Santa chocolate
Wheelie cars
Thomas wooden trains
Chuck and friends cars
Stickers
Some bath toys

I can't remember what else! :blush:

Stocking will be from Santa although she will be too young to know at the moment.

We always hung stocking by fireplace and would get socks, chocolate coins, satsuma, nuts and maybe another little pressie in them.

Am putting in Poppy's - socks, book and teether and maybe a christmas bib.

This year we are doing stockings on Christmas Eve. I have some candies ready, will maybe add a can of pop (I remember I felt SO special getting a can of pop all to myself in my stocking). I'm going to get some small bath toys for LO, since he needs some new ones anyways :)

In our house the stocking are hung up by the fireplace with the christmas dec's, tho Alfie's will be hung up on the wall as its buge & also an advent calender.

Then christmas eve the stocking is taken to bed & hung in the bedroom & father christmas fills it with small gifts & treats.

When we were younger, my two sisters & my brother & me would all pile in to my mum & dad's room at 7am & open all the stocking gifts. We would always have an apple & an orange in the bottom. I hope to continue these traditions with my own children.

in Alfie's sock this year he has:

Tomy hide & squeek eggs
FP Pound & giggle hammer
rain maker
water wand
2 books
a sensory ball
2 cars

We put ours under the tree when we put the decorations up! And we fill it up with choccies :xmas12:

Oh and for some reason an orange and a apple at the bottom, but thats only because my mum did it when i was little!

xx

i'm still undecided re: stockings - when i was little we didn't have them, but we put anempty pillow case on the end of our beds, which santa filled with a few of our presents. we weren't allowed to open them until we all got up, though, and we took them downstairs.

i think i like the idea of having the stocking with a few small presents / sweets to bring into our room and open together in bed, but i'm a little worried about putting it in his room. for one thing i'm worried he'd wake up, and also i used to know a little girl who was terrified of santa because he was a stranger who was going to come into her room at night while she was asleep. i know he's too young for those things to be an issue now, but i'm thinking ahead.

my other idea is to get a sack, in which we will put all but the biggest presents. but then that's like saying the presents are all from santa, as he puts them in the sack, and i want only the stocking, and maybe one present to be from santa - i much prefer the idea that christmas is a time when people give presents to their loved ones, so i want him to know who everything is from.

hmm, i think stocking for little things, and everything else under the tree. just need to get him a stocking now!

shambaby, if you're scared of waking LO then get 2 stockings the same and just quickly switch them so you don't have to faff about filling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"