church

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by tinkerbel, Jan 23, 2011.

1. tinkerbel

tinkerbel Well-Known Member

hi
    i have started going back to church with my baby girl charlotte and i am still breast feeding her, at the time if the service she always needs the second feed of the morning and today while feeding her with my new nursing top on :) after the service i was spoken to by the vicor wife that someone was going to ask me to move because i was feeding my daughter now after thinking about this allday it has brought new thoughts to my head, the thing is the church is praise for being the best family church and it is its really good the children go to sunday school and there is a creche for babies that cant sit still for an hour.
    the vicors wife was lovely about it and said she used to feed her children in church, but not the church i was at
    i was very discreet about feeding her and have fed her for the past three weeks of going to church so why now ? i ask
    i just wanted to ask some of opionions about this as it has made me a little less confident about feding my daughter in public now i have never been worried about this before as i think my child needs feeding which would people want a screaming child or a quite one :)
    but now i starting to think the oposite
    what should i do ?

2. Pixxie

Pixxie Mum to 1 little girl

At the end of the day Hun your baby needs feeding, would people rather you not feed her and have her cry through the service? Ignore them, it's just ignorance xxx

3. tinkerbel

thanks as i said i wasnt showing anything anyways just puts u down doesnt it :)

4. MelanieAnn

MelanieAnn Guest

I've fed in Church loads of times. I can't believe that there would be a problem. Anyway, it's specifically illegal to discriminate against BFing mums in Church in Scotland.

Mel

5. Pixxie

Pixxie Mum to 1 little girl

Yes it's against the law for someone to ask you to stop breastfeeding in a public place xx

6. Ju_bubbs

Ju_bubbs Proud single Mummy of 5!

down right rude, you feed your baby whereever you want and dont let stupid people put you off!

7. becstar

becstar Sleep is for the weak

Was it the vicar's wife who wanted you to move, or someone else?

Last I heard, Jesus was a booby baby...

8. Bee70

Bee70 Well-Known Member

I have fed in church loads of times. the only time i went into the baby room to do it is when i didn't have breastfeeding bra or top on, so would be very exposed!
    Church is a public place, so it is illegal for someone to ask/suggest that you either stop feeding or go somewhere else. Most churches are family orientated, and breastfeeding should be included in that remit. not only that, whoever it was who complained should have be concentrting on God - not on looking around the room and staring at people close enough to realise they are feeding.

9. kerrie24

kerrie24 me,him and 3 lo's

Out of everywhere ive fed my baby I would be more comfortable in church than most other places lol jesus must have been breastfed,its the way god made us to feed our babies!
    Hold your head high and god help this ignorant person if they tried asking me to move :haha:

10. linsayp

linsayp Well-Known Member

So.. If you got a bottle filled with formula out of your bag and started feeding her, would they have a problem with that? Probably not.
    It's just people being ignorant. I bet it was someone old who's not had children!

11. BeachPrincess

BeachPrincess Pregnant& MomTo A Prince

Feed away!!!!

12. eeyore007

eeyore007 New Mummy to Frances

I'm not religious, but even I know the little baby jesus was breast fed. So really you are doing as mummy mary did. I doubt anyone there would have a good argument about that!

Easily found on google:

Joel 2:16

"Gather the people, consecrate the assembly; bring together the elders, gather the children, those nursing at the breast"
    Here it is obvious that nursing publicly and in church is in God's will!

https://www.motheringfromtheheart.com/whatgod.htm

13. tinkerbel

someone had asked the vicors wife who said no to them but mentioned it to me and my sister the vicrs wife fed her children in church she was really nice about it

14. tinkerbel

thankyou everyone made me feel alot better :) and the bible passage mad me chuckle

15. Mrs RC

Mrs RC Lucas' Mummy!

I think you're so lucky to be able to feed in church!! My ds is so distractible and when he was little got wind and screamed so I used to go to the crèche room as it was easier for me.

Our church was recently renovated and they added a feeding and changing room off the crèche room with a nursig chair and cushions in - i was so impressed!!!

Don't worry what Others think, if your baby indeed feeding then feed where you're comfortable!!

Xxx

16. xpinkyperkyx

xpinkyperkyx mother of 1 and pregnant!

i have fed both my children in church, molly was 7 months when we started going and i had to feed her during the service, i felt really uncomfortable feeding in public but really needed to feed so i did then after the service my DH said that one of the older ladies was giving me looks so i spoke to her she said it made he feel uncomfortable and not wanting to make a fuss i just said that i'd sit at the other side the following week and all was ok from then on, but since having charlie i've had no problem feeding in public-i have fed him during the service a few times and the only comment i've had is a woman saying how amazed she was at how fast i could get him attatched and feeding!!! i wouldn't let it worry you too much hun because at the end of the day it is their problem not yours, you are using what God created to feed your baby x

17. Joyzerelly

Joyzerelly Mama to two darlings

I decline her offer to be moved politely and feed my baby regardless. Ridiculous woman (the vicar's wife, not you!) :)

18. tinkerbel

oh no the vicors wife was just passing the message on that other people may not like me feeding her the vicors wife fed her children in church when they where little the vicors wife is really nice :)

19. LankyDoodle

LankyDoodle Well-Known Member

I breastfeed in church and if anyone asked me to stop then I'd have to have strong words! Jesus wasn't formula fed and I strongly suspect Mary didn't have a nursing top.

She was 5 months when she was christened and I fed her discreetly. It was part of Harvest Festival in our small rural church. Since then, the 78 year old husband of the person who owns the field and shelter we rent for our horse, will not speak to me at all and gives me filthy looks! I received a filthy look while I was doing it so I know what it's about, but the vicar had already said to me it was all fine to do that when I was chatting to her during arrangements. My usual church is bigger and much more family orientated with a bigger range of ages.

20. flump34

flump34 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is about legal rights - it's about being sensitive to other people. BFing can be distracting to older (and younger!) people, so I guess it's about asserting your rights and baby's needs sensitively, so people can continue to worship without distraction.

I used to sit at the front to BF #1, so no-one but the leader and vicar knew it was happening, but it would have been very distracting if, say, a young male trainee was preaching, so not appropriate. I also wouldn't do it if I was sharing a pew with an elderly or very young man.

I also had an unfortunate incident when baby came off the boob during communion, just as the communicants turned around to go back to their seats! :blush:

Of course you have your rights, hun, but I can see why Mrs Vicar chose to mention it.xx