Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalaland09

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is doing this and why. I always thought I would, but decided not to as it seems pointless and just painful for LO. My fellow Americans think I'm setting him up to be bullied. OH is English and said LO would be bullied if we lived in England and he was circumcised.

I got my son circumcised when he was born, mostly because his dad was. Basically, I left it up to my OH because he has the same thing goin on down there. lol. It was just a personal choice for us.

I hope it's ok that I answer even though I'm not currently preg? I have 3 boys...

All 3 of mine are done, granted it's pretty common practice in the US but I heard a new statistic of like 60% now are not circ'd here? Maybe it was only 60% are now..something like that. So I don't think you should worry about that part of it. We chose to because their dad was, we preferred for them to be, and to us the small health benefits were worth it. I know some say there are no benefits but I disagree...but I also think that they aren't "enough" to make it where every child is...I think it's fully up to the parent and what they feel is best for their kids.

Oh and I'm in TX too :) What part are you from?

I live in Houston. My dr. basically said to do what y'all did, which is "whatever dad is." Hopefully the playing field gets leveled here so he doesn't get teased too much. Out of all of my friends, I'm the only one who would choose not to circumcise.

Do boys really compare penis' all the time? Seriously...

LO will not be circumcised if he's a boy because it seems pointless to me. My OH is European (Italian) and uncirc'ed, but even if he'd been American LO would be uncirc'ed if I had my way. I see no reason to do it and "like dad" is not enough for me personally. One of the biggest proponents though of getting baby boys circ'ed though is a Dad who has been circ'ed, or so I've noticed. In the same way, uncirc'ed men want their sons uncirc'ed. I personally think it's because of how much value individual men place on their "equipment" and the way it should be/look is extended to their sons.

It used to be that 80% of Americans were circ'ed. The number is down to 60%, just to clarify where that number is from. Stats are not universal. Some areas have higher rates of it than others etc. Most Americans circ their sons out of tradition, religious or cultural (this is what like Dad is all about).

There is another thread on this topic atm in pregnancy club and it has got very heated!! My personal choice is not to have my lo circumcised, I have never seen anyone that has been!

I think its a case of each to their own, my LO wont be getting done both OH and i agree on that unless its for medical reasons then hey ho its out of our hands xx

I don't understand why people want their baby to undergo that kind of pain just for tradition.

And i don't understand the 'everyone else does it so we have to'-arguement either.

I certainly dont believe in any health benefits either. Just teach the kid to wash himself properly.

And tbh you can't prevent teasing. Kids will always find something to tease about.

I was really worried about circumcision because my hubby is a born Muslim. I converted a while ago and while circumcision is something Muslims are supposed to do, I just could NOT let anybody chop off part of my baby!

At first, my husband said that if we have a son, he will be a Muslim so he will be circumcised and he wouldn't hear any other way. Since then, I've made him understand how strongly I feel about it and he agreed that we wouldn't get it done. If we have a son, once he's old enough to make the decision for himself, he's welcome to get it done.

From the religious point of view, if anyone is going to be judged for my son not being circumcised, well I'll happily take that! I don't see how anyone could/should be punished for not wanting to hurt their child. Medically, I don't know of any convincing arguments in favour of it. Teach your child to wash properly and wear a condom and there's no problem. My husband did raise the issue of our son 'feeling different' or being teased... but as far as I'm aware, Muslim boys do not go waving their willy around in public anyway! I don't even think Muslim parents normally undress in front of their own children... but that's another issue! And even if our son knew he was different or was teased, I hope to teach him enough self-confidence to deal with it. Kids will always find something to tease each other about.

Hey hun, just a warning to you that you may get a bit of debate in this thread, there was a previous thread on this that got quite heated, being a public forum and such a controversial topic. Just thought 'd let you know :)

Can anyone tell me (I'm not religious myself) why you get it done for religious reasons? Just out of curiosity.

My ex boyfriend being catholic was done (never thought to ask, he also wasn't very Catholic :blush: there's another argument in itself) and my husband hasn't, personally it looks so much better not done and I feel it must be there for a reason, to protect his bits surely?

https://www.cirp.org/library/history/

:shock: blimey thank you! It only confirms to be that boys bits should be left alone! This quote did it for me:

The Canadian Paediatric Society revisited the matter of neonatal circumcision in 1996. A new evidence-based policy statement was issued that strengthened its 1975 recommendation, stating that circumcision is medically unnecessary. The CPS recommended: "Circumcision should not be routinely performed."

TBH, I have never seen an uncircumcised penis before, but since DH is, I would have my child circumcised, however, I wouldn't judge anyone for not doing it and I can totally understand why they wouldn't want to!

Well I'm not sure about other religions but in Islam my understanding is that boys have it done because some of the early prophets had it done and because Muhammed said it was the thing to do. I've just asked hubby and he says it's because of a covenant with God - circumcision is one of the signs that you're one of God's people. (What about the girls, I want to know!)

Muslims are (in my opinion) almost obsessive about cleanliness (you wash after going to the loo and five times a day before prayers and your prayers don't count if you've done something to 'cancel out' your washing, like going to the loo or bleeding), so I think that hygiene is probably the real reason behind it. If you look at a lot of the more practical religious laws, like not eating pork for Muslims or keeping milk and meat separate for Jews, even if the religion doesn't say so, there was a very practical reason for those laws when they were made. I don't necessarily think those reasons apply today (we know how to raise and cook pork without yukky parasites and we have plenty of water for washing dirty boy bits!) but it's still part of the religious law.

As for Christians, I always thought that they normally weren't circumcised.

Hi. Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. The reason that dr's sometimes push for the circ to be done is that not all males are good about self cleanliness. Underneath the foreskin sweat and bacteria can build up there and even lead to a nasty infection especially if he was of sexual age and having sexual relations and we all know how miserable those bladder infections and such are. So if you choose to leave your son un-circ'ed then I would recommend making sure to teach them very good self cleaning habits that they will hopefully continue past their childhood. That would be my greatest concern honestly. Other than that unless you have exact religious reasons for doing it, I think its a personal choice. Good luck. :hugs:

Just curious if anyone is doing this and why. I always thought I would, but decided not to as it seems pointless and just painful for LO. My fellow Americans think I'm setting him up to be bullied. OH is English and said LO would be bullied if we lived in England and he was circumcised.
I told my husband, before we were even really together, that I'd leave that decision up to the man. I have no penis, so what would I know about it? All I know is that *I* sure as heck would hate to be circumcised (if you don't know about female circumcision in some cultures... oh my god, look it up! :cry: ). My husband doesn't want our son(s) to be circumcised, so that's our decision. If our son wants to have it done later in life, that's his decision. It makes sense to me though. I don't want to mangle my child's body, for whatever reasons doctors give. I wouldn't do it to my daughters, so why should I do it to the boys??

I've never heard of anyone being circumcised before... never known it!!! Maybe that's being brought up where I was, NE England. Never occured to me, never would have. I think in the back of my mind hidden somewhere is the thought that it's something that people of the Jewish faith do/did, completely alien to me... I can't believe so many in the States are!!

I've never heard of anyone being circumcised before... never known it!!! Maybe that's being brought up where I was, NE England. Never occured to me, never would have. I think in the back of my mind hidden somewhere is the thought that it's something that people of the Jewish faith do/did, completely alien to me... I can't believe so many in the States are!!
There's pressure and false information from medical professionals on this issue, that's why most people in the states circumcise their sons. It's really actually quite sickening to me, but... that's me.

And, yes, it is mostly a Jewish thing to do, in most other places.

It's only a recent thing that they started to use anesthetic too! Where's that angry emoticon...? (too lazy to find one)

Found some info. on the subject and thought I'd put it out there...

1. Many older men, who have bladder or prostate gland problems, also develop difficulties with their foreskins due to their surgeon's handling, cleaning, and using instruments. Some of these patients will need circumcising. Afterwards it is often astonishing to find some who have never ever seen their glans (knob) exposed before!

2. Some older men develop cancer of the penis - about 1 in 1000 - fairly rare, but tragic if you or your son are in that small statistic. Infant circumcision gives almost 100%protection, and young adult circumcision also gives a large degree of protection.

3. Cancer of the cervix in women is due to the Human Papilloma Virus. It thrives under and on the foreskin from where it can be transmitted during intercourse. An article in the British Medical Journal in April 2002 suggested that at least 20% of cancer of the cervix would be avoided if all men were circumcised.

4. Protection against HIV and AIDS. Another British Medical Journal article in May 2000 suggested that circumcised men are 8 times less likely to contract the HIV virus. (It is very important here to say that the risk is still far too high and that condoms and safe sex must be used - this applies also to preventing cancer of the cervix in women who have several partners.)

5. Lots of men, and their partners, prefer the appearance of their penis after circumcision, It is odour-free, it feels cleaner, and they enjoy better sex. Awareness of a good body image is a very important factor in building self confidence.

6. Balanitis is an unpleasant, often recurring, inflammation of the glans. It is quite common and can be prevented by circumcision.

7. Urinary tract infections sometimes occur in babies and can be quite serious. Circumcision in infancy makes it 10 times less likely.

There was more there, but it was mostly trying to convince people that they should do it...I just tried to extrapolate the facts from the trying to convince.

Personally, I chose to have my son circumcised first and foremost because I have been with both an uncircumcised and a circumcised male. I much preferred the look of the circumcised penis and enjoyed sex much more with the circumcised male (this could've been because of the males themselves and have nothing to do with the circumci-zation of them...yes, I made that word up :) ). I also was constantly getting urinary tract infections when I was with the uncircumcised male. In speaking with my doctor, I found out that no matter HOW often my boyfriend at the time cleaned himself, because there are sweat glands so close within 30-45 minutes there is sweat and bacteria underneath the "hood".

I couldn't understand, if there were any benefits at all, why I shouldn't do it. I thought it would be like saying I shouldn't get his shots because of the pain and swelling of the injection site.

However, these were the reasons for my decision which is what you asked for. You have to make sure that whatever decision YOU make is right for you and your spouse/significant other.

I would like to state though, that there is a VAST difference in female and male circumcision. Female circumcision is not the "removal of an unnecessary portion of the genitals", but instead the removal of the portion of the genitals that provides PLEASURE during sex. I just feel that taking something OFF and taking something OUT are two completely different stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back